Dubai taxi from airport

Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Dubai taxi from airport

Hi - traveling from US to Dubai DXB, then need to get to hotel near Mall of Emirates. Taxi would be fine, but will I need dinars? Where is best place to exchange USD for AED? Connecting in LHR...
Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Starwood, Hertz, Marriott
You will need UAE Dirhams. (not dinars, incidentally.) There are plenty of ATMs in the Dubai airport, although you should make sure that your bank card has a "chip" and a major credit card logo - I've had a few issues with that in the past. My go-to place for direct currency exchange is UAE Exchange, and they're all over the place including the Dubai airport.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deadmessenger
You will need UAE Dirhams. (not dinars, incidentally.) There are plenty of ATMs in the Dubai airport, although you should make sure that your bank card has a "chip" and a major credit card logo - I've had a few issues with that in the past. My go-to place for direct currency exchange is UAE Exchange, and they're all over the place including the Dubai airport.
Thank you very much for the info - and the corrections!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:13 am

I also believe most airport taxies has been equipped with credit card payment machines, just in case you want to wait with exchanging money.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Just out of interest, how much would a typical trip be from the airport (DXB) to the Mall of the Emirates?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:43 pm

I believe it is around 60 - 70 AED, maybe slightly more. The UAE petrol prices will be revised today (not subsidize anymore), thus the taxi prices might increase as consequence.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
When you walk out the door of the airport turn left walk to the end of the sidewalk where you will find the metered taxi's. Do not let people outside the door take you it will cost you twice as much. Found out the hard way.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Thank you for the advice ^
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:10 am

There are different kind of taxi's. Don't take Lexus, it's twice as expensive. There are also mini bus and lady taxi's which charge 25 AED as starting fare and a slighty higher rate per km. Normal taxi's charge 20 AED.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I will be arriving at midnight on Emirates, which I think will be at Terminal C or 3. Was wondering how it would be taking a taxi just after midnight, or however long it takes to clear immigration at that time of night. Does one turn left when coming out of the Emirates terminal, C or 3 or whatever, to find the metered taxis?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:53 am

Immigration can be very busy at that time, thus it can be anything from 15 min to 60 min. If you have one of the new passports with chip you can proceed to the left side of the regular immigration lanes where they have installed these automated machines which scans your passport and eyes.

The taxies will be on your left side when you exit the terminal building and waiting time should not be more than max 10 - 15 min, but will most likely be less.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick response, very helpful. I certainly do have one of those passports with the chip (British). I am amazed we can use that in Dubai, I thought it was only possible in Britain or the EU.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:10 pm

Here is a link with information about the automatic scanners:

http://www.dubaiairports.ae/before-y...igration-visas
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:10 pm

Here is a link with information about the automatic scanners

http://www.dubaiairports.ae/before-y...igration-visas
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says "First time users will have to register with an immigration officer after completing the eye scan."

So if I have to register for it, it's probably not a lot of use for a one off visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.