Cairo airport hassles?

Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
AFAIK, those are both T1. I can't answer your question about whether to check or carry-on, but I don't believe you'd have to deal with the scrum outside the airport doors.

Two hours...I *hope* this is one PNR with interlined bags and you following the normal transit procedures for CAI.

Yes both are in T1 - verified.
But its two separate PNR so i can't check my bags all the way. I don't mind holdings bags, my concern is 2 hours enough for transit airside with 3 family members +myself, each holding two bags? I may just go a day before to avoid transfer and baggage stress

Last edited by maudline9; Dec 27, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by maudline9
Yes both are in T1 - verified.
But its two separate PNR so i can't check my bags all the way. I don't mind holdings bags, my concern is 2 hours enough for transit airside with 3 family members +myself, each holding two bags? I may just go a day before to avoid transfer and baggage stress

We have different appetites for risk. I'd not want to travel with the worry of a delay on arrival into Cairo. Two hours is already cutting it extremely fine: any irregularity and you're stuffed.

The idea of day before travel is a good one. Presumably you're making a handsome saying by travelling on two tickets, so treat yourself to a stop-over Rooms usually run at around $60 at the more affordable airport hotel, three times that at the one connected to T3. Visas are $25.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
We have different appetites for risk. I'd not want to travel with the worry of a delay on arrival into Cairo. Two hours is already cutting it extremely fine: any irregularity and you're stuffed.

The idea of day before travel is a good one. Presumably you're making a handsome saying by travelling on two tickets, so treat yourself to a stop-over Rooms usually run at around $60 at the more affordable airport hotel, three times that at the one connected to T3. Visas are $25.
+1. Go the day before. I wouldn't feel comfortable going landside to recheck bags on a two-hour int'l-to-int'l itin in *any* major airport.

Depending on time of day, you could even do a couple things in and around Cairo that would be fun. If you have a morning available, go out to Giza right when it opens and you beat most of the bus tours. If it's an afternoon, go the Egyptian Museum or hire a driver to take you out to a couple of the less-crowded pyramid sites.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks guys, we decided to go a day before, I will report back. Happy New Year!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Later this month I have a 2 hr 50 min connection in CAI. Arriving QR 1st from DOH and transferring to Egyptair Y class to IST (I'm Star Gold).

I'm reasonably familiar with Cairo airport, though I've previously only walked through the landside part of T2, not arrived at it.

I'm in two minds as to whether to try for an airside transfer (if indeed that's possible from T2), or to just enter Egypt (and pay $25) and walk across to T3.

Any thoughts on the best way to do the transfer? Oh, and I'll only have a carry-on.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
Later this month I have a 2 hr 50 min connection in CAI. Arriving QR 1st from DOH and transferring to Egyptair Y class to IST (I'm Star Gold).

I'm reasonably familiar with Cairo airport, though I've previously only walked through the landside part of T2, not arrived at it.

I'm in two minds as to whether to try for an airside transfer (if indeed that's possible from T2), or to just enter Egypt (and pay $25) and walk across to T3.

Any thoughts on the best way to do the transfer? Oh, and I'll only have a carry-on.
I'm not sure your class of travel has much bearing on the transfer process. What is important is whether you are travelling on a single ticket: the change in class suggests you are not, so i'm sure you are aware that your connection is not formally "protected".

There is, of course, a transfer process between the terminals, and that's what I'd use. A landside transfer could be hairy: it's not just a walk across to T3. The enhanced security checks to get into the terminal can cause horrendous jams - the premium line isn't quite as exclusive as you might hope for Though of course the numbers depend on the time of day.

if you go for the inter-terminal transfer, be prepared to chivvy the officials if things are not going smoothly.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

if you go for the inter-terminal transfer, be prepared to chivvy the officials if things are not going smoothly.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, you're right, it's two separate tickets. I'll give the inter-terminal airside transfer a go then (all other things being "normal"), and I do realise that I won't be "protected" if things go awry.

