Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt's visa on arrival may not be applicable to individual tourists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Egypt's visa on arrival may not be applicable to individual tourists

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
This is bad timing for me !

I'm booked into Egypt twice in August, 2 x 24hour stopovers - it's locked and loaded.
May is the Egyptian decision time - VOA or no VOA, or some form of VOA.
I fly out of OZ on the 24th July, before arriving in Egypt 7th Aug.
I guess if there is any doubt about VOA, my Passport will need to be in the mail to Canberra Eygptian consulate in early June.

I suppose, watch this space. Thankyou, fellow FT'ers.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: MUCCI
The talk here in Cairo is, that this rule will be "heavily amended" - meaning rescinded. But that is only rumour, and I would not advise you to take any decision based on it. What you might care to do is to contact an Egyptian travel company direct and ask whether there is any way they can assist you - who knows, they might include you on a fictional "group"?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:13 pm

The Egyptians have decided to postpone the new rules and work to create an E-visa.

http://www.thecairopost.com/news/144...s-upon-arrival
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:53 am

Typical Egyptian snafu: one ministry announces a regulation without consulting the other ministries that are more directly concerned - and then have to rescind it, with egg all over its face. It happens all the time, and the Morsi administration was the champion for this.

In this case it is announced by the MFA, and then contradicted by the Ministry of Tourism and the Interior Ministry - which in fact should be the body authorised to make visa policy.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Regardless of how this finally shakes out, my guess is the era of VISA-free travel to SSH will be over.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:11 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
To bump this thread...

Does anyone know if it is possible for US passport holders to get a VOA in Cairo? According to US State department ann CIBT they are granting VOA for the time being. Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:30 am

I don't know for a fact, since I have a work permit and residence visa. However, the new restrictions were amended/cancelled some months ago in favour of a future e-visa system. I am pretty sure you can still get VOA as of today's date. But why not give a call to your nearest Egyptian consulate?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:52 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mtdd
I don't know for a fact, since I have a work permit and residence visa. However, the new restrictions were amended/cancelled some months ago in favour of a future e-visa system. I am pretty sure you can still get VOA as of today's date. But why not give a call to your nearest Egyptian consulate?
Thanks mtdd

I can indeed call the consulate, but given the confusion the Egyptian government seems to have internally (from the prior posts) was hoping to hear if someone has actually gotten a VOA recently.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Steve_19
Thanks mtdd

I can indeed call the consulate, but given the confusion the Egyptian government seems to have internally (from the prior posts) was hoping to hear if someone has actually gotten a VOA recently.
It's good for UK/Eurpoeans - so I imagine it's business as usual for US passports.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: QR-G, TK-E , WY-G
Originally Posted by Steve_19
Thanks mtdd

Confirmed, EU passport , I get VOA last week, CAI T1.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USD25 equivalent. Available in 2 minutes at the exchange kiosks in either terminal, immediately before immigration.

I made a point about asking about US visitors: said "no problem".
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:54 am
Suspended

How do California residents get a VISA? It doesn't look like the LA consulate services California which I'd absurd.

On another point, is it safe to travel to Egypt? I booked a trip back in Feb for this coming October without much worry. But the latest incidents with explosions and an ISIS campaign have peaked my interest.

Last edited by TMM1982; Jul 15, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
How do California residents get a VISA? It doesn't look like the LA consulate services California which I'd absurd.

On another point, is it safe to travel to Egypt? I booked a trip back in Feb for this coming October without much worry. But the latest incidents with explosions and an ISIS campaign have peaked my interest.
Again, you can get a visa on arrival. You buy the visa sticker from the (numerous) foreign exchange kiosks just before the immigration lines. The visa sticker will set you back $25, and really takes no fuss to get, and no time at all.

You'll need to some cash, and the kiosks give the same exchange rate as everywhere else. So stopping off to get EGP and a visa is an efficient move.

The consulate is going to be more time-consuming, require more paperwork and be more expensive. Though if you want a multi-entry visa, or have a non-standard passport, you might need the consular route.

As for safety, there's a long discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...fe-travel.html. But at the end of the day it's a question about how comfortable you feel about the prospect: not much point going anywhere where you are going to be unhappy.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Again, you can get a visa on arrival. You buy the visa sticker from the (numerous) foreign exchange kiosks just before the immigration lines. The visa sticker will set you back $25, and really takes no fuss to get, and no time at all.

You'll need to some cash, and the kiosks give the same exchange rate as everywhere else. So stopping off to get EGP and a visa is an efficient move.

The consulate is going to be more time-consuming, require more paperwork and be more expensive. Though if you want a multi-entry visa, or have a non-standard passport, you might need the consular route.
I called the consulate and they told me I needed a visa before arriving in Egypt, not after. Said I needed to apply for one before leaving the country.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I called the consulate and they told me I needed a visa before arriving in Egypt, not after. Said I needed to apply for one before leaving the country.

I'm not pitching Tripdvisor against an Egyptian consul, but ..

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop....html#67015053

PLUS my own experience last week - VOA available, no fuss whatsoever.

and the US state department's view
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...try/egypt.html

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 16, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.