Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

departure security at Tel Aviv - El Al vs. other airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster

I know El Al has special security that no other airline has. I also know that Tel Aviv airport has general security for all airlines. My question is what security at Tel Aviv airport do departing passengers on El Al have to or might have to go through that passengers on other airlines don't have to go through. Basically, what is the difference between general security and El Al security there?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:15 am

There is no difference. Security for all airlines at TLV, including El Al, is handled by the same airport security personnel.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
There is no difference. Security for all airlines at TLV, including El Al, is handled by the same airport security personnel.
Yeah, I knew that. I guess what I meant is, why do people often have such an ordeal flying with El Al out of Tel Aviv, but relatively no problems with other airlines if all airlines go through the same security? If El Al has extra measures, do they believe that the general airport security isn't enough for them? If so, why? I mean, it's in Israel - their home country, so one would think that the security there would be designed to be good enough for El Al.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:56 am

why do people often have such an ordeal flying with El Al out of Tel Aviv, but relatively no problems with other airlines if all airlines go through the same security?
Where did you hear that more people have a greater "ordeal" with El Al compared to other airlines ? I would assume that those specific people would have exactly the same "ordeal" if they had chosen a foreign airline and were being questioned by the same security person. Having flown out from TLV many times on both El Al and other airlines, I have seen no difference while standing in the line in the general length or style of questioning (I'm referring to the other people in the line).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Where did you hear that more people have a greater "ordeal" with El Al compared to other airlines ? I would assume that those specific people would have exactly the same "ordeal" if they had chosen a foreign airline and were being questioned by the same security person. Having flown out from TLV many times on both El Al and other airlines, I have seen no difference while standing in the line in the general length or style of questioning (I'm referring to the other people in the line).
Just what I've read in related threads on various online forums.

So would you agree then that it's possibly more arduous flying with El Al only when departing another country and flying TO Israel, but if you're departing FROM Israel, it's all the same no matter what airline?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:22 am

So would you agree then that it's possibly more arduous flying with El Al only when departing another country and flying TO Israel, but if you're departing FROM Israel, it's all the same no matter what airline?
More rigorous, not more arduous. El Al security flying TO Israel is similar to that in Tel Aviv, more thorough than on foreign carriers flying the same route from the same airport. There is no difference in Tel-Aviv. A lot of travelers prefer the extra security and for most it is just a few more minutes of questioning and perhaps opening a suitcase for inspection.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by saltspring
Just what I've read in related threads on various online forums.

I'd be curious to read those. LY doesn't employ their own security at TLV
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

I don't know myself, but any ideas on why people have said that they have had less hassle departing TLV with an airline other than El Al?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:22 am

People don't depart on two airlines simultaneously so it is rather difficult to compare. The comparison would have to be between two different flights, likely months or years apart. The general security level probably changes all the time due to alerts passed on by intelligence services worldwide, so it just many be a coincidence that security was tighter on the day that person flew El-Al.

In any case, any flight by a foreign airline leaving TLV will have a large number of Israelis on it, so there is no logical reason for the security personnel to "discriminate".
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by saltspring
Yeah, I knew that. I guess what I meant is, why do people often have such an ordeal flying with El Al out of Tel Aviv, but relatively no problems with other airlines if all airlines go through the same security?
I honestly beleve I have the answer, and I apologize in advance for the rather "OMNI sounding" answer.

There is only one airline (non-domestic) that is "owned" by Israel.
And sometimes things Israeli are held to different standards for the oddest reasons.

So there is no difference in treatment, just halo affect. And an eagerness to tell the world what "those people" did.

Random groups of travelers treated exactly the same by the same people, but only those associated with EL AL get the most complaints. Sounds like a Freshman Psychology class experiment.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:26 pm

secrity is great and they dont charge you an arm and a leg for departure tax liek some other countrys (im looking at you LHR)!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT Miranda26!

There are a number of threads on this topic. Are you asking whether the flights to Israel themselves are safe?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:09 am

All airlines have returned to their regular schedules. What exactly is your question ?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All airlines have returned to their regular schedules. What exactly is your question ?
While many (most) have, TK and RJ have not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.