Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

advice on arriving TLV on Friday evening vs. Sat - and general Jerusalem hotel tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice on arriving TLV on Friday evening vs. Sat - and general Jerusalem hotel tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:26 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all, I thank you for your advice on the below questions, especially because I cannot seem to find a specific answer in past posts:

I am thinking to do a weekend trip to Jerusalem over the July 4 weekend because I'll be in Europe.

I'm considering Fri/Sat flying from Italy to TLV, and then flying out to home to US on Tuesday or Wednesday. This would be my first time to Israel/Middle East.

Two issues/questions:

1) Arriving on Friday night seems to be asking for trouble, because public transport is shut down for Shabbat. I am kind of a public transport / bus willing guy, and would hate to have to be extorted for a long taxi ride to Jerusalem. Or would you recommend staying in Tel Aviv for a day to see anything? The alternative I was considering is to arrive on Saturday after 8pm. I don't imagine renting a car makes sense for my itinerary.

2) I think I will stay in Jerusalem the entire time because probably not enough time to travel to other places in Israel between Saturday-Tuesday (thoughts?). Hotels in Jerusalem are a random bunch -- very no-name / hard to differentiate between offerings, and locations. Any quick tips on where to stay or how to sort between all the little places? I assume I will choose something ideally within reasonable distance of many typical tourist sights, but have no idea about the general geography of the city.

Thanks for any tips you can offer!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:36 pm

I would advise on going to TLV for at least a day, gives you a completely different perspective about Israel, a metered taxi to TLV should be around 40-45€, be careful not to get scammed by (unofficial) taxi drivers giving you a horrendous flat rate.

For comparison, getting on Saturday evening and taking the train to TLV will be less than 4€.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:07 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks for that info! Is staying in Tel Aviv and taking the bus to Jerusalem each day reasonable, or not worth the trouble? (I'm guessing it may not be worth the trouble -- looks like 1.5 hours bus each way to get to the tourist areas of Jerusalem from Tel Aviv)

oh, and another side question -- if I were to fly out of TLV on the 12:15pm UA flight on a Tue/Wed, would it be recommended to arrive at TLV... 9am? or even earlier?? I am a single guy traveler, not Israeli or Arab, US citizen.

Last edited by TA; Jun 17, 2016 at 3:53 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:03 pm

The "sherut" (shuttle) to Jerusalem runs 24/7. These are 10 seat minibuses that take you to your destination in the city (except in the Old City, where there is no vehicle traffic). They leave when they fill up and cost 64 NIS pp. So there is no problem arriving on Friday evening if you go to Jerusalem (a taxi is the only option to Tel-Aviv).

Your idea to stay in Jerusalem for the entire time is a good one. You can go to the Dead Sea for a day (look at the Abraham Tour website) and go to Tel-Aviv for a day (take the 480 bus from the Jerusalem CBS to Tel-Aviv Arlozorov Terminal).

In Jerusalem, you can start with the "free" Sandemans introductory Old City tour to get your bearings (you are expected to tip the guide). In the New City - the Israel Museum and Yad Vashem should be your priorities.

Book your accommodation in advance. If you are budget conscious, then look at the Abraham Hostel - a good location and often recommended.

When departing you should arrive at the terminal 3 hrs in advance. Take the same sherut from Jerusalem back to the airport - you have to book a day in advance (you can take the train if you are in Tel-Aviv).

(General note: taxis from the airport are very regulated and supervised, so tourists are not gouged).

Last edited by mbgg; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would not base myself in Tel Aviv if I intended to go to Jerusalem every day.
Too much travel every day.

I would on the other hand stay in Tel Aviv the first night and only travel to Jerusalem after Shabat is over, Saturday evening (or stay 2 nights and travel to Jerusalem on Sunday - I like Tel Aviv).
Jerusalem is very 'closed' on Shabat - no shops open, almost no restaurants open, no public transport etc.
Tel Aviv on the other hand is much more 'open', more restaurants open, some shops open and even though the normal busses are not running, the Sherut (minibusses) are. It is a very lively place on Shabat.

Last time I arrived early Friday afternoon.
No shuttles to Tel Aviv so I had to take a taxi.
There is a big taxi stand to the left as you exit the airport. They have flat rates (but you can choose the meter if you prefer). There is an automat where you can enter your details - how many people, to where - and it'll tell you the price.
I don't remember the price - it wasn't cheap but not too bad.

I can't help with hotels in Jerusalem, I find it very difficult to choose between them myself.
I rented a flat one time and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria another time but it is ridiculously expensive (very nice though).

