Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt's visa on arrival may not be applicable to individual tourists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Egypt is instituting a broader visa requirement that means more of us will need to submit our passport to an Egyptian embassy/consulate in advance of visiting Egypt as a tourist.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/03...as-in-advance/

So much for wanting to encourage more tourism.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Egypt is instituting a broader visa requirement that means more of us will need to submit our passport to an Egyptian embassy/consulate in advance of visiting Egypt as a tourist.

So much for wanting to encourage more tourism.
Sad - especially as only a couple of weeks ago Cairo hosted a conference addressing Developments and Challenges in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry.

You can believe the tourist institutions will be fighting hard against this. But I'm not sure how successful they can be, because on the other side are the security authorities worried on two fronts:
  • inflitration by terrorists, and
  • visits by journalists and activists who get up the government's nose by criticising its approach to protecting human rights.

Around a quarter of visitors to Egypt currently travel independently. The proportion arriving at Cairo is much higher. I reckon that's something over two million visitors who will now have to go through the faff and expense of applying for visas through Egypt's consulates. And it's hard to see the consulates tackling the increased demand without upping the fees.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sad - especially as only a couple of weeks ago Cairo hosted a conference addressing Developments and Challenges in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry.

You can believe the tourist institutions will be fighting hard against this. But I'm not sure how successful they can be, because on the other side are the security authorities worried on two fronts:
  • inflitration by terrorists, and
  • visits by journalists and activists who get up the government's nose by criticising its approach to protecting human rights.

Around a quarter of visitors to Egypt currently travel independently. The proportion arriving at Cairo is much higher. I reckon that's something over two million visitors who will now have to go through the faff and expense of applying for visas through Egypt's consulates. And it's hard to see the consulates tackling the increased demand without upping the fees.
In security states, the securocrats generally have the upper hand over the commercial interests.

The reasons for this visa requirement change are because of the militarized Egyptian government's concerns about terrorists and about journalists and activists monitoring and criticizing the Egyptian government's human rights-violating record.

When it comes to the military players who have the ownership relationships/interests as or with the Egyptian tourism market players, they have way more money at stake with charter tourist destinations' properties than the other destinations' properties. Thus, I'm not surprised they gave the charter tourist visitors a continuation of past practice. For the military complex -- inclusive of security industrial complex retirees -- this is their version of a balancing act, as they eat up a larger part of the charter tourist pie than of the independent tourist pie.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 19, 2015 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guess BA will stop flying a 747 to CAI then?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I guess BA will stop flying a 747 to CAI then?
AFAIK it's currently a B767, going down to A321 in April
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
AFAIK it's currently a B767, going down to A321 in April
Wasn't that change of gauge in the work even before this visa policy change?

Don't some of the charter tour groups sometimes still use space on scheduled common carrier flights, including some BA planes?

I've been on some BA flights and SK flights where the majority of passengers seemed to be part of organized tour groups.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wasn't that change of gauge in the work even before this visa policy change?

Don't some of the charter tour groups sometimes still use space on scheduled common carrier flights, including some BA planes?

I've been on some BA flights and SK flights where the majority of passengers seemed to be part of organized tour groups.
Yes - the down-sizing has nothing to do with the visa business. BA clearly has better use for its larger aircraft. The airline has messed around quite horribly with the Cairo route - schedules, equipment and the LHR terminal have been in the mix. Only the terminal shift (to T5) is positive.

Sure, many tour operators buy seats on scheduled flights. Indeed, any of them offering "city breaks" to Cairo will be (more or less) forced to do this.

I'd expect BA's Sharm flight will be attractive to the more upmarket tour operators, not least because of the brand and the flexibility its schedule will offer.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:37 pm

Why Egypt isn't using some sort of electronic visa or travel authority instead of having to send or take your passport into an embassy or consulate to obtain permission is beyond me.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

So does this affect all non-organised tourists, or just "groups" of less than two people (i.e. solo travelers)?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA/AA
VISA requirements from the Egyptian Embassy in Washington, DC.

http://www.egyptembassy.net/consular...-requirements/

For an American tourist the rates have fallen from $25 to $15.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:26 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
no more visa on arrival in Egypt...

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Mid...-visitors.ashx

Looks like Egypt will no longer offer visa on arrival for tourists... as if their tourism industry wasn't hurting enough.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:16 pm

no more visa on arrival in Egypt...

Already posted in the Middle East forum.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sounds like the fuse went out again . More tourists, higher difficulty with visa are inversely proportional.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: MUCCI
The government of the day did this in 2011. It was rescinded after a few weeks, when they realised the logistical nightmare it created. Does anyone think that Egyptian consular and visa sections are in any way organised to handle an additional 2.5 million applications in the currently stated delay of 2 to 5 working days - or even at all?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
Rumor has it there may be amendments, guess we will see come May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.