Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Israel into Jordan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Is anyone familiar with the process of driving from Israel (private, non-rental car) into Jordan?

Is this possible?
If so, must I do any preparations in advance?
What can I expect at the border?
Which crossings (assuming it's possible at all) enable driving across the border?
Anything specific to keep in mind?

Thanks so much!
Old May 7, 2014, 10:16 am

From Wikitravel:

"You can cross into Jordan by car from Israel, but the border formalities are time-consuming and expensive as Jordanian insurance is required and you will even have to change your license plates. The only available crossings are at Aqaba (if coming from Eilat) and at the Sheikh Hussein Bridge for those coming from Northern Israel. Note that the Allenby/King Hussein crossing does not allow private vehicles of any kind."

I assume you can get details from the Jordanian Embassy.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spoke to the embassy, and they were barely helpful. First of all, they speak virtually no Hebrew and virtually no English. My Arabic isn't enough to carry on these types of conversations.

Anyways, he claimed that driving is no issue as long as I have an Israeli passport, and that border patrol will let me in "immediately, with no issue." But that I should speak to my insurance company.

Side point, but can I get a visa at the Aqaba crossing? If so, any benefit to getting one in advance? And any difference between using my American passport and my Israeli passport?
Old May 8, 2014, 4:03 am

You don't need a visa in advance at the Aqaba crossing (American or Israeli).

I haven't heard of anyone taking a car into Jordan. I assume that if it was so easy then a lot of people would, so I strongly doubt the accuracy of what you were told.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:13 am

Notes:
* You must be the car owner, as registered in the car license, in order to take it abroad (or that the car owner will be travelling with you, or have letter of attorney signed by the car's owner - in Hebrew and English)
* You must have an ISRAELI driving license and it is recommended to have an Israeli-issued international license (cost 15 NIS at MEMSI branches).
* As an Israeli citizen you get 2-week visa when entering Jordan - take that into account.

The procedure to take out a privately owned Israeli car from Israel to Jordan is as follows:
ISRAELI TERMINAL:
* Paying exit fee
* Getting an official print in English of the car license and car insurance (about 15 NIS per license).
(This can also be done in other MEMSI branches across Israel)
* Registering the vehicle at the customs
* Passport control
* Full review - a border contorl officer will check that you have completed all that is necessary to complete in order to take a car into Jordan.
* Exiting Israel via car.

JORDANIAN TERMINAL:
* Paying the fee for Jordanian license plates + changing the plates
* Purchasing an insurance in Jordan (mandatory)
* Entering Jordan.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Rent an Avis car in Israel, drop it off in Eliat, then walk across the border and get a cab, or make arrangements for a cab.
Rent your car in Jordan or Petra.

It is easy and inexpensive
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by rockdocs
Rent an Avis car in Israel, drop it off in Eliat, then walk across the border and get a cab, or make arrangements for a cab.

Given you are renting the car in Israel at least 3 days. Dropping/picking up at Eilat while the pickup/dropping is not in Eilat, requires minimum 3 days of rental or paying a high surcharge (DOFF surcharge)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockdocs

I don't want to rent a car - I want to drive my own car.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:13 am

If you are driving a personally owned Israeli vehicle there IS a way to bring it into Jordan. However, it is cumbersome and expensive. ( so I've been told) It involves making arrangements in advance, bringing documentation, changing to Jordanian plates, having Jordanian insurance. etc. etc. I may have seen the details on the Jordanian Forum on Trip advisor--I am not 100% sure. BUT--check with the Jordanian authorities in Israel, there is a way!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:02 pm

Dear awayIgo (and joshwex90)
I've have posted the full details of how to drive an Israeli car past the border with Jordan, please look at post #5 in this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyingELAL
Dear awayIgo (and joshwex90)
I've have posted the full details of how to drive an Israeli car past the border with Jordan, please look at post #5 in this thread.

ooops, I do not know how I missed that. I HATE when people post info that I have already posted, and now I just went and did the same thing. --not good, sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.