Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Unmarried couples in the UAE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.

Hi, we are looking planning a weeks holiday to Dubai & possibly Abu Dhabi. Another couple are looking to join us, however they are not married. As they would be tourists would be ok to visit and share a hotel room without any issue?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Whilst it's technically illegal, thousands of couples (visitors and expats) do it every year. People will assume they're married and refer to their 'husband' or 'wife'. The tourism industry would collapse overnight if the law were strictly enforced. Remember that many people/cultures do not change their name upon marriage. No need to pack the marriage certificate or wear rings.

Same with drinking alcohol without a licence. Just stay out of trouble and off the front pages of the tabloids and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP: My wife and I just returned from the UAE. We do not share a last name. No one asked us to prove our status.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
Just stay out of trouble and off the front pages of the tabloids and you'll be fine.
Exactly. Like most things in the UAE, it isn't a problem unless it is a problem. And then it's a big problem.

Keep in mind that even if you are a married couple, unless you were married in the UAE, the only proof of marriage that will keep you from being arrested should that be the preference of the police is a marriage certificate translated into Arabic and certified by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A regular marriage certificate from your home country is insufficient.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:57 pm

A little OT, I had an issue in Jordan once when I was sharing a room with a friend, the only reason I had a problem was because she was speaking Arabic, so the agent at the reception was sure that if she speaks Arabic, she must be Muslim, and if she is a Muslim, then it is not allowed for us to stay in the same room if we are not married.
Long story short, she switched to English and "convinced them" she is not Muslim, and then all was ok.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Just to confirm something that all the above posters seem to have assumed: is this "other couple" one male, one female?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Just to confirm something that all the above posters seem to have assumed: is this "other couple" one male, one female?
Actually, it doesn't make a difference. If you are a legally married same-sex couple from a jurisdiction that recognises it, the UAE will accept you as a couple on paper (but theoretically can still prosecute you for engaging in conjugal relations). I even know of an American living in the UAE who sponsored his same-sex spouse for a UAE residence visa.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Thanks everyone. FYI the other couple are straight
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Exactly. Like most things in the UAE, it isn't a problem unless it is a problem. And then it's a big problem..
Words to live by!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.