Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman Car Rental - GMC Yukon Question (and day trip to Wadi Shab)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance here but I've never been to Oman and am looking for some advice. I am thinking of renting a large SUV (Listed as a GMC Yukon or similar on the Europcar website). My question is, in Oman would a car like this be a little too conspicuous and over the top? As a personal preference, I like big SUVs but not if it's going to stand out too much and potentially cause headaches from a personal security point of view? I also have an option of the Ford Explorer. Apologies if this sounds silly to someone with some local experience but thought I should just double check in advance.

Also, I believe day trips to Wadi Shab is doable from Muscat. Would you advise me to drive it myself or get a driver?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I drove in a sedan in February. Was very easy, excluding the lack of advanced and accurate maps. Google doesn't do turn by turn.

As for your car choice I don't feel it would really stand out all that much. Parking was generally easy and free everywhere. On the corniche and in mutra may be the exception.

I would certainly suggest driving to wadi shab. Easy to find and great roads. Just keep an eye out for the regularly placed radar cameras.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:51 pm

Yes, it will be conspicuous because nobody drives GMC. To blend in, you need to drive Porsche Cayenne Turbo or GTS, or Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser.
Wadi Shab is two hours max down the motorway from Muscat, and can be done in any car.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by muscat
Yes, it will be conspicuous because nobody drives GMC. To blend in, you need to drive Porsche Cayenne Turbo or GTS, or Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser.
Wadi Shab is two hours max down the motorway from Muscat, and can be done in any car.
I agree. You see way, way more Landcruisers than anything from GM. Note however that even though the website says Yukon, they might give you a Landcruiser anyways. If its important to you, give the rental facility in Oman a call during their business day and ask. I recall that Avis has Landcruisers BTW.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus
Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed update but I had an interesting experience with Europcar. They brought me a Landcruiser as ordered but it was about 5 or 6 years old, in poor overall condition and worn tires. I was very unimpressed so they brought me another. The second car was also in poor condition so they brought me a third. None of the electrics worked in the third Landcruiser!! Realising I was pushing my luck at this stage, I pretty much begged the (very patient) guy to bring me a decent car in good order. They put me into the car and took me to the garage where they basically let me choose whatever was there...so I ended up with a Yukon and had no issues like I initially worried about. I spent four days driving blissfully around this amazing country and Europcar assured my future custom with their (eventually) excellent customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.