Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iran on our own

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Iran on our own

We (a middle-aged couple) are thinkng of visiting Iran (actually Teheran only) for a week during May / June 2017. We would rather visit on our own without engaging the services of an expensive middleman, i.e. agent.

How feasible is the idea? From getting a visa on arrival, to booking a reasonable hotel at reasonable cost and getting taxis to move around Teheran? Are there any other caveats that we should watch out for?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by phoochka
Are there any other caveats that we should watch out for?
Remember the phrase "Caveat Emptor?" It applies to your concerns, but might be rephrased to "Caveat Viator:"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...255116394.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/middle...nese-american/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...hikers_by_Iran
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
We (a middle-aged couple) are thinkng of visiting Iran (actually Teheran only) for a week during May / June 2017. We would rather visit on our own without engaging the services of an expensive middleman, i.e. agent.

How feasible is the idea? From getting a visa on arrival, to booking a reasonable hotel at reasonable cost and getting taxis to move around Teheran? Are there any other caveats that we should watch out for?
People of Indian origin who've visited Iran tell me they've have a very good time there, and faced less problems there than when visiting places in South America (due to crime in many places) or Europe.

There is a quality hotel deficit in Iran, at least by measure of international standards for comparably-sized cities. The more common major issues may be in getting a visa allowing you to travel as you wish and the language issues. I'd say it's worth hiring a good English-speaking tour guide for the entirety of the trip.

For all the scare-mongering that goes on on and off FT, Iran is basically fine to visit as a legitimate tourist for most ordinary persons legally admissible into Iran.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Nationality or more specifically what passport will you use?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:30 am

As mentioned, visa and freedom to travel will depend on your nationality.

I traveled to Iran in 2011 independently for 3 weeks (single woman) w/o any issues. I traveled on a budget so can't help you with hotels.

Tehran hotels do seem to have increased a lot since then. Tehran traffic is terrible so I suggest using the subway or walking and avoiding taxis unless absolutely necessary. I don't think a guide is necessary. Get a local sim. Definitely go! Iranians are so friendly and helpful. If you can spend more time outside Tehran I'd recommend doing so - Isfahan and Kashan are 4-5 hours away and well worth a few days.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nationality or more specifically what passport will you use?
EU passport
US resident
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Remember the phrase "Caveat Emptor?" It applies to your concerns, but might be rephrased to "Caveat Viator:"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe...255116394.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/middle...nese-american/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...hikers_by_Iran

That is a fair warning, but hang-gliding and hiking in border regions are not activities that any sensible person should pursue in any sensitive territory such as Iran, USSR etc. Try doing that as a foreigner near military installations in the USA or UK and you may well face similar consequences.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
EU passport
US resident
Iran is one of the safest places in the world to travel on your own.
You will find people helpful to guests of all nationalities.

Besides, Tehran is a big city, with people used to all kinds of foreigners. You ll be amazed how many you will see.
You dont need a guide if you are just staying there.

My friend is UK-Indian, and she had a great time solo in Iran.

The only cavaet is will the US find out you went? That is the only issue I can see with your trip.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Iran is one of the safest places in the world to travel on your own.
You will find people helpful to guests of all nationalities.

Besides, Tehran is a big city, with people used to all kinds of foreigners. You ll be amazed how many you will see.
You dont need a guide if you are just staying there.

My friend is UK-Indian, and she had a great time solo in Iran.

The only cavaet is will the US find out you went? That is the only issue I can see with your trip.
The OP is a US resident. Unless and until the OP ends up giving up US resident status and needing to use the US Visa Waiver Program to travel to the US, the Iran trip shouldn't be a problem even if/when the US finds out.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Booking a hotel in Iran

Does anyone have an idea how we could book a hotel in Tehran? Many usual OTAs have no hotels listed for Tehran and a couple of European OTAs have one or two hotels listed at very high rates.

How does one book a hotel in advance? Our flight lands around 2 AM!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

Does anyone have an idea how we could book a hotel in Tehran? Many usual OTAs have no hotels listed for Tehran and a couple of European OTAs have one or two hotels listed at very high rates.

How does one book a hotel in advance? Our flight lands around 2 AM!
AccorHotels.com works to book the Ibis hotel and Novotel hotel there.

Hrs.de is the site some use to book Iranian hotels.

A lot of bookings in Iran are still done the very old way: call up on the phone.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AccorHotels.com works to book the Ibis hotel and Novotel hotel there.

Hrs.de is the site some use to book Iranian hotels.

A lot of bookings in Iran are still done the very old way: call up on the phone.
Yes, I did see the Accor properties featured on a number of sites - usually showing the same photo for both the Novotel and the Ibis, along with very steep rates (e.g. €130 for an Ibis)

Thanks for the hrs.de tip - had not thought of checking them. Having done so, I found that they too feature only the two Accor properties and nothing else
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
The Accor properties are pretty expensive indeed. Haven't seen them below 100 euro. Although hotel rates in Tehran are quite high, especially as you consider the very medicore standards. The only upside of the 2 Accor properties is that they are opposit the terminal building. So if you are neckered after a long flight, it's just a short walk to your bed.

A taxiride to town in the middle of the night takes around 45 - 60 minutes, depending on where you need to be obviously. When you plan to go to Tehran they should have finished the extension of the metro to IKA international airport. It's supposed to be operational before the Iranian new year, which is the 21st of March, but I don't have a clue if they are going to finish in time. And not sure if it will drive at night or that you feel like using it after a long flight.

I travel to Iran once or twice a year. Stayed in 3 different places:

Homa hotel: One of the high-end hotels. Expect to pay around 150 dollar per night. For that price you get what I would say a 4-star hotel with 3 star service and breakfast. You should be able to reserve it my email.

Saina hotel: A 3 star hotel, but very clean, very modern and with friendly English speaking staff and quite a nice breakfast. Costs around 80 dollar. Can be reserved by email or their websiteform.

The last 2 times I stayed at bandbtehran, one of the few in Iran I think. It's not a hotel obviously, but that makes it much more relaxed. And you get a little inside in Iranian culture if you like it. A double room with a simple but tasty breakfast costs 50 or 60 euro i think.

All 3 can easily be found with Google. I didn't post any URL, as I am not sure it's allowed.

If you have the chance, go in May instead of June. June will be hot. If you need any more help regarding Tehran, feel free to ask.

Last edited by regtur; Dec 30, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The OP is a US resident. Unless and until the OP ends up giving up US resident status and needing to use the US Visa Waiver Program to travel to the US, the Iran trip shouldn't be a problem even if/when the US finds out.
Oh ... I wouldn't be so confident about that. Yes, the OP may well (eventually) be re-admitted to the US but I have multiple not-so-pleasant experiences (and these fora are full of many reports) of US border agents who gleefully pounce on perfectly legitimate stamps in entrants' passports, just for harassment purposes. Iran? Ai yai yai. I'd imagine that would have to be among the diciest of all at the moment.

But this is just speculation on my part, based on an almost-abusive grilling I got once for having a Saudi stamp, at the very time when G.W. Bush was proclaiming the Saudis 'America's best friend in the Arab world'. Go figure. Maybe someone who actually has an Iranian stamp in an EU passport can chime in here?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

regtur, many thanks indeed for this most helpful post. Let me dig around these hotel sites and I might well take you up on your offer for further help.

May I ask whether you can communicate in Farsi? If not, how easy / hard is it to get by on English?

And what is it like to negotiate with taxi drivers? How much of an ordeal is it - moderate or extreme?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.