Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel. Begin or End in Jerusalem. Airport access.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG

I'm planning a trip to Israel in February. I have been thinking of starting in Tel Aviv, then a few days in the north (Haifa, Nazareth, etc.), then end in Jerusalem.

Is there any advantage to doing it in that direction rather than the opposite (start in Jerusalem,...)?

I'm planning to use some Hilton Reserve free nights at the Waldorf in Jerusalem, and my thought was, "why waste a night there when we're all jet-lagged and tired?"

But if our flight home is in the morning, would it be best to spend the last night in a hotel much closer to the airport? So after some days in Jerusalem, leave the city in the evening and go to a hotel near TLV? I mean, we aren't really going to have any time to do anything at all the last morning besides getting ourselves to the airport. Any opinions?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 pm

The airport is located between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem so you save at most 20 minutes driving if you move to Tel-Aviv. That's hardly worth the bother of an additional check-in and checkout. Take a taxi or the shuttle ("sherut") from Jerusalem to the airport; it is about a 45 minute ride.

Start off in Tel-Aviv, rent a car when you leave the city, tour the north, drive to Jerusalem via the Jordan Valley and the Dead Sea, return the car when you arrive in Jerusalem. You don't need a car in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv because of the traffic and parking problems.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Also, consider the day(s) of the week you might be somewhere. When I was last there, we took a taxi directly to Jerusalem (before sunrise) to start the trip. We then took the bus to Haifa, and then ended up taking a taxi (we were originally going to take the train) down to Tel Aviv. When I looked at the calendar and saw when Shabbat was going to be on the trip, I did not want to be in Jerusalem then. Some people might, but for us, we would be better off in a city with a lot more things open.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Good point by Eastbay1K

If you'll be in Israel on Shabbat (Jewish Sabbath, from Friday sunset to Saturday nightfall), then more will be open elsewhere. Haifa and Tel Aviv will have attractions opened and Haifa also has public transportation (all, including Jerusalem, have taxis though).

On the flip side, some enjoy seeing the bustling city come to a standstill, but the feelings wear off quickly
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When I looked at the calendar and saw when Shabbat was going to be on the trip, I did not want to be in Jerusalem then. Some people might, but for us, we would be better off in a city with a lot more things open.
There is more than enough to do in Jerusalem on a Saturday. The Old City is open for business as usual, except for sites in the Jewish Quarter. The Israel Museum is open and there is enough to see there for an entire day. Also open are the David's Citadel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum, the Museum of Islamic Art and the Ramparts Walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.