Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

MCT / AUH openjaw in 4 nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus

Hi there,

I have an openjaw ticket Muscat / Abu Dhabi in less than a fortnight. While I've been in the UAE a few times, I would like want to fly oneworld and that means either going through Doha, or flying the BA service MCT-AUH for my connecting ticket.

I'm contemplating either:
  • MCT 3, AUH 1
  • MCT 3, DOH 1, AUH 0
  • MCT 2, DOH 1, AUH 1
  • MCT 2, DOH 2, AUH 0

Which options seem reasonable?

I'm also travelling with a missus who likes to jog, and would appreciate any input on dress code for morning runs.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
My vote: mct 3/auh 1. Or 4-0 if you don't mind missing the mosque in auh.

Oman has so much to offer rent a car and see outside of mct for two of those days.

Can't advise on the running gear or location, but the corniche in auh is plenty long and wide. Just HOT!
Old May 8, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rivlinm
My vote: mct 3/auh 1. Or 4-0 if you don't mind missing the mosque in auh.

Oman has so much to offer rent a car and see outside of mct for two of those days.

Can't advise on the running gear or location, but the corniche in auh is plenty long and wide. Just HOT!
Thanks! Have you been in Doha and did you find it uninteresting? Personally, I find AUH and DXB very boring due to the lack of historical landmarks. I suppose Doha will be the same, yes?

I won't be renting a car so any sights will be chauffeured instead of selfdriven.

Last edited by remymartin; May 8, 2016 at 8:40 am
Old May 8, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
There is a surprising amount to do in AD but it depends on what you like to do. I particularly like the falcon hospital, and the grand mosque is unmissable if you haven't already done it. Al Ain (same emirate, 100km away) is a lot more authentic with the wonderful goat and camel souq, as well as the awesome drive up Jebel Hafeet mountain (google for pics).

With a half-day in Doha you could see the awesome museum of islamic art, walk the corniche and have a meal in Souq Wakeef. It doesn't really justify any longer.

All three cities have a Corniche for jogging but summer has definitely started and it is starting to heat up. Expect 40 degrees in the day time from now on. Running gear is fine in the cities, but she needs to cover her knees, tummy, cleavage and shoulders. So long shorts and t-shirt would be fine.

It's a real shame you don't have more time. Will you be heading back this way, or do you have fit all three places in on this trip ?

Oman 2.5 days
Abu Dhabi emirate 1 day
Doha .5 days
Old May 8, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
On such a short trip, cut the faff and concentrate on the star attraction - Muscat.

Stay in Shati al Qrm at the Intercontinental: great pool, beach and corniche for jogging, plenty of relaxed restaurants/cafes. Pity you won't be mobile, but be sure to get to Mutrah (souk, charming corniche) and the al Alam palace.

Nizwa's worth a visit from Muscat, but at 150km, I'm not sure how that works without a car.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

MCT + AUH seems the most hassle free option. I will be using Avios for flights, and I hadn't taken into account the abysmal flight time of BA's MCT-AUH, though. It departs at 23:35 which is rather unattractive. QR's flights MCT-DOH aren't that plentiful either, with only two flights per day. Decisions, decisions

Going back to hotels - I'd like to test the IC and GH in Muscat. There appears to be a construction site next door to the IC, but there's not much information about it.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by remymartin
Going back to hotels - I'd like to test the IC and GH in Muscat. There appears to be a construction site next door to the IC, but there's not much information about it.
They're both fine hotels. The GH is usually a good bit more expensive: the IC isn't cheap but it's (blessedly) more bling-free and in a better position. Didn't know about the construction work: perhaps a good idea to call the hotel.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Some info regarding flights - no point in blowing Avios as BA's MCT-AUH is $105 in WT or $115 in WTP. Add to that 2250 Avios for UuA and you have CW for a pretty decent price
Old May 9, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Not sure I would even bother with the upgrade to CW. Flew it AUH>MCT a year or so ago and it was plenty spacious in the back. Water was offered and new BA IFE kept me entertained.

Haven't done DOH myself, but my brother was content after about four hours. I have an 18hr layover this fall and expect that to be plenty.

good luck.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
The BA flight times may be antisocial but at least you won't waste valuable daytime travelling. No point upgrading; you'll be in the air for around 25 mins. Nice new B789, but the lounge at AUH is pretty unremarkable.

I like the IC in Muscat. It looks fairly unassuming from the outside (ok, it looks like a 70s multi-story carpark), but the grounds are mature and spacious, and extend down to the beach via a gate in the hedge.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Flights and hotels are finally all confirmed. Any suggestions on any tours in Muscat, particularly some sort of 4x4 excursion outside the city outskirts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.