Articles of Interest:
  1. 36 Hours in Abu Dhabi (NYT)

Restaurant Recommendations (please add):
    Print Wikipost

Dubai and Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: UA ex-1K, AA, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry
    Hi there! I have a 12 hr layover in abu dhabi (land around 9:30am and fly out around 9pm). What can I do during my layover to best see all the main attractions? Is it possible to see both dubai and abu dhabi? I really just wanna see the mosque and maybe the emirates palace (if I can enter inside). Thanks!
    Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
    Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
    It seems the Etihad bus from AUH to Dubai can't be used if you want to spend a day or two in Abu Dhabi before going to Dubai.
    Thanks for this info. I am planning on taking the Etihad bus to Dubai right away, stay in Dubai for 4 nights, then head back to Abu Dhabi for the last two nights. It sounds like it is not possible to take the Etihad bus back since I am not flying out right away? I haven't had a chance to fully research this yet (since my trip isn't until October) so if you have a link, that would be great!

Also, is there a preference on taking the desert safari from Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I booked the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi since the rates are great right now (appox. $110/night). Waiting for better deals in Dubai. Looking forward to hear what everyone decides to do on their trips!
    Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: Show me the points!
    I booked Ritz Carlton Dubai for 2 nights for 140k in Marriott points so my girlfriend and myself can relax a little bit. With a hoard of Hilton points and obviously a few Marriott points, is that a bad idea? Are there better places?
    Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: HHonors, Starwood, Marriott, ANA, Thai, United, American, Delta
    Heading to AUH in October with hubby. We have already booked the free shuttle bus to Dubai. Thinking about 5 nights in Dubai (first time there) then a flight to Muscat, Oman and spend about 4 nights there before returning to AUH to fly home.

As far as activites we are interested in the Sheikh Mohammed Center, seeing the Burj Khalifa, and a quick spin through the malls and souks. For Muscat we will probably rent a car and at least go to Nizwa. May try to head back to Abu Dhabi the day before we leave to at least have a look at the mosque.
    Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by NYCflip
    Thanks for this info. I am planning on taking the Etihad bus to Dubai right away, stay in Dubai for 4 nights, then head back to Abu Dhabi for the last two nights. It sounds like it is not possible to take the Etihad bus back since I am not flying out right away? I haven't had a chance to fully research this yet (since my trip isn't until October) so if you have a link, that would be great!

Also, is there a preference on taking the desert safari from Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I booked the Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi since the rates are great right now (appox. $110/night). Waiting for better deals in Dubai. Looking forward to hear what everyone decides to do on their trips!
    You can check on the Etihad's booking page (i.e. put in a booking) and it will tell you whether you can take the bus back or not! I have a flight out of AUH at 2AM (the next day) and they allowed me to book the shuttle. Hope that helps!

Curious to know what everyone is planning to do in AUH as well! If anyone will be there in May, give me a shout!
    Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:29 pm
    Original Poster

Check out the or website zomato
    Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:45 am

For those of you who will be in Abu Dhabi between 2/11 and 2/21:

http://qasralhosnfestival.ae/

http://visitabudhabi.ae/en/see.and.d...ival.2015.aspx

As for hotel, I booked Royal Rose Hotel Abu Dhabi via Orbitz and GIFTME coupon. About $160/night with free cancellation. Might change to something else if i find better.
    Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
    My wife and I will be there from 3/20-3/25. We got lucky when I booked it on O did the hotel also and got the Khalidiya Palace by Rotana w/ balcony for just over $70 per night. Private beach and pool looked great.
    We're going to Ferrari World, so I'll have to do shopping as a trade off lol, and probably the Desert Safari.
    Food prices look reasonable so we hope to try some place new for every meal except Breakfast which was included.
    Hope if anybody is in AUH during this time we can meet for supper or a tour?
    Thanks FT and OP's for all the great trips we've enjoyed, I'm not that tec savy so we wouldn't have been able to travel as much without your help.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Jan 2, 2015 at 10:49 pm
    Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:35 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
    Remember, the Etihad bus departs from the Etihad Travel Center, which is a bit out of the way, you will need a taxi or metro there.

There is much more to do in Dubai than Abu Dhabi.

In AUH - if you can stay on Yas or Saadiyat Island, you will have beach access.

