Which Abu Dhabi hotel?

Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Which Abu Dhabi hotel?

Hello.

I am going on a six day trip just after new year to Dubai, and am considering a day in Abu Dhabi. However I cannot decide between the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi hotel, or the Ritz Carlton Grand Canal hotel. Obviously the Ritz Carlton hotel is more expensive but I have an Amex Plat card and so would get the FHR benefits with this. I am, however, also a HHonors Gold cardholder, so would potentially get room upgrade and free breakfast at the Hilton Capital Grand. Ideally I am looking to visit the mosque on the day we arrive and the Emirates Palace for lunch the next day. Would anyone be able to recommend one or the other? Any money saved on the Abu Dhabi hotel would be used for Dubai hotels. Thank you in advance
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Definitely the Ritz Carlton. The Hilton is next to a KFC and a petrol station. The Ritz Carlton is next to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would say the location is much better for the Hilton. Sure, the R-C has nice views, but it's in an isolated area a 20-minute drive from downtown, whereas the Hilton is within walking distance of the city center, such as it is.

So it depends what you're looking for. The R-C is a nice property, while the Hilton is a bit dated; if you plan to relax around the hotel, then of course the former is better, but there is literally no place to walk or eat nearby.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
I would say the location is much better for the Hilton. Sure, the R-C has nice views, but it's in an isolated area a 20-minute drive from downtown, whereas the Hilton is within walking distance of the city center, such as it is.

So it depends what you're looking for. The R-C is a nice property, while the Hilton is a bit dated; if you plan to relax around the hotel, then of course the former is better, but there is literally no place to walk or eat nearby.
I know that new buildings go up all the time in Abu Dhabi, but you think the Hilton Capital Grand is a bit dated already??? As for walking to the city centre, that will take at least an hour.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'd definitely go with the RC. It's a gorgeous property right by the Mosque. Last time we were upgraded into a one bed villa which was really nice.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by muscat
I know that new buildings go up all the time in Abu Dhabi, but you think the Hilton Capital Grand is a bit dated already??? As for walking to the city centre, that will take at least an hour.
I'm going to guess that perhaps he is confusing it with the Hilton on the corniche?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
I'd definitely go with the RC. It's a gorgeous property right by the Mosque. Last time we were upgraded into a one bed villa which was really nice.
Originally Posted by csdf
Definitely the Ritz Carlton. The Hilton is next to a KFC and a petrol station. The Ritz Carlton is next to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque...
Hi, thanks for replying. I know the RC is much closer to the mosque than the Hilton Capital Grand, but didn't think the Hilton was that much further away. Though I suppose it all looks a lot closer on a map. I also didn't know the Hilton was next to a KFC or petrol station! I think I shall go with the RC, thanks very much for your help!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
I'm going to guess that perhaps he is confusing it with the Hilton on the corniche?
You are correct. I have stayed at the old Hilton several times but didn't even know there was another one. Apologies.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
Hello.

I am going on a six day trip just after new year to Dubai, and am considering a day in Abu Dhabi. However I cannot decide between the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi hotel, or the Ritz Carlton Grand Canal hotel. Obviously the Ritz Carlton hotel is more expensive but I have an Amex Plat card and so would get the FHR benefits with this. I am, however, also a HHonors Gold cardholder, so would potentially get room upgrade and free breakfast at the Hilton Capital Grand. Ideally I am looking to visit the mosque on the day we arrive and the Emirates Palace for lunch the next day. Would anyone be able to recommend one or the other? Any money saved on the Abu Dhabi hotel would be used for Dubai hotels. Thank you in advance
I was once in Abu Dhabi only for 3 nights in the Intercontinental. Perfect for me. They have a Brazilian restaurant, which was awesome. I just love meat :-)
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
I just completed a one night stay at the Hilton Capital Abu Dhabi. While I did get the HH Gold upgrade to Exec Lounge, the hotel itself is soulless, boring and the Lounge offering is minimal.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I have an approximately 20 hour stop over in Abu Dhabi in June (arriving around noon, leaving the next morning). Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels? Right now I'm between the Park Hyatt as a Diamond, Rosewood through FHR and Yas Viceroy to do some laps on the F1 track. Should I be considering any other options? I do have Hilton Diamond now thanks to the match. Is there a reason to rule any of those three out? Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:47 am

All three are nice properties. I would go with the Park Hyatt, but it is simply down to personal preference. Park Hyatt is only 10 min drive from Yas Island in case you want to do some laps on the F1 track.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
The airport is 35km from downtown but close to Yas Island. I would base your choice around what you want to visit. If you just need to crash out, then stay on Yas, but it's a modern man-made resort that could be anywhere in the world. If you want a more authentic sense of place, stay nearer the city proper.

The PH is on Saadiyat Island. Secluded and beautiful but quite close to downtown. The Rosewood is on Maryah island, again close to downtown.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:24 pm
KBX

Originally Posted by milesinthemiddleeast
All three are nice properties. I would go with the Park Hyatt, but it is simply down to personal preference. Park Hyatt is only 10 min drive from Yas Island in case you want to do some laps on the F1 track.
Yas is max 10 min from the airport, Yas is not 10 min from the PH. In June it can already by very hot, so consider that as well..
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by KBX
Yas is max 10 min from the airport, Yas is not 10 min from the PH. In June it can already by very hot, so consider that as well..
you are right, I was a bit optimistic. Around 20 min.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.