Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

first time overnight 12 hour Dubai layover

Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Flying emirates to Dubai and landing at 7;45pm and departing 8am the next day.
We have dubai connect for an overnight stay, but I'd really like to see something more than airport and hotel while in Dubai, but I'm not sure about timing to get out of airport, to hotel, etc. and hope someone can help.

I was wondering if we would be able to make either the last seating (10pm) at at.mosphere for dinner or the last lounge seating at (11pm)?

I was thinking this would allow us to go see the burj khalifa and maybe the fountains as well. Just not sure how long it will take to get our luggage or go through customs (if we need to - maybe check bags through except carry-ons?)

Any other suggestions what could be done this time of night? thanks
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
It will take around an hour to get through the airport but you need to decide what to do with your carry on bags. Do you plan to go to your hotel first to freshen up ? Where are you staying ? The airport is around 20 mins from downtown by taxi, or a little longer by metro.

At.mosphere ? Will you be dressed for a fine dining restaurant ? Look at the menus on zomato and see how much the prices scare you

There's not much to do after midnight other than bars and clubs. You could take a taxi and go for a photo tour before bed.

When are you coming ? The weather is warming up now and it's Ramadan in 6 weeks.

Your bags will be checked through for a transit of <24 hrs.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

flying emirates business
would be staying in whatever hotel they use for dubai connect so would hope to drop off carry on first
could quickly change in hotel or on plane to go to at.mosphere on 122nd floor of burj khalifa for small bites and cocktails - or dinner depending on if you think we could get there by 10pm .
flight should land at 9:40pm
would arrive on saturday night near the end of august
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:12 am

10pm my be pushing it if your flight is at all delayed. Look at flightstats.com or fr24.com for punctuality. Immigration is unpredictable but your bags will be checked through so no need to to wait for them. Pack what you need in your carry-ons.

Saturday night traffic is busy so I'd allow 30 mins to get from the airport area to downtown in a taxi. Make sure you know where the entrance is; Dubai Mall is massive and it's a brisk 15 min walk from the main mall entrance to the Burj entrance.

11pm should be doable.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

thanks.
any other recommendations of something to do at this time?
I felt at.mosphere would be a good choice cause we could go up in the burj, see the view, and have some tasty snacks and drinks
open to other suggestions though, but my research seems to say most things like markets will be closed by 11 or midnight

I couldn't find any info when the fountain shows stop.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:47 am

You don't get a great view of the fountains from 1500ft and you can't hear the music

http://www.thedubaimall.com/en/enter...ifountain.aspx

Evening Shows
Daily: 6:00pm to 11:00pm
(Every 30 Minutes)

I think there was a recent discussion here about the best restaurants to view the fountains. There is also a list on the trip advisor Dubai forum. Anything from fine dining to TGIs and Five Guys.

Last Burj Khalifa entry is 11pm on a Saturday. Make sure to book in advance.

https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop...okingInfo.aspx
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:43 am
Original Poster

thanks!
Perhaps it would be better to plan on getting to see the fountains down low and have a quick bite at one of the mentioned restaurants and still have time to make the 11pm last entrance for the burj? I'd really like to see dubai at night from the highest observation deck.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I found the whole Burj Khalifa experience a bit 'meh'. During the day it's usually dusty, and at night it's just not that special because there's not much to look at. It's not like the Empire State Building or the old WTC. The bar is full of selfie people and the food at the restaurant is neither particularly special or in the remotest way fairly priced.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:07 am

I agree. Look on google images for some pics of the fountain. You can decide which view you would prefer.

The higher of the two decks is the more expensive, but it is the highest in the world. However it does not have an outdoor area, although you can go down to level 124 for fresh air. Whether you can tell the difference between 450m and 550m is another matter !

Last edited by sharp5flat9; Apr 29, 2016 at 6:38 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.