Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Alexandria Airport (HBE) Hassles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club

I have an 24-hour transit at HBE next month and have booked the Iberotel hotel which is on the coast at Borg el Arab.

I arrive at HBE from SSH on MS422 at 10:50 and depart the following day on QR1316 (A class) to DOH at 10:45. Quite civilised times I thought.

However, never having been to HBE before, I was wondering what would be the best way to get to/from the hotel. I was thinking maybe a taxi, but would that be a wise option for me. Are there any sensible alternatives?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grace B
I have an 24-hour transit at HBE next month and have booked the Iberotel hotel which is on the coast at Borg el Arab.

I arrive at HBE from SSH on MS422 at 10:50 and depart the following day on QR1316 (A class) to DOH at 10:45. Quite civilised times I thought.

However, never having been to HBE before, I was wondering what would be the best way to get to/from the hotel. I was thinking maybe a taxi, but would that be a wise option for me. Are there any sensible alternatives?
I'm guessing taxi-type alternatives, as public transport might be sparse and spartan...

The hotel will certainly be able to rustle up a car: worth calling them as they could surprise you by offering the service, but it'll probably come at a price

There'll be agencies in the airport arrivals area anxious to help you, if you don't want to deal directly with taxistas.

Both Careem and Uber operate in Alexandria and their aps suggest fares of around EGP200 - which gives a base level for negotiating with taxis. It's quite a hike to the beaches, so that seems reasonable.

Might be worth installing the Careem ap.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I had no problem the other day using Uber to get a ride into the city. If that fails there are plenty of cabs available as soon as you walk across to the parking lot where they all hang out - you will just have to bargain.

One thing about Uber - the app will suggest two spots in the parking lot to meet your driver. However, my driver was waiting for me standing in the group of taxi drivers/families/friends congregating across from the terminal exit. He recognized me I guess from my photo, and I was also one of the only caucasian people around... So you may need to look for them there.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:29 am
Original Poster

I looked at Uber and the estimated cost was similar to that quoted by my hotel for a car and driver, so I've opted for the latter.

Got to be careful what you do at HBE at midnight. (a small schedule change from the morning arrival!)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Well, I've now completed my first transit through HBE. Arrived just after midnight on changed MS flight and the car arranged by the hotel was waiting, the driver holding a big printed sign just outside the terminal. No hassles, taxis or ubers. Just convenience and civility (although the drive on those roads with that crazy traffic for 30 mins after midnight was a little bit harrowing).

The cost was LE 200 each way, which I personally consider to be quite reasonable under the circumstances, and I will certainly do this again when next transiting HBE for a day in August.

Oh, and the hotel was wonderful, right on the beach, with beautiful weather. A great way to transit HBE if you've got the time. What's not to like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.