Israel and Jordan

Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Thank you so much everyone. The information on check point clearing time and details on traveling in and out of different areas are especially useful. This is the kind of information that are hard to learn from the guide books. You guys and ladies are so wonderful sharing your knowledge.

Sounds like travel time might be longer via Eilat but shorter clearing time might make up for the difference besides we get to visit more places and see more things rather that spending 3 hours clearing the crossing. Definitely plan changing information. What is driving condition between to and from Eilat? Road condition? Renting a car from Eilat appears to be cheap.

Since we are still at our planning stage. We are open to start our trip at AMM or TLV. We have changeable (one of the few privileges United gives to plt) award tickets on Turkish Air. The segments between IST and TLV and AMM are easily available. We want to firm up our plans by June 1 so that we can finalize bookings and hire a Jordanian driver.

Thank you so very much. Please do share more. No knowledge will be wasted by this newbie.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Sounds like travel time might be longer via Eilat but shorter clearing time might make up for the difference besides we get to visit more places and see more things rather that spending 3 hours clearing the crossing. Definitely plan changing information. What is driving condition between to and from Eilat? Road condition? Renting a car from Eilat appears to be cheap.
Actually, assuming you're planning to visit Petra, Petra is just 2 hours from Eilat, so crossing at Eilat/Aqaba is probably your best choice anyway. The road conditions in Israel are excellent - modern highways and freeways with clear signage. It would be easy to drive from Eilat to Jerusalem, the Dead Sea or Tel Aviv.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Unless you are the nightclub type or the beach type, I'd suggest considering skipping Tel Aviv altogether; however, you may wish to visit Jaffa, the Palestinian city that adjoins Tel Aviv.
There is so much more to Tel Aviv than Jaffa and the nightlife.

There is the spectacular seafront promenade extending the entire length of the city from Jaffa all the way past the Sde Dov Airport to the north, the Bauhaus architecture of the White City, the museums (art, Land of Israel, Diaspora, Tel Aviv history and the Rabin Center), the old neighborhoods of Florentin and Neve Tzedek, the old Tel Aviv train station adjacent to Neve Tzedek, the old Templar colony of Sarona, the flea market, the old Tel Aviv port, the parks, the galleries, the restaurants and outdoor cafes, and more.

The city is quite compact and it is easy to walk anywhere.

I had no trouble finding things to do for four days in Tel Aviv; actually, it wasn't enough time, so I came back for two more days at the end of my trip.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is so much more to Tel Aviv than Jaffa and the nightlife.

There is the spectacular seafront promenade extending the entire length of the city from Jaffa all the way past the Sde Dov Airport to the north, the Bauhaus architecture of the White City, the museums (art, Land of Israel, Diaspora, Tel Aviv history and the Rabin Center), the old neighborhoods of Florentin and Neve Tzedek, the old Tel Aviv train station adjacent to Neve Tzedek, the old Templar colony of Sarona, the flea market, the old Tel Aviv port, the parks, the galleries, the restaurants and outdoor cafes, and more.

The city is quite compact and it is easy to walk anywhere.

I had no trouble finding things to do for four days in Tel Aviv; actually, it wasn't enough time, so I came back for two more days at the end of my trip.
I fully agree with this post.
Lots to see and do in Tel Aviv - and it's a very good city for just strolling around observing life around you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks, friends. I have been without reliable internet for the last week and had not been able to check in. With all advise I got, we have decided to start our trip in Jordan either by hiring a driver or work with an agency; cross into Israel at Eilat, drive a rental car for a few days, and finish off the trip with 4 or 5 days in Jerusalem and 1 to 2 days in Tel Aviv.

Thanks very much again. I will refer to you knowledge as I finalize the details.

I am still fussy regarding the logistics of crossing at Eilat. Would someone mind providing some details on crossing the border and picking the rental car at Eilat?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 pm

The border crossing is very close to Eilat. Take a short & inexpensive taxi into town.
The rental agencies are closed on Saturdays. Book your car through the company's Israeli web site (xxxx.co.il) and not their international one (xxxx.com). The company with the most recommendations is Eldan ; the company with the most complaints is Shlomo-Sixt. Take the maximum insurance. Make sure all scratches are listed on the rental form and photograph the car.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you every much.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Indelaware
If one travels east to west, one has to pay a departure tax leaving Israel.
You got East and West mixed up seriously. Israel lies to the west of Jordan, consequently one would need to travel west to east to leave Israel. There's nothing but the sea westwards of Israel.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Is it possible to hire a driver in AMM and have him drop us off in Eilat?
Hiring a driver in AMM to take you anywhere in Jordan is possible and easy and also not too expensive. However, I don't think they'll cross the border, so most probably they'll drive you to the border crossing and you'll have to (pre-) arrange for another driver on the Israeli side.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. What are the typical border crossing hours especially at Eilat? Hopefully, there will be taxi drivers at the border crossing. I do plan to hire a driver while in Jordanand ask him to drop us off at the border crossing. In the other threads there were some recommendations for travel agencies I can contact to get a driver and may be hotel for Petra area. However, I am happy to hear suggestions here as well.

Many many thanks. Israel and Jordan is new frontier for me.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:20 pm

You can see all the information about the border crossing here:

http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/borders/yitzhakrabin/Pages/default.aspx
Old May 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
You can see all the information about the border crossing here:

http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/borders/...s/default.aspx
mbgg... Thank you for the spot on information. I read the pages and notice that GPS is forbidden at the border crossing. Is it safe to assume that the GPS in the cell phones are ok? Surely, people must have cross the border with their cell phones.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:57 am

Of course everyone nowadays crosses the border with a cellphone, laptop, tablet, etc, etc and all have Waze, GoogleMaps, etc, etc, installed. Ignore it.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Hi, thanks many of you. My trip is mostly planed and I am leaving for Jordan in a few days. Just a few more questions.

1. I need to get our Jordanian visa at the AMM airport. Will I be able to get some JOD at the airport before getting the visa? Where are the ATM located? Do I need to get some JOD before arriving AMM. My flight arrives from IST at mid night.

2. What is a reasonable price for a private driver for 4 full day? Driving from Amman to Aqaba? Does anybody have recommendations for a driver?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Don't know about the driver as we drove ourselves, but there is an ATM at Amman airport directly by where you get the visa. There is also a bank branch with live staff, so you are well covered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.