Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

CAI Cairo flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI Cairo flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Flying Through Cairo Airport

I'm no expert, but get the re-route and don't risk it in Cairo. Stay the heck out of there until it all settles down.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_6024.html

You might use this to pressure UA into changing your flight.

You'd likely be fine transferring at the airport.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:15 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the Middle East forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:00 pm

If you read the details of all the travel warnings, from all the western embassies as well as the formal wires that have been sent out to the insurance companies and the airlines there is a very clear trend. They generally advise against tourism in downtown Cairo right now, but also note that only certain portions of the city are unsafe. Also the US, UK and several EU countries have formally proclaimed that the Red Sea resorts and transfers at CAI are perfectly safe. I would not worry, but call UA and tell them you feel unsafe and see how they respond.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
I live in Cairo. As far as I can tell, the airport is operating normally EXCEPT many flights are being delayed/canceled due to the curfew (many international carriers are cancelling their night flights). The situation is fluid, not sure what it will be like in a few days. The military has checkpoints at the airport so security shouldn't be a concern.

Many people are trying to leave Cairo at the moment (yet again), so flights will be heavily booked. So, it may be chaotic for a few days, but will calm down eventually. However, if you have a flight that is still scheduled and confirmed, it should be ok at the present time.

Again, situation changes daily here!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Canuck2012
I live in Cairo. As far as I can tell, the airport is operating normally EXCEPT many flights are being delayed/canceled due to the curfew (many international carriers are cancelling their night flights). The situation is fluid, not sure what it will be like in a few days. The military has checkpoints at the airport so security shouldn't be a concern.

Many people are trying to leave Cairo at the moment (yet again), so flights will be heavily booked. So, it may be chaotic for a few days, but will calm down eventually. However, if you have a flight that is still scheduled and confirmed, it should be ok at the present time.

Again, situation changes daily here!
Thank you very much for your detailed insider update! I am heading that way soon as well and have been keeping an eye on the situation and threads like this.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: *A
thank you for posting here. i will continually check here for updates, as I have a flight with a 8 hour layover in Cairo on the 18th of september
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:15 pm

I just got back from Amman yesterday, and aside from Cairo airport being abnormally quiet , everything is functioning normally. However, the military is taking the curfew very seriously, so don't get caught out on the road during curfew hours.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
You could also check the Fodors Egypt Form if you want to check in to it further. A couple of the regular posters live in Cairo, including one American lady who lives there and writes under the name Casual Cairo.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:58 pm

Travel through Cairo airport

Any Flyertalkers live in Egypt or traveled through Egypt lately? I had a weeklong stopover in Egypt (and am trying to change it to an 11-hour layover) and am wondering what the risk is to travel through the airport (in case things go crazy and the airport shuts down, and I get stuck there). Anyone have any input?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:01 am

Just used the airport last week, working normally. Don't worry.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I've been through twice on connecting flights in the past few weeks, with no issues. In fact, it seems that loads have been light (I don't have enough data to know if they were abnormal), so it was quite pleasant.

I guess there's always a risk (I think back to the Bangkok protests that did affect the airport), but I haven't been sufficiently deterred to change my plans.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by mecabq
I've been through twice on connecting flights in the past few weeks, with no issues. In fact, it seems that loads have been light (I don't have enough data to know if they were abnormal), so it was quite pleasant.

I guess there's always a risk (I think back to the Bangkok protests that did affect the airport), but I haven't been sufficiently deterred to change my plans.
Glad to hear, I have a 4 hour layover in Cairo at the end of the month but was a bit worried about it...sounds like operations are going on as usual
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Flew MS DXB-CAI-AMS w/ 3.5h connection on 4 July when Egypt was in the headlines.

No issues at the airport, although I did get quite stressed beforehand.

Was just talking to someone who was over in Egypt on holidays a couple of weeks ago - sounded like it's business as usual at CAI and nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by nanyang
Flew MS DXB-CAI-AMS w/ 3.5h connection on 4 July when Egypt was in the headlines.

No issues at the airport, although I did get quite stressed beforehand.

Was just talking to someone who was over in Egypt on holidays a couple of weeks ago - sounded like it's business as usual at CAI and nothing to worry about.
Stress free now after all the information I have received.....what is the best * Alliance lounge to use in CAIRO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.