Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

7 Full Days in UAE - Trip Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 Full Days in UAE - Trip Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by csdf
A Mussandam dhow cruise will be a whole day out from Dubai, with an early start too. You won't have time to see anything else other than through the window of the car as you speed past. As for Sharjah, take a look at this and then decide if you still want to go. Honestly, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Better to go over to Fujairah and swim in the Indian Ocean (you could go over to Snoopy Island for a snorkel and a chance to see turtles and reef sharks).

You can easily do a desert safari from Dubai, though the desert around Qasr al Sarab is a whole different experience (it's the Rub al Khali, the Empty Quarter: the largest sand desert in the world).
Haha thanks. I would really like to go to Qasr - and to fit that in it would leave me with 3 full days in Dubai and 1 day for the dhow cruise, a day/night in Abu Dhabi, and a day/night in Qasr. I would have to fit in everything else somehow, although that seems like a good amount for 7 full days there, no?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:31 am

If you go to Liwa, make sure to also drive to Tal Moreeb which is the highest Dune in the Rub Al Kali Desert. It's very easy to reach with regular cars on a paved roads. Go when sun is low, that makes it even more impressive
Old May 11, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Here is a question along the same lines. In February 2016 my wife and I will be in Dubai for 4 nights and 5 days. On one of the days, a Sunday, I think we decided we would like to make a (long) day trip to Khasab to explore the area. We are staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai, and plan to rent a car and drive up to Khasab and explore this beach and maybe have a picnic in this thicket. We would return to the Park Hyatt Dubai the same day.

My questions for the crew here are:

1) What is the most convenient way to rent a car from 24 hours when staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai? I have Hertz and Avis top status so would prefer to rent with them if it is convenient. What is the Oman insurance surcharge usually?

2) I know for the longer drive from Khasab to Dibba a 4WD is mandatory. However, for Dubai to Khasab to a couple of spots nearby could a simple 2WD sedan rented in Dubai make the trek safely? I am used to driving on mountain/gravel roads for what it is worth.

3) Does the Lulu Hypermarket accept credit card? We are going for a day trip so ideally I don't want to convert AED currency to Omani currency. We can pay for the entry visas (USA citizenship) at the Oman border in AED if I read correctly.

4) Any other tips, suggestions, or risk mitigation strategies?

Last edited by beofotch; May 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Be aware that that "thicket" is a novelty for those of us who live here, but will be distinctly underwhelming for anyone visiting from a country where it rains enough for vegetation to grow spontaneously (i.e. pretty much anywhere). Better to picnic on the beach or on the cliff-top above it.

I think you could easily manage this route in a 2WD. It's all tarmac.

If you're interested in a bit of archaeology, there's some petroglyphs here: http://129.206.74.245/?zoom=17&lat=2...ers=B00000FTFF

Lulu will take credit cards.

If you're going all the way to Khasab, why not take a dhow out into the fjords?
Old May 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

csdf;24801988 Thank you for the helpful response. I think we will heed your advice. We considered a dhow fjord cruise. My first impression was that we wouldn't have enough time as part of a day trip from Dubai. Do you think we would - especially if we skip the "thicket"? Thank you for pointing out the petroglyphs - we will add that to the list to check out!

Originally Posted by csdf
Be aware that that "thicket" is a novelty for those of us who live here, but will be distinctly underwhelming for anyone visiting from a country where it rains enough for vegetation to grow spontaneously (i.e. pretty much anywhere). Better to picnic on the beach or on the cliff-top above it.

I think you could easily manage this route in a 2WD. It's all tarmac.

If you're interested in a bit of archaeology, there's some petroglyphs here: http://129.206.74.245/?zoom=17&lat=2...ers=B00000FTFF

Lulu will take credit cards.

If you're going all the way to Khasab, why not take a dhow out into the fjords?
Old May 13, 2015, 3:39 am

A dhow trip wouldn't be impossible with an early start. But it would have to be pretty early.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by beofotch
Here is a question along the same lines. In February 2016 my wife and I will be in Dubai for 4 nights and 5 days. On one of the days, a Sunday, I think we decided we would like to make a (long) day trip to Khasab to explore the area. We are staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai, and plan to rent a car and drive up to Khasab and explore this beach and maybe have a picnic in this thicket. We would return to the Park Hyatt Dubai the same day.

My questions for the crew here are:

1) What is the most convenient way to rent a car from 24 hours when staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai? I have Hertz and Avis top status so would prefer to rent with them if it is convenient. What is the Oman insurance surcharge usually?

2) I know for the longer drive Khasab to Dibba a 4WD is mandatory. However, for Dubai to Khasab to a couple of spots nearby could a simple 2WD sedan rented in Dubai make the trek safely? I am used to driving on mountain/gravel roads for what it is worth.

3) Does the Lulu Hypermarket accept credit card? We are going for a day trip so ideally I don't want to convert AED currency to Omani currency. We can pay for the entry visas (USA citizenship) at the Oman border in AED if I read correctly.

4) Any other tips, suggestions, or risk mitigation strategies?
1. It's a breeze to rent at DXB, but I would check with the Park Hyatt and see if they can arrange for a car to be delivered to the hotel.

Yes! Make sure you ask for the Omani insurance waiver. Have it printed and ready to hand over at the Oman border. It's required. I was not charged for it.

2. 2WD is fully sufficient. No need for 4WD in and up to Khasab. I would also stay clear of luxury vehicles. There are a lot less of them as you leave Dubai. I had a Mercedes and I wish I hadn't, but that's just me. I'd rather blend as much as possible.

