Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

10 Days in May - Oman vs. Jordan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt

I need to be in Amman for a day or two and will be with my family and we have ten days for tourism in either a Jordan trip or one combined with a stay in Oman. I've read some posts from several years ago comparing the two, but I'm guessing a lot has changed for tourism to Jordan in recent years.

We're slightly more interested in people than in the untouched coastlines of Oman, for example.

Any recent guidance would be appreciated as we decide where to focus our time.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
To narrow it down a bit, anyone have recommendations on Wadi Rum desert camp vs a desert camp in Oman?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:09 am

Location: شمال أمريكا والعالم العربي - N America + Arab World
Programs: *A, SkyTeam
I haven't been to Jordan, but we were in Oman in March and it was AMAZING. Granted, we were there visiting family who had just moved there and we spent a fun week. We only did the beach one day, which was nice--but the water was slightly chilly that time of the year, despite the weather being rather warm.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Done about a week in both and felt Jordan (Petra and Dead Sea) is a bucket list destination, while Oman has much more to offer.

That isn't to say I didn't love my time in Jordan and that it doesn't have all sorts of unique opportunities, but I enjoyed Oman more.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like Oman should be a must on our itinerary. If we're going to do a Bedouin desert camp in Wadi Rum (it seems slightly more hospital given that we are talking about May heat) what other local culture, personal interactions could we focus on in Oman in a three or so day visit?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In Oman: drive into the mountains and see some of the small towns and the fascinating geology. Main roads are good, side roads are OK, petrol hire reasonable, petrol very cheap, mobile coverage good and prepaid data SIM available in the airport on arrival.
Go round the main souk in Muscat, especially go further in than the average tourist and look around.
Visit some of the fabulous castles like the Nakhal fort (restored) and others unrestored.
Visit the Sultan Qaboos mosque in the morning (open for tourism 09:00-12:30 ish).

I found Oman was fascinating, easy to get around, and people in shops and hotels were hospitable and helpful. English spoken in the coastal areas, less so in the interior but hand waving and politeness worked (as it usually does).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC
I've only passed through Oman for a visa change but spent most of last year in Jordan, did a fair bit of sight seeing and also camped in Wadi Rum.

It's a bit of a trek from Amman and is quite a boring road trip, but camping there was a great experience that I would recommend. I think my favourite thing in Jordan was the dead sea and also Jerash, the incredible roman ruins are astonishing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.