Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai ~5hr day stopover advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai ~5hr day stopover advice

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
You can buy tickets at the station, either from a machine or a human being.
Keep in mind, that the metro tickets (the basic red ones) are rechargeable. So no need to buy a second one for the return trip. Just recharge the one you have.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Sorry for dragging this one up, I have a layover in Dubai on Sat 19 Nov for about just over 5 hours.

My flight is due to arrive at 20:35 and was wondering if you thought an hour to get out of DXB and then 2 hours to get back into DXB, is feasible - also if you thought 5 hours is long enough to quickly see the Burj Khalifa and get back in time for a 0155 flight?

I think I would also be looking to go into the city on the metro - is it relatively quick?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Last admission to the Burj seems to be 23.00 on that day so you should have plenty of time. Make sure to book in advance: https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop...okingInfo.aspx , as walk up tickets are much more expensive.

The metro should take around 25 mins but there's a loooong walk from the metro station to and through the mall. Allow 30 mins for this. The entrance to the Burj is on the LG level; follow the signs for 'At The Top / Burj Khalifa'. Have the code in your email receipt to hand and print your ticket at one of the kiosks.

Otherwise around 50 dhs and 15 mins in a taxi. If you're a first time visitor, I would try both.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
Last admission to the Burj seems to be 23.00 on that day so you should have plenty of time. Make sure to book in advance: https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop...okingInfo.aspx , as walk up tickets are much more expensive.

The metro should take around 25 mins but there's a loooong walk from the metro station to and through the mall. Allow 30 mins for this. The entrance to the Burj is on the LG level; follow the signs for 'At The Top / Burj Khalifa'. Have the code in your email receipt to hand and print your ticket at one of the kiosks.

Otherwise around 50 dhs and 15 mins in a taxi. If you're a first time visitor, I would try both.
Cool - thanks for your help on that! If I were to get a cab - would one from the airport rank - cost me 50dhs (just seems very reasonable!) and could it drop me nearer to the Burj Khalifa?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Around 50 dhs from the airport (15 kms ??) incl the higher starting charge on the meter, depending on the route and tolls, waiting time, etc. Will be cheaper on the return, but if you take the metro back to the airport, you can stand right at the front of the first car, rather like the DLR, for some amazing views.

Tell the driver you're heading to the Burj Khalifa. Otherwise, this is a useful thread: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo..._of_Dubai.html

If you get lost in the mall, there are plenty of maps, signs, security people and informations desks. If you want to eat, the mall's massive food court is fairly close to the metro entrance/exit.

If you have time, enter through the main entrance and spend a few minutes outside the aquarium.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:39 am

Sorry to drag back up - was just wondering if Amex is widely accepted in Dubai? Was thinking about not bothering to get Dirhams as will only be there for a matter hours - would I be ok paying for a taxi/metro and possibly a meal with American Express or Visa?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH
Hi all, just wanted to give an update.
The visit was a success, got to see the mall and Burj Khalifa. Thanks for all the advice in making this a success!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.