3. Not sure about Lulu, but gas stations and small groceries all took Dirhams.

Yes, you pay at the border. You need cash there. They give you some sort of reloadable bank card in exchange. I believe it's a relatively new system, but not sure.

4. It's an amazing place. Most certainly take a Dhow cruise, and I would stay the night at the Atana Khasab if you can swing it. You will likely find Oman more interesting than Dubai. I'm not knocking Dubai, though. It's a spectacular city. But the side trip to Oman will make the vacation. The two places are big juxtapositions and complement each other that way.

Last edited by Fleck; Jun 9, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:23 pm

Fleck,

Thank you for the very helpful responses. We will do a one day rental and do the 1/2 day Dhow cruise. It is going to be great!

Best regards,

Beofotch

Originally Posted by Fleck
1. It's a breeze to rent at DXB, but I would check with the Park Hyatt and see if they can arrange for a car to be delivered to the hotel.

Yes! Make sure you ask for the Omani insurance waiver. Have it printed and ready to hand over at the Oman border. It's required. I was not charged for it.

2. 2WD is fully sufficient. No need for 4WD in and up to Khasab. I would also stay clear of luxury vehicles. There are a lot less of them as you leave Dubai. I had a Mercedes and I wish I hadn't, but that's just me. I'd rather blend as much as possible.

3. Not sure about Lulu, but gas stations and small groceries all took Dirhams.

Yes, you pay at the border. You need cash there. They give you some sort of reloadable bank card in exchange. I believe it's a relatively new system, but not sure.

4. It's an amazing place. Most certainly take a Dhow cruise, and I would stay the night at the Atana Khasab if you can swing it. You will likely find Oman more interesting than Dubai. I'm not knocking Dubai, though. It's a spectacular city. But the side trip to Oman will make the vacation. The two places are big juxtapositions and complement each other that way.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone done the 6 Emirates in one day tour from Dubai? It looks like a fun way to get a passing glimpse of all the Emirates except for Abu Dhabi. Am considering it in December.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has anyone done the 6 Emirates in one day tour from Dubai? It looks like a fun way to get a passing glimpse of all the Emirates except for Abu Dhabi. Am considering it in December.
We've certainly driven up from Dubai through Ras al Khaima to Musandam (Oman). I guess we passed through five emirates, but can't say I noticed: the journey only got interesting in the last part, north from RAK. The trip to Khasab took us around four hours, but i dare say it could be done much quicker

I reckon RAK should be only a couple of hours from Dubai.

Fujairah is more tricky as it's mountainous and, as a googly, it's in two non-contiguous parts. Indeed a more fun project could be examining the enclaves and exclaves in that part of the UAE - there you'd even find a bit of Sharjah in an Omani enclave itself buried in the UAE. The Dubai enclave of Hatta is worth a visit.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Hi all,

I searched through threads but wasn't able to find something similar to my situation, so here it goes.

I was lucky to score roundtrip airfare on United (EWR-DXB) for $630 just now for travel in January, so I took advantage of it while it lasted and booked myself there for about a week (7 full days in UAE). Just looking for suggestions on what to see in that time frame (I assume I left myself enough time, while keeping it semi-affordable as well). This will be my first time in the Middle East. I would love to see more than Dubai as well, including Abu Dhabi as well as some other cities. Please let me know what you think! As for hotels, I plan on using Amex points (or Chase points, haven't decided yet), but am eyeing the Grand Hyatt Dubai as of now.

Thanks as always!

Dubai is such a big city with dozens of attractions to check, you will need like 3-4 days to cover, here is my list for you regarding Dubai:

Burj Khalifa
Dubai mall complex includes the fountain
Dubai museum
Burj Arab
Jumierah island
Atlantis the palm aquaventure
wild wadi
Old Dubai
souks (gold-spice-textile)
global village
miracle garden
Dubai marina
JBR walk (night)
Dubai creek cruise for dinning out
Desert safari adventure

while you also could visit Abu Dhabi city for 2 days to check its grand mosque, heritage village, marina, Louvre museum, falcon hospital (only if interested)

Also good to visit Ain city from Abu Dhabi or Liwa Oasis.

from Dubai, Go Ajman and Fujirah in one day trip, and try East Coast and Hajr mount trip.

There is also a trip not to miss from Dubai goes to Musandam of Oman, cruising all the day with snorkeling and diving!

Good Luck!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
We've certainly driven up from Dubai through Ras al Khaima to Musandam (Oman). I guess we passed through five emirates, but can't say I noticed: the journey only got interesting in the last part, north from RAK. The trip to Khasab took us around four hours, but i dare say it could be done much quicker

I reckon RAK should be only a couple of hours from Dubai.

Fujairah is more tricky as it's mountainous and, as a googly, it's in two non-contiguous parts. Indeed a more fun project could be examining the enclaves and exclaves in that part of the UAE - there you'd even find a bit of Sharjah in an Omani enclave itself buried in the UAE. The Dubai enclave of Hatta is worth a visit.
There appear to be several tour companies that visit most of the emirates in one day, which is what I plan to do.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:39 pm

Much more fun to drive yourself tho'
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
There appear to be several tour companies that visit most of the emirates in one day, which is what I plan to do.
OK - that could be fun. They'll know what they're doing and have a bunch of highlights to show you.

Probably better than diving off the highway into the local traffic chaos to try to find the essence of, say, Sharjah, on your own.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:40 pm

You can get essence of Sharjah in bottles at any ENOC petrol station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.