Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Hotel Reccomendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

I'll be visiting Dubai in February 2/11-15. I'd like to either be within close walking distances to most of the "touristy" type things or within close walking distance to the train stations. I was looking in the 350AED/night range (under 550AED) including fees (ie wifi). I have 128K marriott pts so I could also stay at the marriott al jaddaf for 120k, although I'm not sure if its a good deal and its not within walking distance to anything. I usually try to stay in some place that's clean and not too old and dingy.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This is high season so your budget will be stretched at an international chain.

Sheikh Zayed Road is a good location, central and on the Metro, e.g., something like the Four Points, though this is somewhat old and dingy. The Holiday Inn Al Barsha is newish, but a bit farther by the Mall of the Emirates. There's also a Rotana in the heart of SZR.

I like Traders in Deira. It's in a lively neighborhood and at a Metro stop. Service is pretty good and rooms are comfortable.

Holiday Inn Express at the airport is isolated, but at least there's a Metro stop down the block.

You could try Hyatt Place. It's a brand-new hotel. I haven't stayed there, but it's close to the Al Rigga Metro.

Marriott won't be a good choice given your price constraints. The closest one to your budget will be the Courtyard Green Community, but it's way out of town. The Jaddaf is a central area, and close to the airport, though the area is not that interesting and not within walking distance of a Metro. However, taxis are plentiful and cheap, so this hotel on points might be a good option. (I haven't stayed there.)

There are plenty of 3-4 star non-chain (or local chain) hotels that are well-located a bit cheaper, but I don't know enough about any of them to make a recommendation.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks. I only mentioned the mariott because I have most of my points with Marriott, but I recently shifted over to IHG so a HIE might be good for me. I was considering the Marriott Al Jaddaf because its the only one I can get with points. I'll take a look at your suggestions. If everything ends up being too expensive, maybe it will be worth it to spend the 120k pts. I just don't like that its out of the way so I'd have to take a taxi everyday to the metro at minimum.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the "Park Hotel Apartments" or the HI - embassy district?
So I think I've narrowed down my choices to:

1. Holiday Inn - Bur Dubai - Embassy District for 587AED/night
2. Park Hotel Apartments for 450AED/night

Both are near the train and in my price range. The HI has the bonus that I'll earn some points. I've never heard of the Park Hotel Apartments but it seems to have gotten good reviews and seems like a pretty good price. It is more out of the way though.

I did look at Traders, but its almost the same price as the HI and seem similar in quality. Also i was a little weary of being so close to the airport. Reviews for the HI at the airport didnt look so good.

The other one I was on the fence about was the Moevenpick Hotel Deira. Looked like a good price (same as the Park Apartment Hotel) and higher reviews but I was worried about airplane noise
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: MP Platinum
I stayed at Movenpick Deira last year during an 14 hour layover. Its perfectly acceptable - not as glitzy as some of the other 5-star hotels but its also significantly cheaper. I don't remember much airplane noise.

Anyone stayed at the grosvenor house (Its a starwood property)? Looking at that for an upcoming trip to dubai.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I remember staying at the crownplaza singapore at the airport and hearing A380's all day. Ofcourse the Deira hotels are much further away, but I had a concern.

Either way, with the price being almost the same, I'd rather opt for the HI since I'd earn points.

As for the Park, it seemed significantly lower priced, which is why I'm considering that one. I just know nothing about Wafi hotels.

Last edited by eng3; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The Movenpick is right across the street from the Traders. I've had dinner there (excellent Indian restaurant) and the F&B overall and public areas are a step up from Traders, though I've never stayed there.

You do hear some airplane noise at the Traders. This wasn't a big deal, however, in my opinion. For 450 AED, I would suspect that the Movenpick would be a good option, plus you can at least get some airline miles in one of many programs.

Grosvenor House is in a whole other class -- though I don't like the location (others disagree), it's one of the best hotels in Dubai. There are some stellar reviews on the Starwood forum.

P.S. When looking at prices, don't forget that hotels almost always add 20% plus another "tourism fee" on top of that, which is something like AED 15 per night at Traders if I recall correctly.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

I'm well aware of the fee, but the fee is about the same at each hotel so I sort of ignore it when comparing. I pay more attention to things like wifi fees.

I centered my search around emirates towers thinking that is around the center of things to do location-wise. I initially booked the Park apartments over Movenpick based on location. But if the aircraft noise isnt that bad and as long as its close to a metro station, location isnt that big of a deal, maybe I need to take a second look. Unfortunately, that rate is non-refundable where the park apt one is refundable so my decision has to be final. Park Hotel is ranked 142 where movenpick is ranked 63 on tripadvisor so many that should tell me something.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:26 pm

I will be in Dubai in February and recently discovered some great savings with buy one get one free coupons for many of Dubai's attractions and dining using the "Entertainer Dubai 2015". It includes as many as 3 of these BOGO passes for a number of the major water and theme parks. I was wondering if anyone was interested in splitting one of these books or chipping in for whatever coupons you may need, their about $115 USD. PM me so we can discuss specifics.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by midtownapsk
I stayed at Movenpick Deira last year during an 14 hour layover. Its perfectly acceptable - not as glitzy as some of the other 5-star hotels but its also significantly cheaper. I don't remember much airplane noise.

Anyone stayed at the grosvenor house (Its a starwood property)? Looking at that for an upcoming trip to dubai.
Grosvenor House in Dubai is fantastic and highly recommend Rhodes if you're looking for an excellent meal.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:37 pm

Anyone stay at JW Marriott Marquis? Is it worth the price premium over other options?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:01 am

I stayed at the Majestic Hotel on Mankhool Road. Fantastic hotel. It is VERY close to the shops (about a 5-min walk). It's a 4-star hotel, and it cost me about $260 for 2 nights in March. Don't know how much it costs at this time of year.
They offer a shuttle to Burj al Arab (the 7-star hotel) as well as Jumeirah Beach on Fridays.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Anyone stay at JW Marriott Marquis? Is it worth the price premium over other options?
Nice hotel, but a bit out of the way - you would need a car.
We paid $150, and thought that was more than it deserved.

The Gold lounge was excellent, and saving grace of the hotel.

The Jaddaf is in the middle of nowhere, I would not recommend it at all.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, Lonely Planet recommended the Orient Guest House in Deira for a taste of traditional Arab hospitality, so I booked it for 2 nights of our 5 night stay. For the other nights, I was considering Holiday Inn Express Jumeirah, which is also recommended by Lonely Planet. At least I can either earn or spend points there. I found it a tad on the dear side, for a Holiday Inn Express, at AED424. But I suppose mid October is already high season. Might end up redeeming points instead.

Of more concern to me, probably worth a thread in its own right, is how is it going to work if staying with your partner whom you've not actually married to. I couldn't find a thread about this, was wondering if anyone had any experiences.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hi all I am interested in a Marriott in Dubai as well, close to public transport and or tourist sights. Any recommendations? I know there's a JW Marriott across the street from where the Traders is, but the hotel looks worn and old. I'm leaning towards the JW Marriott Marquis, since it's newer, and the view is nicer. But most importantly, it's very close to a metro stop.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Sep 29, 2015 at 9:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.