Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
FWIW:

POLL-Egypt is worst Arab state for women, Comoros best
Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:01 AM

From the article:
SEXUAL HARASSMENT
Egypt scored badly in almost all categories.

Women played a central role in the country's revolution but activists say the rising influence of Islamists, culminating in the election of Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Mursi as president, was a major setback for women's rights.

Mursi was toppled in a military takeover in July after mass protests against his rule, but hopes for greater freedoms have been tempered by the daily dangers facing women on the street, experts said.

A U.N. report on women in April said 99.3 percent of women and girls are subjected to sexual harassment in Egypt, which some analysts say reflects a general rise in violence in Egyptian society over the past half-decade.

Human Rights Watch reported that 91 women were raped or sexually assaulted in public in Tahrir Square in June as anti-Mursi protests heated up.

"The social acceptability of everyday sexual harassment affects every woman in Egypt regardless of age, professional or socio-economic background, marriage status, dress or behavior,” said Noora Flinkman, communications manager at HarassMap, a Cairo-based rights group that campaigns against harassment.

“It limits women’s participation in public life. It affects their safety and security, their sense of worth, self-confidence and health.”
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:56 pm
bjf
Original Poster

It's booked

I leave march. 26 for a few days in Jordan , then fly to Luxor, staying at the winter pavilion, then to Cairo staying at a Marriott on points. Will get guides and drivers at all three locations.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
I'm sure you'll have a great time. Probably have the ruins all to yourself.

IMO, avoid the public bazaar street, however there is a fantastic shopping pavilion at the winter palace, plus one of the best book stores in the country (also in Luxor, there is another excellent book store beside the Mcdonolds). Be wary of buying hand carved statues, prices are quite inflated.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by bjf
Visit after Jordan. I think I'll fly to Luxor and then to Cairo. Yes I'll get a driver and a guide. I'm thinking that the hotel recommendations would be best to select a driver/guide. I'm not young or especially good looking. Which could cut down on some of the problems. Maybe?
I was in Egypt in late January...myself and a friend... 2 middle aged women on their own. We got a wonderful guide/driver from the kiosk at the Cairo airport. It was very, very inexpensive due to the extreme lack of tourism. The driver spoke no English, but the guide has a degree in Egyptology and spoke four languages, including near perfect English. We stayed near (they kept a protective eye on us), and never felt harassed, endangered or threatened. We did not do any exploring on our own. The driver and guide showed us around.

The mosque, Sakkara and Giza were empty of tourists. We saw only 5 people that were obviously Western tourists. We shopped in nearly empty stores and ate in nearly empty restaurants... the lack of tourists is taking a terrible toll on those who depend upon tourism. Our guide, recently betrothed, was worried that his upcoming wedding might be at risk due to his lack of reliable income.

Unfortunately for us, our two day trip included a Friday-- I certainly did not know that the protesters demonstrate on Fridays. Also, unfortunately, our trip coincided with the 3rd anniversary of the Arab Spring. So the museum was closed, guarded by a line of tanks. The police building was blown up and 8 were killed. Nonetheless, the guides kept us away from trouble spots.

Unlike other posters on this thread, I'm no expert on the area, its customs or safety. I have only this small experience to share. But I would go back, without hesitation, in a similar political climate as today's.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:57 pm
bjf
Original Poster

Thanks so much

I am really looking forward and will be very careful and will get aguide in both cities.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I was in Egypt in late January...myself and a friend... 2 middle aged women on their own. ... But I would go back, without hesitation, in a similar political climate as today's.
Lovely to read a sensible, non-hysterical, report of a great trip to Egypt. Thanks for posting!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Lovely to read a sensible, non-hysterical, report of a great trip to Egypt. Thanks for posting!
And yet, you just never see comments like this on travel sites:

....our trip coincided with the 3rd anniversary of the Arab Spring. So the museum was closed, guarded by a line of tanks. The police building was blown up and 8 were killed......

On the other hand, I'm sure being one of 5 identifiable tourists in an Arab shuk has to an incredible cultural experience.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thumper
And yet, you just never see comments like this on travel sites:

....our trip coincided with the 3rd anniversary of the Arab Spring. So the museum was closed, guarded by a line of tanks. The police building was blown up and 8 were killed......

On the other hand, I'm sure being one of 5 identifiable tourists in an Arab shuk has to an incredible cultural experience.
And yet they "never felt harassed, endangered or threatened"

and would " .....go back, without hesitation, in a similar political climate as today's".

So it seems the charms of Egypt, and the measured, professional services of the guides were much appreciated.

Not sure about your comments about the markets, as the OP never mentioned any. But it's probably more sensible to use one of the anglicised forms (souq, souk) of the arabic word (سوق) in a Cairene context.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
And yet they "never felt harassed, endangered or threatened"

and would " .....go back, without hesitation, in a similar political climate as today's".

