desert safari in dubai

Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
desert safari in dubai

I'll be in Dubai for a 3 day vacation in January. Can anyone recommend a half day desert safari? Wish to join a group tour not private tour as I'm 1pax and looking to keep cost down. A must have on the tour is camel riding.

Do these tours normally run on weekends? I arrive Thursday afternoon and leave Sunday late night.

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:58 pm

Hello, I will be doing the same in march, if you find something post it! Goodluck.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:47 pm

These guys are pretty good.

https://www.arabian-adventures.com

I'm pretty sure the tours run everyday.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:37 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Been on two there,

Found a great price for this tour on groupon.
http://greenlandtourism.ae/
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I got dragged onto another one of these just before Christmas, some friends found a deal on a Groupon like site.

I have no idea of the company name - based on the latest one and others I've been on, you can expect:

- A short - 15 minute ride in Toyota Landcruiser bashing the dunes - if you get an adventurous driver this can be fun.
- Some offer the chance to visit a camel farm (stand around looking at camels)
- Off to the camp - free soft drinks, everything else is chargeable - they will do the 'sell' on you as you enter the camp.

The latest one had quad bikes, you were only allowed to go around in a circle, no dune bashing.
Food - eat before you go (for the price you pay you're not going to get well fed)
Camel ride - there was a camel, I think it was just used for sitting on to have a picture taken - you are not going to be wandering across the dunes like Lawrence of Arabia.
Entertainment - a couple of belly dance shows, nothing spectacular, but okay. Then (on the one I did the other week) they had a chap that did a 'spinning' show - he basically stood there and spun around, actually impressive stuff.
and then off home - a chaotic pick up process, a short ride across the sand, to a shop to get the tyres pumped up (where the shopkeepers invite you in to have a look around) and off to into town.

I'm fairly sure they run everyday, if not then maybe Friday is the day off. Probably best to find reviews, try Trip Advisor maybe?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k2o
Been on two there,

Found a great price for this tour on groupon.
http://greenlandtourism.ae/
Have you used Green Land Tourism? They have a special for 75AED on their website which sounds too good to be true...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Many of the cheaper tours seem charge a lot of extra money for things that come for free on the more expensive ones. The reviews are mixed but most seem to say they are all tourist traps or a gimmick. I was going to book one but second guessing the decision.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
The reviews are mixed but most seem to say they are all tourist traps or a gimmick.
Yes, they are just tourist gimmicks, I had a filipino belly dancer for mine. If you've never been out into the desert in the middle east before, I would do it. If you've been Morrocco, Oman, and done similar already, they're not worth doing.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by YohYohY
I got dragged onto another one of these just before Christmas, some friends found a deal on a Groupon like site.

I have no idea of the company name - based on the latest one and others I've been on, you can expect:

- A short - 15 minute ride in Toyota Landcruiser bashing the dunes - if you get an adventurous driver this can be fun.
- Some offer the chance to visit a camel farm (stand around looking at camels)
- Off to the camp - free soft drinks, everything else is chargeable - they will do the 'sell' on you as you enter the camp.

The latest one had quad bikes, you were only allowed to go around in a circle, no dune bashing.
Food - eat before you go (for the price you pay you're not going to get well fed)
Camel ride - there was a camel, I think it was just used for sitting on to have a picture taken - you are not going to be wandering across the dunes like Lawrence of Arabia.
Entertainment - a couple of belly dance shows, nothing spectacular, but okay. Then (on the one I did the other week) they had a chap that did a 'spinning' show - he basically stood there and spun around, actually impressive stuff.
and then off home - a chaotic pick up process, a short ride across the sand, to a shop to get the tyres pumped up (where the shopkeepers invite you in to have a look around) and off to into town.

I'm fairly sure they run everyday, if not then maybe Friday is the day off. Probably best to find reviews, try Trip Advisor maybe?
This sounds like Arabian Adventures, which is owned by The Emirates Group.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Did one last week. They run everyday, I called the night before and got a pick up at the Mall of Emirate. Used Green Land Tourism as mentioned above. Paid the pick-up driver 75AED ~25-30USD. Pretty much as described by YohYohY, short drive on the dunes in a 4x4 followed by 50 people trying to ride 2 camels and hold 1 falcon. ATVs were extra, I think 200 AED for 30 mins in circles around some tires. Then back on the 4x4 to the camp which was a nice set-up. Soda, dinner and 2 dance acts. They did ration out bbq meat and did run out after 45mins. The side dishes lasted awhile longer maybe 1.5hr. Sisha was free to smoke in the corner but extra to bring to your table.

Overall nothing spectacular, but was fun to experience the desert and see a replica local camp. Plus what can you expect for $25.

I did come across tours advertised for ~100usd, maybe you will get more from those, maybe not...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: Desert Safari
i think, TripAdvisor and Viator is best for finding good travel and tour companies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.