Wiki Posts
Search

Security on flights TO TLV

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: dl platinum
Security on flights TO TLV

Are there extra security checks for flights departing the US for TLV? I am on Delta flight from JFK coming up and wanted to know what they do on this end. I know all about security leaving TLV/
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
At JFK there is another security check, with xray, at the gate.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:48 pm

rubes--with x-ray??? I fly EL Al and the extra security is questions before checking in and questions before boarding.

I've also walked past the Delta Gates and have never seen any x-ray equipment. The only x ray equipment is that run by TSA.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:05 pm

It varies greatly by airline, airport, and probably even time. I won't detail each, but I've flown to TLV from ATL (no longer offered), EWR, PHL, and ZRH on non-El Al carriers over the past 5 years, and seen:

- Full metal detector and carryon Xray right before the jetway entrance

- Metal detector and carryon Xray before entering the gate area

- A table and some hand-screening before entering the gate area

- Nothing at all, beyond apparently armed Polizei watching the boarding area (okay, that might give away which one it is :-)

Not particularly intrusive in general, although beware that where they Xray carryons they might not allow liquids purchased in the terminal past (when such are normally allowed on flights because you're past the TSA checkpoint).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
All good info. I'll add that the TLV flights from both FRA on LH and IST on TK leave from dedicated gate areas that, once you enter, you cannot leave. TK does not require a special security screening--just a second perusal of your passport.

FRA requires that you go through special security at the gate (it is adjacent to the main transit security area/Z gates but cannot be accessed from outside main security). If you want to visit lounges in FRA en route to TLV, you have to leave yourself a great deal of extra time.

The experience at various U.S. airports indeed varies by port of exit and airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.