Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai questions - cash and clothing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai questions - cash and clothing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Question Dubai questions - cash and clothing

About to visit Dubai for a few days.

Is there a need to carry cash? I read an article that's about a year old that said that all taxis should take credit cards from mid-2015. Anyone know whether that's turned out to be true? I guess most restaurants take cards. If I were to eat at some of the cheaper Indian places, might they be cash-only?

Next clothing. I'll be sightseeing wearing shorts and sandals most of the time. Am I likely to get turned away from restaurants and bars in the evening? Don't plan on visiting anywhere too posh, just low-to-mid range types of places. The only other trousers I'll be carrying are denim jeans, which I guess would still be too casual for places where this kind of thing matters.

Also is Uber prolific in Dubai? Might be easier than trying to hunt for taxis which I've read on other threads can be hard to come by sometimes. Want to try to avoid being stuck out in the searing heat searching for a ride for too long.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Plat, Hhonors Diamond
Been there a few times, have paid taxis with cc and been to many restaurants just on shorts and short sleeve, no issues.

Obviously, higher range places probably have dress code but hven't been to many.

That said, I would say that denim jeans should grant you entrance even in e slightly more posh restaurantes, so long as you are not on your flip flops
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
in reverse order...

Uber is quite prolific in Dubai (UberX is quite reasonable and reliable). There's also a local flavor called Careem that has the benefit of being able to book ahead (useful for early morning airport run, for example). Referral link here: careem.com/signup/S1UY71J28E (AED 30 aed give/get sign up bonus)

Taxis are actually quite easy to come by if you are in and around the main attractions and shopping areas. Calling for one can be hit or miss.

Jeans are fine for restaurants and bars but you may be turned away wearing sandals unless it's a real casual place.

CC's are widely accepted (even in Taxis now, but ask when getting in) and if they are not accepted at your particular tasty curry or kebab shack of choice, ATMs are plentiul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.