I have done airside transfers at CAI before, but only within T3. No particular problems with them, but long waits sitting on uncomfortable chairs for passport and boarding pass to be returned. I'm hoping that flying Egyptair and being star gold might help a little bit, but who knows?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
.. I'm hoping that flying Egyptair and being star gold might help a little bit, but who knows?
Yes, MS and the airport folk are a bit hand in glove: so putting yourself in the system, rather than going it alone, could ensure that you have a measure of protection even if things don't go to schedule.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:34 pm

I would like to arrange transport from the airport to the Le Meridian Pyramids at 1 AM. I don't use UBER and coming from the USA, will not have a GSM type cell phone. The hotel offers this service for 95 euros, which seems steep for Egypt. Any suggestions for booking a reliable and safe transfer late at night?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I would like to arrange transport from the airport to the Le Meridian Pyramids at 1 AM. I don't use UBER and coming from the USA, will not have a GSM type cell phone. The hotel offers this service for 95 euros, which seems steep for Egypt. Any suggestions for booking a reliable and safe transfer late at night?
I am in exactly the same position as you and have decided to book

https://www.cairoshuttlebus.com/
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
http://londoncabegypt.com/ is also a great alternative.

Nothing beats traversing the metropolis in a genuine London taxi.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
Arrow CAI arrivals and departures?

Great thread and thanks for info. I arrive in CAI on Air Sinai (I assume that lands Terminal 3) and am Star Gold. Is there a Fast track arrivals for those with Star Gold card? Does it make sense to get some arrivals service (all seem around 100USD as I just want to get to the Conrad hotel as smoothly as possible)? What are folks experience using Uber or is it best to just use a cab? Is there ATM available to get EGP to pay for cab in the arrivals area?

On departure am flying out a few days later QR First class, is it correct that all QR flights depart terminal 2? With no checked baggage is it still advisable to get to check in at T2 two hours in advance or should I leave more time?

Thanks, never have flown through CAI and read all sorts of stories online so appreciate your wisdom!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: aeroplan, united, Fairmont, SPG, HHonours
Originally Posted by Development
Great thread and thanks for info. I arrive in CAI on Air Sinai (I assume that lands Terminal 3) and am Star Gold. Is there a Fast track arrivals for those with Star Gold card? Does it make sense to get some arrivals service (all seem around 100USD as I just want to get to the Conrad hotel as smoothly as possible)? What are folks experience using Uber or is it best to just use a cab? Is there ATM available to get EGP to pay for cab in the arrivals area?

On departure am flying out a few days later QR First class, is it correct that all QR flights depart terminal 2? With no checked baggage is it still advisable to get to check in at T2 two hours in advance or should I leave more time?

Thanks, never have flown through CAI and read all sorts of stories online so appreciate your wisdom!
hello - If you are going to Conrad hotel on the Nile.. it might be worth while to have a meet and greet person from the hotel...they will usually meet you before the customs/immigration windows...I have used UBER extensively in Cairo without problems.. but not for the airport transportation (I believe Airport uber is shown as BLACK on the app...)
there are ATMs at the airport, but as you walk out towards the custom & immigration, there are several Bank serving windows ( Bank of Alexandria, The National Bank, Bank Misr etc ) you can simply exchange a small amount at any of them...
if you have no luggage to check in... two hours are plenty before departure - but you didnt indicate you destination - so check before you leave.
You said you are staying for few days - so I hope you have a wonderful time...so much to see... safe travels
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
Originally Posted by nh100
hello - If you are going to Conrad hotel on the Nile.. it might be worth while to have a meet and greet person from the hotel...they will usually meet you before the customs/immigration windows...I have used UBER extensively in Cairo without problems.. but not for the airport transportation (I believe Airport uber is shown as BLACK on the app...)
there are ATMs at the airport, but as you walk out towards the custom & immigration, there are several Bank serving windows ( Bank of Alexandria, The National Bank, Bank Misr etc ) you can simply exchange a small amount at any of them...
if you have no luggage to check in... two hours are plenty before departure - but you didnt indicate you destination - so check before you leave.
You said you are staying for few days - so I hope you have a wonderful time...so much to see... safe travels

Thanks so much. Excited to be in his amazing city - only sorry my visit is for such a short time. Do you have an estimate as to how much taxi fare would be to the areas where Conrad on Nile is? I will look into meet and greet if it makes the process easier. On the return trip I am heading out on QR to DOH.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Development

Really there's no need to go to the expense of being met airside by the hotel fixer. Getting a visa is simplicity itself, and after that you simply go through immigration (not a toughie!) and head landside.

Between passports and exiting through customs you'll probably be approached by a limo company offering transport: don't dismiss them out of hand, but you might do better from the limo desk in the arrivals area after customs.

Do not under any circumstances go off with any freelancer who might approach you.

I think up to EGP200 should be a fair limo offer. I base that on paying around EGP100 for a Careem/Uber to the Semiramis, about the same distance.

You could look at https://www.cairoshuttlebus.com/ and arrange things before your leave for Cairo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.