Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brit wanting independent tour of Iran in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi all,

Looking for some assistance and advice with regards to planning a visit to Iran (ideally Tehran & Shiraz/Persepolis).

As a Brit I understand I can no longer go without a tour operator. I'm the type of person who doesnt do tours. I'm happy to have a guide for certain things like at major sites such as Persepolis but I want to be able to largely roam around freely in Tehran. I can get mysekf to the Bazaar and Mosque, etc.

Is this in any way possible? I'm happy to book through a group and have hotels and transfers arranged, but I do not want a guided tour day in day out.

Any recommendations for tour groups who could do this please?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Good Luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...n-ey-ek-f.html

That was my trip report as an American. I was VERY lucky and got a solo tour since no one else booked my desired dates. Even so I was still with my guide about 75% of the time. He didn't have a problem with me roaming sites on my own. He didn't know about my going back out after dinner many evenings.

Short of spending big bucks for a very specialized tour privately and getting lucky with a flexible guide, I wouldn't count on it. I too hate formal tours, but didn't really feel having a guide really prevented me from seeing Iran. I wouldn't let it stop you from going.

They may have just reopened the British Embassy, and Rouhani has done wonders for tourism over the last two years, but folks like Jack Straw and the Leader's general animosity toward the West won't change things too quickly.

Best of luck in your planning and don't hesitate to ask for further advice.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I have been to Iran twice (American passport)... in 1998 and again in 2011. Both times I had to have a guide but it was just me on the tour in the guide's car. It made getting to out-of-the-way places easy and I would do it again. For the first trip I used Caravan Sarah and for the second Araz Travel. Both worked out well.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: *G
can a canadian/brit/american who has gone recently recommend a tour operator? im looking for a ~8 day solo trip of esfahan and shiraz

shame about our (mutual?) restrictions and foreign relations
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by deniah
can a canadian/brit/american who has gone recently recommend a tour operator? im looking for a ~8 day solo trip of esfahan and shiraz

shame about our (mutual?) restrictions and foreign relations
I used Key2Persia and had a mostly great experience. I got everything I wanted but often had to pry for answers. Price was fair, but had to fight a few times to keep it at the rate we originally agreed upon.

I had a trip report with more details on the planning and visa process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.