Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israeli Work Visa Required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus

I wrote to the Israeli consulate in Washington to try to find out whether I might need a visa for my upcoming visit. I very much doubt I will, but I'd rather know in advance.

After an exchange of emails I've been directed to have my employer ask the Ministry of the Interior. I suppose I can go that route -- though I'll be my employer's representative in the discussion -- but I'd be confident I don't need a visa if I could just find an official list of requirements.

The Embassy of Israel web site (and the same page accessed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) lists the types of visas but doesn't say what conditions require a work visa. I'm looking for something like this.

I'm going for one week's training, as an employee of an American company. The training will be provided by an Israeli company under contract to my employer. I really doubt I need a visa but it would really suck to be turned back at the border.

Can anyone point me at reliable information?

[EDIT] I just got a reply to my last email to the consulate, in which I asked how to contact the Ministry. The answer: "You can try look for it online / google it." :-(
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I wrote to the Israeli consulate in Washington to try to find out whether I might need a visa for my upcoming visit. I very much doubt I will, but I'd rather know in advance.

After an exchange of emails I've been directed to have my employer ask the Ministry of the Interior. I suppose I can go that route -- though I'll be my employer's representative in the discussion -- but I'd be confident I don't need a visa if I could just find an official list of requirements.

The Embassy of Israel web site (and the same page accessed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) lists the types of visas but doesn't say what conditions require a work visa. I'm looking for something like this.

I'm going for one week's training, as an employee of an American company. The training will be provided by an Israeli company under contract to my employer. I really doubt I need a visa but it would really suck to be turned back at the border.

[EDIT] I just got a reply to my last email to the consulate, in which I asked how to contact the Ministry. The answer: "You can try look for it online / google it." :-(
Your reply was simply them saying, Welcome to Israel.

Training isnt working, unless you are the person who will be training others, and besides the Israeli company wont be giving you a check or any money for being trained = its not work.

If you will answer as you did above you better be prepared with letters from the place you will be trained, atesting to that. And have a list of your contacts over there and their tel #s available, as most probably you will be asked to come to a room where you can be Welcomed all over again
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Your reply was simply them saying, Welcome to Israel.
I admit I had that feeling.

Originally Posted by craz
isnt working, unless you are the person who will be training others, and besides the Israeli company wont be giving you a check or any money for being trained = its not work.

If you will answer as you did above you better be prepared with letters from the place you will be trained, atesting to that. And have a list of your contacts over there and their tel #s available
They're training me, and my company is paying them.

I'm not going to lie at the border, so I'll make sure to have appropriate documentation.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:59 pm

You'll be fine without a work visa.
Your question to the consulate is considered to be a "kitbag question"

Jut be sure to have your documents in order, i.e. have copies of the training invite, your hotel booking confirmation, return flight etc.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
You'll be fine without a work visa.
Your question to the consulate is considered to be a "kitbag question"

Jut be sure to have your documents in order, i.e. have copies of the training invite, your hotel booking confirmation, return flight etc.
I didn't want to do what I've often seen on FT and ask a nervous question about immigration without starting somewhere authoritative. When I couldn't find a hint of an answer on the embassy site, I thought a direct question would probably tell me. Or, as it happens, not.

I like the expression, but I've had a couple of bad experiences at borders and didn't want another one, so it seemed worthwhile to ask in advance.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I've had a couple of bad experiences at borders and didn't want another one, so it seemed worthwhile to ask in advance.
If this is true, then you should really get a work visa.

Here is what may happen:

Israeli immigration officer: Welcome to Israel. What is the purpose of your visit?

You: I'm here to attend training at XYZ Company.

IIO: Why are you attending the training?

You: My company told me to come.

IIO: And did you get a work visa?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
If this is true, then you should really get a work visa.

Here is what may happen:

Israeli immigration officer: Welcome to Israel. What is the purpose of your visit?

You: I'm here to attend training at XYZ Company.

IIO: Why are you attending the training?

You: My company told me to come.

IIO: And did you get a work visa?
I agree with the so called above dialogue with the exception of the last line. Had the OP been the one doing the training and not being trained Id agree with it. The OP isnt going to be working whatsoever in Israel, if anything they will be a student

OP: since you want to be straight up, then as I posted make sure you have printed out all your info, where you will be training, by whom worth while having a letter from your company as well atesting to them sending you to be trained. Make sure to have the name/s of some contact and their tel# at the training company. As well as your hotel confirmation. Needless to say make sure what ever name/s you give out if asked knows that you will be doing it so if called they can vouch for you, you dont want the person called to say I have no idea whom you are talking about
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you say you're studying or like a student, you could be asked for a student visa.

Shouldn't the training company, who presumably offers these sessions regularly for foreigners, be giving you a statement about whether a visa is needed?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you say you're studying or like a student, you could be asked for a student visa.

Shouldn't the training company, who presumably offers these sessions regularly for foreigners, be giving you a statement about whether a visa is needed?
I doubt that they will require a student visa for a week training thing. SVs are usually when a person will be staying in the country longer then what the standard tourist visa allows a person to stay. And the OP wont be working in Israel or being paid by an Israeli company if anything an Israeli company will be paid and not by the OP

I think as long as the OPs ducks are all in order and they can reasonably show that they will be under training for the week, that they will be admited with a tourist visa (blue card)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:45 pm

You don't need a work visa in these circumstances. If you are asked, say that your visit is work related - meetings and some training. A work visa is required for longer stays when the local company is paying a salary, the employee wants to open a bank account, the employee does not want to bother with renewing his tourist visa, etc, etc.

I have worked for companies that brought in people for a week or two from overseas suppliers to help install equipment, supervise, provide training, etc. None of them had a work visa.

If you look at the paperwork involved in obtaining such a visa, one can guess that the Ministry doesn't want to waste its time for your type of short visit.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by mbgg
I have worked for companies that brought in people for a week or two from overseas suppliers to help install equipment, supervise, provide training, etc. None of them had a work visa.
+1, Ms. Ditto has traveled to TLV multiple times for exactly these kinds of activities and had no issues.
As indicated in the link provided by the OP...
B/2 Visitor's Visa

A B/2 visa is granted to someone who wishes to stay in Israel for only a short time (for a visit, tourism, a business meeting or study in a Hebrew ulpan). A person who enters Israel on a B/2 visa is not allowed to work in the State of Israel.
I suppose this is more semantic than anything else, a colleague of mine went to the US several years ago to one of the company offices, but instead of saying to the CBP agent that he is coming for business meetings, he said he came to work, and was therefore denied entrance.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Regarding a "student visa," even if OP required one, which he doesn't, students aren't required to have a student visa when entering Israel. One can enter on a tourist visa and get the student visa later. In fact, because the student visa is cheaper in Israel than from the embassies/consulates, universities and the like actually recommend taking care of the student visa only after arriving in Israel. There's no issue
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This all sounds like "business meetings" to me.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Americans going to Israel for employer-funded (or employer's supplier/client-funded training) for well less than even a month with no degree issued for it? Not commonly asked for a visa.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Americans going to Israel for employer-funded (or employer's supplier/client-funded training) for well less than even a month with no degree issued for it? Not commonly asked for a visa.
Thanks. I'll do my best to avoid being even a rare exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.