Driving is very easy around the UAE, but a GPS (or a friend in pax seat) is a must.
    Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:11 pm
    Community Director Emerita

An activity I strongly recommend in Abu Dhabi is visiting the Falcon Hospital. You should book in advance. Emiratis love their falcons. This is the largest falcon hospital in the world, treating some 9,000 falcons each year. Did you know that falcons have their own passports? Hunting with falcons isn't allowed in the UAE, so some take their falcons to countries such as Pakistan to hunt with them.
    Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:08 pm
    Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
    Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
    Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
    An activity I strongly recommend in Abu Dhabi is visiting the Falcon Hospital. You should book in advance. Emiratis love their falcons. This is the largest falcon hospital in the world, treating some 9,000 falcons each year. Did you know that falcons have their own passports? Hunting with falcons isn't allowed in the UAE, so some take their falcons to countries such as Pakistan to hunt with them.
    That is indeed a good place to check out for a couple of hours when visiting Abu Dhabi.

[The UAE royal households in particular had a habit of falcon hunting in Pakistan and Afghanistan in the 1990s and early 2000s, but they've cut back on that in part. They would go hunting and leave their LandCruisers and other stuff as gifts for local tribal Baluchi and Pashtu chieftains. It used to be quite the scene along with the falcon hunting in those areas.]

The Sheikh Zayed mosque was interesting for me to visit, primarily because I wanted to see what came of all the marble orders it created in India and Italy.
    Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:28 pm

Bus Question

Can anyone recommend a bus service from Dubai to downtown Abu Dhabi since I'll be returning a couple of days before my Abu Dhabi flight and therefore can't use the emirate express bus?
    Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:01 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
    Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
    Can anyone recommend a bus service from Dubai to downtown Abu Dhabi since I'll be returning a couple of days before my Abu Dhabi flight and therefore can't use the emirate express bus?
    The only bus is the govt RTA bus
    http://www.dubai-bus.com/buses-stops...emirates-buses
    Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

I agree- seems to make most sense to pay outright with low cash rates.

I've narrowed down my choice to either the Sheraton Jumeriah Beach Resort, Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road, or Sheraton Grand Hotel (can't find many reviews as it is new). Hoping for an upgrade based on my status with them.

I haven't looked into Ultimate Rewards options come to think of it so need to check that.

Originally Posted by onfo
    From what I've looked at, it hardly makes sense to use points for hotels in Abu Dhabi. Rates seem super reasonable so the CPP is quite low. Let us know what folks are thinking for redemptions.
    Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Global Entry, etc...
    My husband and I are now planning for our quick trip to Abu Dhabi and Dubai over MLK Jr. weekend. We leave on the night of Friday January 16th to Manchester and then arrive in AUH on Saturday at 7:55pm. We leave at 8:55am via CDG on Wednesday the 21st.

We are thinking of going straight to Dubai on arrival, so have booked the Etihad Express. Unfortunately, they give you plenty of time to get through customs and immigration because the first shuttle we could book was 9:30pm, with a 10:50pm arrival at Etihad Travel Mall.

Another option would be to stay in Abu Dhabi for 24 or so hours and then head to Dubai for the remainder of the trip, we would have to get ourselves to Dubai - probably by bus. Although we could take advantage of the 6:00am Etihad shuttle to the airport on Wednesday.

We are hoping to use either SPG, Hyatt or Marriott (or anywhere we can transfer Chase points - Amex if necessary) awards for hotels to keep the prices low for the trip (we just got married in September so still trying to keep costs low). Despite what everyone says about cheap hotels, prices seem to be significantly higher in Dubai, especially the resorts/beach front spots. We would love any recommendations for places to stay (or not!)

I think we would ideally like to spend at least 1 day relaxing on the beach, especially since the flights will be so hard on the body (I have a bad back following a nasty injury in 2008 that will likely lead to surgery this year).

We are thinking about the desert safari, husband also wanted to do the day trip to Oman, but now that we really looked at the timing in-country think it might be too much.
    In Dubai we are looking of visiting the spice and gold souks, burj khalifa, etc. We were hoping to do brunch, but that seems to be on Fridays in Dubai. (FYI the Burj Al Arab afternoon tea in the Skyview Bar is $200 pp, it is closer to the $100 range in the restaurants on the first floor)
    In Abu Dhabi, we have less must sees, primarily the mosque and maybe Ferrari World. And more likely beach and relaxation time since it appears to be cheaper to stay in Abu Dhabi. (I tried to say we should just do a day trip to Dubai and stay in Abu Dhabi since it is so much cheaper to stay, but he says there is more there he wants to see and do).
    I have read briefly about The Entertainer book which includes a lot of BOGO offers. It can be purchased online and downloaded electronically or they have free delivery to your hotel in UAE if you prefer a physical book.

Would love any ideas/advise on hotels and other must sees!
    (Did get one reco to avoid the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort, not sure why. Of course, that is the one we had used points to reserve.)

Last edited by smikih; Jan 4, 2015 at 2:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.