Last edited by helosc; Jun 18, 2016 at 9:36 am Reason: correcting linguistic mistake
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:51 pm

Helosc:

There are several inaccuracies in your post:

First, if you say "sherutim" people will direct you to the nearest toilet! The shuttle is always singular - "SHERUT".

Second,Jerusalem is not 'dead' on a Saturday: all sites in the Old City are open (except in the Jewish Quarter), including the Ramparts Walk and the David Citadel Museum. In the new City, the Israel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum and the Museum of Islamic Art are open.

Third, there is NEVER a shuttle from the airport to Tel-Aviv. The only viable option, other than a taxi, is the train.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mbgg
(General note: taxis from the airport are very regulated and supervised, so tourists are not gouged).
When I was in TLV several months ago there were announcements about unofficial taxi drivers, it was the first time I heard that in TLV, so I guess those exists now...

The official taxi are indeed regulated and supervised, but the flat rate will almost always be 10-20% more than a metered fee if you are travelling outside peak hours
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
When I was in TLV several months ago there were announcements about unofficial taxi drivers, it was the first time I heard that in TLV, so I guess those exists now...
You are correct: ignore anyone that approaches you in the arrival hall, go out the main doors, walk to the road and turn left to go to the official taxi line.

Originally Posted by Ditto
The official taxi are indeed regulated and supervised, but the flat rate will almost always be 10-20% more than a metered fee if you are travelling outside peak hours
From my personal experience the fixed and metered rates are about the same, but I assume it depends on the particular destination in the city. However, anyone unfamiliar with the city should always ask for the fixed rate, to avoid the situation where the driver takes a longer route than necessary
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by mbgg
Helosc:

There are several inaccuracies in your post:

First, if you say "sherutim" people will direct you to the nearest toilet! The shuttle is always singular - "SHERUT".

Second,Jerusalem is not 'dead' on a Saturday: all sites in the Old City are open (except in the Jewish Quarter), including the Ramparts Walk and the David Citadel Museum. In the new City, the Israel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum and the Museum of Islamic Art are open.

Third, there is NEVER a shuttle from the airport to Tel-Aviv. The only viable option, other than a taxi, is the train.

Sorry about the Sherut - very embarrassing....
I know this very well and still I make the mistake again and again.
It started as a joke and then it got stuck in my head.
I have corrected it.

I wrote 'closed' in scare quotes as I was aware that I was expressing my own personal opinion which might very well differ from most other peoples.
I did specify what makes it feel 'closed' to me - shops, restaurants, and lack of public transport.

Yes, there is never a shuttle to Tel Aviv.
I never meant that it was only on Friday afternoon that there wasn't one but that was probably not clear from my sentences.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:39 am
Suspended

As a few others have already said, if you plan to spend your time in Jerusalem, thats where your hotel should be

The neg about Jerusalem is AFAIK there are only 3 hotels where ones pts can be used both close to the entrance to the City and apx an hours walk to the Old City The Cronwe Plaza (part of IHG group) or The Ramada (part of Wyndham).The Waldorf (part of Hilton). While TelAviv has over a dz hotels where ones pts can be used.

That said I usually use www.directrooms.com to find my hotel when in Jerusalem (4-5x a yr) If I wanted to be close to the Old City and not spend a fortune, Id stay at The Prima Kings rooms are small but in comparison to the other hotels in that area so is the rate. Theres also The Eldan Hotel, Dan Panorama. Havent stayed at these last 2

I wouldnt go with a car (although I always do) if I was in your shoes.

The Kings is a 10-15 min walk to The Old City, Mamilla Mall, Ben-Yehuda St for Sat night.

Now if clubbing is what you want then TA is the place to be and not Jeru

In regards to the Sherut to Jeru (only way to go IMO) at times they will wait till they fill up or get to close doing so, if not they will ask if everyone is willing to pay more so that the driver ends up with the same money as if it was full. Ive always said no and at time with just 2 or 3 people he still took us since he didnt want to wait the few hrs till the next flight would come in. Some times they would budge so I took a cab, so try 1st for the sherut but be prepared to take a taxi, god idea not to hang around and instead get out to teh stand ASAP to make sure you get a seat on what maybe the only van going(w/o knowing your carrier and arrival time cant know what will be)

Last edited by craz; Jun 19, 2016 at 7:44 am
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:55 pm

For budget accommodations in the center of town, try
- Abraham Hostel
- Post Hostel
- Agron Hostel (www.iyha.org.il)
All have private rooms and have had good reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.