Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Downtown Dubai to DWC at 21:00 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

first Uber ride in Dubai was 45+ minutes in light traffic in a big Lexus
AED 140 ($38), taxi would be similar price but Lexus was more comfortable

seemed like an odyssey compared to DXB, will not repeat this route soon, probably OK if you are in the Marina area

however the airport is empty, no waiting at x-ray and the Marhaba lounge is decent
Old May 14, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Sharjah would have been closer if you wanted to avoid DXB. I always try to use SHJ or DWC when flying into Dubai, depending on which end of the city I need to be in. I can be kerbside in 15-20 mins from leaving the aircraft, taking care to avoid the Sharjah rush hour traffic mayhem, of course. I usually fly QR.

Leaving Dubai, DXB is not so bad and the lounge situation is better.

The mid-way point between DXB and DWC is somewhere just north of the Palm.
Old May 14, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
I always try to use SHJ or DWC when flying into Dubai, depending on which end of the city I need to be in. I can be kerbside in 15-20 mins from leaving the aircraft, taking care to avoid the Sharjah rush hour traffic mayhem, of course. I usually fly QR.
I guess that depends where you originally come from. I usually fly into DXB from Europe (where I had my first transit). Surely I could fly into DWC, but I'm loosing the saved time at immigration during the transit (40 or 45 min MCT) in DOH (unless DXB is heavily congested and you spend eternity circling in holds).

Furthermore, so far I was under the impression, that you leave traffic mayhem rather quickly behind if you head south to Jumeirah/Dubai Marina. You could avoid rush hour around Sharjah altogether by taking the Metro south to Dubai Mall or Mall of the Emirates and hailing a cab/Uber from there on, but traveling on the Metro during rush hour with luggage isn't fun either.

Arriving and departing in DXB is however annoying. Departure immigration and security took a while, especially as they mix people requiring visa with travelers arriving/departing under the visa waiver program. In February, arrival immigration at Terminal 1 was so overcrowded, that they send me first to the GCC nationals lines before sending me to the Niqab lane.

Last edited by WorldLux; May 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.