Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo airport hassles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Cairo airport hassles?

My wife and I (American citizens, for what it's worth) will fly into Cairo's Terminal 1 on Qatar and then fly out of Terminal 1 on British Airways a few days later. From the little bit of research I've done so far, it seems like T1 is much less organized than T3, particularly for outgoing passengers.

So...any hassles we should anticipate on arrival or departure? And particularly when departing, how much extra time should we leave simply for clearing security to get into T1 and then for getting to our flight? Does it help at all that we'll be flying business class when departing (and upon arrival, if that makes any difference)?

I've also read that for departures there are folks outside T1 who claim that for a tip they will expedite getting through the lines. My inclination is not to get involved with that, unless folks advise otherwise.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Head down, move swiftly, don't get anyone involved although they will try. Politely decline. Make sure you have a copy of your ticket or BP for the security guard. Prior to the first security check.

Usually check in and immigration is fast. Secondary Security is at the gate. Lounges are dire.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Only hassle I can recall is lots of people wanting to "help" you with your luggage.

Exit cab, don't linger. The minute the cabbie opens the trunk, get a tight grip on your bags and move directly to the airport doors. Get inside...this is where the paper printout of your itin helps, as it's the first checkpoint.

Once past that, it was a pretty normal experience. I remember we had access to a lounge that looked like a barebones cafeteria. Water, soda, no booze.
Mahsa likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA DL
Hassles

I believe BA just relocated to the new terminal 2. Not sure about Qatar.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for this information, folks!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Don't worry: thousands get through the ordeal every day!

And certainly don't panic. If you decline help, as you're probably going to, be polite about it, and try to smile The guys are trying to earn a living - and on (rare) occasions they really can be useful, depending on the quantity of bags and the queues.

The business-class entry security should be quite clearly marked.

Do check which terminal you need, as T2 is coming on stream and should offer conditions close to, or better than, T3. certainly light years ahead of T1

The lounges always get stick. For me they're simply unremarkable, once you accept there's no booze. If you are used to the basic level lounges at US airports, you'll be OK.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:55 am

I was there five days ago, checking in at Terminal 1. It was a zoo.

Admittedly, I arrive too early: I was there 3 hours before the flight, and the check-in counters did not start to operate yet. Unfortunately, 300 more pax on my flight were there early, too, and they all lined up for security. This was solely to enter the check-in area.

Lots of touts approached me and offered "number one for check-in" service. I said no and asked for the first class line (which did not exist; there was no dedicated security line for premium passengers.) One of them grabbed my bag and whisked me through security. I then waited patiently at the counter for the Emirates guys to start processing the steadily increasing queue. It was probably the most disorganized check-in process I ever experienced.

Once this was done, immigration was easy (a cleaning lady offered me a pen to fill the forms and asked for a tip for this service). Then up to the "lounge", where people were smoking freely all over the place and no services whatsoever were provided.

Finally, a call for boarding, followed by a 30-minute wait for the (bus) gate to actually open. All in all, a truly third-world experience.

Shuly
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:46 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The last time I flew into T1, I was literally shoved out of the arrivals area, and into a taxi (not inside the taxi, but the passenger door).

Checking-in later that week, I was not allowed to exit the terminal (to check out a café in that underutilized airport shopping center) for whatever reason.

Not the most pleasant experience, but T3 is ok.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks again, folks. We've actually adjusted our plans to fly in and out of Cairo twice (despite your excellent observations!) in late February. Looks like the first time we arrive on Qatar, which might still be in T1 when we get there though could be T2 by that time. Then out on and back again on Egypt Air, T3. Then finally out on British Air, T2. So all in all, not as bad as it could have been.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:42 pm

T3 is far more civilized.

Shuly
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I found outside the airport people approaching to tell you that it is too hot today and therefore my pick up would probably not be coming. Once I said that I was being picked up by a friend and they would indeed be there no matter what the temperature was they went on their way.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I found outside the airport people approaching to tell you that it is too hot today and therefore my pick up would probably not be coming. Once I said that I was being picked up by a friend and they would indeed be there no matter what the temperature was they went on their way.
LOL. Pretty sure those are the same people who have approached me and said "the Egyptian Museum is closed today. But don't worry, I'm an Egyptologist and I can show you my own private museum..." (About 100 yards from the actual Egyptian Museum, which was obviously open and brimming with people...)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:57 pm

Hey Guys,

Trying to get some advice on Cairo ,

We arrive Cairo on EY and taking QR out . we have 2 hrs connection time . is it best we go through the transit or just enter and check our bags in? Should we check bags going into Cairo or carry as hand luggage?

We are family of 4 people and if we don't check bags, then each person will be holding two carry-on (scary)_
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by maudline9
Hey Guys,

We arrive Cairo on EY and taking QR out . we have 2 hrs connection time . is it best we go through the transit or just enter and check our bags in? Should we check bags going into Cairo or carry as hand luggage?

We are family of 4 people and if we don't check bags, then each person will be holding two carry-on (scary)_
That's a scary connection. An ill-conceived trip! Even with an on-time arrival you are nowhere near certain of enough time to go through the faffs of picking up bags and checking in: potentially changing terminals. Even without picking up bags. Think about trying to do that at a major airport where you live!

And having travelled EK with hand-baggage, why would you need or want to check it in for the QR sectors?

It has to be an airside transfer.

[Off-topic message edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 27, 2016 at 6:21 pm Reason: Thanks for notifying the moderators of the issue; please don't post about it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by maudline9
Hey Guys,

AFAIK, those are both T1. I can't answer your question about whether to check or carry-on, but I don't believe you'd have to deal with the scrum outside the airport doors.

Two hours...I *hope* this is one PNR with interlined bags and you following the normal transit procedures for CAI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.