So it seems the charms of Egypt, and the measured, professional services of the guides were much appreciated.

The key word is "FELT." I don't think it's particularly relevant whether one "feels" threatened or endangered when there's an decent risk of catastrophe. For example, I don't think the busload of poor Korean tourists who got blown up in the Sinai had previously felt endangered or threatened. But to each his own; anyone going to Egypt
needs to inform themselves of the facts and the risks, and make their own informed decision without regard to irrelevancies such as how others felt.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
The key word is "FELT." I don't think it's particularly relevant whether one "feels" threatened or endangered when there's an decent risk of catastrophe. For example, I don't think the busload of poor Korean tourists who got blown up in the Sinai had previously felt endangered or threatened. But to each his own; anyone going to Egypt
needs to inform themselves of the facts and the risks, and make their own informed decision without regard to irrelevancies such as how others felt.
Parsing demotic speech is an interesting way to address risk!

The contrast I drew was with this sober account of a successful and mainfestly safe trip against a rather hysterical tale, a page back, of other tourists running the gauntlet of spitting mobs as they went round sites.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there are not risks involved in visiting Egypt, but using "decent" to describe might be seen as inflamatory. There, that's me dissecting the colloquial

When it comes to assessing risk I guess our governments are in a better position to do that than are we. Currently UK travellers are advised not to travel to north Siniai, and avoid the south of that region (except for the immediate vicinity of Sharm). The radicalised area around Asyut is also covered by advice to avoid. The rest of the country gets an "OK, but keep an eye on the travel advice website".

All in all, it's very much the same as the general advice given regarding travel to other countries in the region, such as Israel, Jordan and Lebanon, and across the Marghreb. Of course, states immediately to the south and west of Egypt get way stricter warnings.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
All in all, it's very much the same as the general advice given regarding travel to other countries in the region, such as Israel, Jordan and Lebanon, and across the Marghreb. Of course, states immediately to the south and west of Egypt get way stricter warnings.
Speaking of the region, from what I've read violent crime rates tend to be low by world standards in many Middle Eastern cities. Political turmoil and terrorism are very disturbing, but violence is violence, whatever its perpetrators' motivations. Trouble can find you in rich world cities, too.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:37 am
bjf
Original Poster

I'm here

This is my second day in Luxor and I really like. Staying at the winter pavilion, right beside the winter palace, share the same gardens and pool. Beautiful beautiful. No hassle once I'm at the hotel property.
Lots of people want to take me on boat rides, carriage rides etc but I arranged drive/guide thru the hotel and it was a super tour...just what I wanted and on my timetable. Going to Aswan tomorrow and the to Cairo.
Anyone could do this trip. I feel totally safe
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by bjf
This is my second day in Luxor and I really like. Staying at the winter pavilion, right beside the winter palace, share the same gardens and pool. Beautiful beautiful. No hassle once I'm at the hotel property.
Lots of people want to take me on boat rides, carriage rides etc but I arranged drive/guide thru the hotel and it was a super tour...just what I wanted and on my timetable. Going to Aswan tomorrow and the to Cairo.
Anyone could do this trip. I feel totally safe

Good for you! I'd like to go to Luxor myself. Keep us posted on the Cairo portion, too.

I've been thinking about this thread, and my experience in Egypt. I was really touched by the plight of the tourism industry professionals whilst traveling there. Seeing the place empty of tourists, and talking with our guide Mohammed about his employment plight, really made me empathize with the population who suffer due to lack of income. It's just such a downward spiral for them... as he said, "tourism is the sign of a healthy economy". We talked at length with him about tourist emotions... and I get it... people don't want to see tanks with the business end facing them. Not every one would take that in stride. I agree with the upthread posting that our governments issue travel advisories that should be heeded. I'm not foolhardy (not going to jump out of the cab to join a protest!), but not easily frightened, either. As I said, I would go back.

Yes, feeling "safe" is a subjective emotion, while being harassed or spit upon would pretty much nix any warm fuzzy feelings. If that had happened to me, I'd stay away, too. Yes, "trouble can find you" in many places-- I'm not walking through Watts, either.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:48 am
bjf
Original Poster

Trip is still going well, went to Aswan today. Very nice but it is sad to see so many cruise boats/ships sitting at the docks. The tourist industry is really hurting. Tomorrow it's to Cairo, staying at a marriott
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:03 am
bjf
Original Poster

Pyramids

Went to the pyramids today, via taxi, took the horse and cart...20us plus 50 Egypt pounds for the guide. Everything went well, some other people were there but not like it use to be. Not enough hassle to talk about, just a few guys selling stuff but they took no very we'll.
flight from Luxor at 630 was on time and it was very easy to get a cab at the airport.
As far as I can tell...come to Egypt...love it. And am very glad I came

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.