Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

help regarding hotels in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be travelling to Dubai soon and will be there for a day roughly.

I have both Marriott platinum Elite and Hyatt gold status.
I am thinking of using my reward points to pay for the stay at the hotel.

Now I have never been to Dubai before, so I would like your help trying to pick the best option for the hotel for me. (either a Hyatt or a Marriott)

I would like to keep in mind that the hotel shouldn't be too far away from some of the attractions in Dubai (If you could also guide in what would be best to see within the day that would help too)

Also I will be with my parents so I would like to minimize the walking or train/bus/taxi rides to a minimum

Thanks for the help
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I really like Park Hyatt. The JW Marquis is (I believe) the worlds tallest hotel. Each one is on a different side of the creek (Hyatt 'old', Marquis 'new'). The Hyatt is a reasonable distance from the sites but it is a cab ride away, the Marquis is pretty much among the new architecture builds. As for sites it's hard to recommend what to see but the obvious ones are Burj Khalifa, the worlds tallest building, the Aquarium in the Dubai Mall, free to see, absolutely massive. Also are you flying in/out of DXB or DWC? That will affect things.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying in/out of DXB.
I am more inclined towards Hyatt too since Marriott hotels require 30K points per night minimum.
And I now realize my stay in Dubai will be a day an a half, so most likely the hotels will charge for two nights, right?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm not sure what benefits you are entitle to but perhaps one night with a late checkout could be organised? Probably worth emailing them and asking what the options are. I just remembered there is also the Grand Hyatt which is probably the best for DXB access and worth considering.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1k
Hi wab6,

I transit in and out of DXB all the time, and lately I've been staying at the JW Marriott Marquis (taking advantage of the Gold status from UA's RewardsPlus program with Marriott). I've only stayed at about 10 different types of Marriott-chain hotels in the world, but the DXB JW Marriott Marquis has really impressed me with its service. The upgrade to executive rooms are really spacious and quite good, and the executive lounge has a nice free breakfast and dinner (and happy hour) but only from 1830 to 2000 hrs.

On three occasions, I've called and asked for late checkout due to overnight flight departures, and each late checkout has been between 1500-1800 hrs, which is quite generous in my opinion. I've also been allowed to access the free dinner/happy hour after checkout on each occasion, as well as wi-fi. On my most recent visit (5 Jan 15), I was offered access to showers before my hotel departure at midnight (despite checking out at 1800) and the concierge had arranged for lost baggage transfer (UA lost my bags) and rebooking a flight to KBL.

lukedxb is correct that it's the world's tallest hotel. The executive lounge on the 37th floor has a great view, as well as the restaurants/bars/clubs on the 68th (i think) floor. The outdoor seating at the restaurants on the 5th floor (Japanese and Eastern Mediterranean/ME) also have a great view, as you're sitting next to the skyscrapers.

The hotel is in Business Bay, near the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa. From the airport, it's about 50-75 AED, depending on the direction (I think the taxis start at 25 AED at the airport, no matter what destination). But in a taxi, it rarely takes more than 20-30 minutes to get anywhere in the city.

There's not much to do in Dubai, so I wouldn't worry. If you check out the Burj Khalifa, make sure to register a time spot online, which will help guarantee a spot during high season, and you'll save almost $100 (I think it's $20-30 online, and $100 more if you just show up, but I haven't been in a few years). With the devaluing of the Ruble, I imagine there will be far fewer Russians during this year's shopping festivals, so the malls won't be as crowded.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I second the suggestions of the JW Marquis and the Park Hyatt, although neither one of them is directly by any attractions per se. They are both though very convenient for the Metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.