Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Getting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi?

Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

It's a lot of UA miles and perks to give up to fly Etihad to Abu Dhabi rather than UA to Dubai. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually done it as to how easy/difficult it was and how much hassle it added to your trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerryFF
It's a lot of UA miles and perks to give up to fly Etihad to Abu Dhabi rather than UA to Dubai. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually done it as to how easy/difficult it was and how much hassle it added to your trip. Thanks.
I think most would connect elsewhere and then get to Abu Dhabi. There seems to be no good way to route that. Closest I see is Oman Air, with a connection in MCT.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:44 pm

I would just book a limo, or take the bus, or do an Uber from DXB to AUH. The ride is really, really straight forward and definitely preferable to flying XXX-IAD-DXB-MCT-AUH.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
The two cities are very close, I've heard a taxi is only 300 dirham. Likewise you could rent a car and drive. Depending where your going it'll be 40 minutes to 90 minutes. There is also a bus, hell you could take the Dubai metro to Jebel Ali and your already almost practically their.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:21 pm

I've lived in Abu Dhabi for the last year. Many people will just fly from Dubai/ to Dubai if either there is no nonstop from AUH or if it's cheaper from DXB. You can do a cab or an Uber. most destinations are no more than 300 Dirhams, but Dubai cabs tend to be more expensive than Abu Dhabi cabs. Still, this is the best way to do it. Don't even think of trying to fly between the two.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
take a cab. it's really not that bad.

or if it's not for work and you have some time and need to save some cash, the bus is a viable option as well. ethiad provides a free coach to their passengers, but you can call them up and purchase a ticket on that as well.

or go to the bus stop and hop on one of the vans if you're adventurous. it's actually kind of entertaining.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
For what it's worth, Etihad shuttles people from Dubai to AUH all the time.

Your location says Santa Cruz. If you can deal with Santa Cruz to SFO, you can deal with ground transport from DXB to AUH.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Etihad offers a free bus if you arrive leave that day. I took an uber each way around $65-70 USD. Usually a Lexus ex-Dubai and Toyota ex-Abu Dhabi.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
In the good ole days it was easier to fly to KWI and simply get a cheapie fare into AUH.

That said, take a taxi. It's the easiest option.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by channa
For what it's worth, Etihad shuttles people from Dubai to AUH all the time.

Your location says Santa Cruz. If you can deal with Santa Cruz to SFO, you can deal with ground transport from DXB to AUH.
Etihad claims to have a fee for passengers not booked with Etihad but I can't find away to book with them . Has anyone had success booking the Express from Dubai to AUH
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I did this half a dozen times last week and it's really easy - basically one highway connects the two cities and as the other poster said it's about 300 dirhams - it's a pleasant (but boring) ride and it's really not a hassle in any way. Given that I always stay in the Marina area for my trips either city works for me...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Rental cars are also affordable at both AUH & DXB, as are one-ways between the two. The roads are fine.

Also note that there are several *A services at AUH:

AI: BOM DEL
MS: CAI SSH
SA: JNB
TK: IST SAW
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Rental cars are also affordable at both AUH & DXB, as are one-ways between the two. The roads are fine.

Also note that there are several *A services at AUH:

AI: BOM DEL
MS: CAI SSH
SA: JNB
TK: IST SAW
Agree regarding rental cars - my only suggestion for those not familiar with the UAE is that if you, as a foreigner, get into an accident with your rental car it can be a very long time before you will be able to leave the country - and if the accident is with a UAE citizen (a local) it can get really complex really fast.... To me it's never been worth it for the risk....
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Agree regarding rental cars - my only suggestion for those not familiar with the UAE is that if you, as a foreigner, get into an accident with your rental car it can be a very long time before you will be able to leave the country - and if the accident is with a UAE citizen (a local) it can get really complex really fast.... To me it's never been worth it for the risk....
I would never drive in UAE - if you get into an accident with a local, you are assumed to be at fault until proven otherwise.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I would never drive in UAE - if you get into an accident with a local, you are assumed to be at fault until proven otherwise.
Where did this statement of fiction come from?

The only issues with driving in the UAE are having some local slam into you in his SUV or Mercedes going 200 kmph in a 60 zone. Or hitting a camel on a highway, which does happen and is not good for you, the car or the camel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.