Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Hotel In Dubai?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

What Hotel In Dubai?

My wife and I are going to Dubai for 4 nights in February. I have points to burn for a few free nights at Hilton or Radisson. We are trying to decide between Hilton Dubai Creek, Radisson Deira, Radisson Media City, or Hilton Jumeirah.

I have gold status at Hilton.

We like to be near the tourist sights, have a nice gym/pool, close to some decent restaurants. The beach we could take or leave. I was worried about the congestion using Deira as a base...am I off base on this?

Anyone have informed guidance? Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
These are two distinct ends of the city -- Media City and Jumeirah in the greater Jumeirah Beach area, and Deira at the other. I personally prefer Deira and would probably choose the Radisson there. It has among the best F&B in Dubai, with an enormous array of solid restaurants and bars, plus is within walking distance of good local (Arabic and Indian/Pakistani) restaurants. Plus I like to walk around Deira. Yes, it's more congested, and difficult to catch a taxi (I had a horrible time last time I was trying to leave the Radisson after dinner), but also more centrally located and more lively than Jumeirah Beach.

Jumeirah Beach is more like a western suburb, more upscale and modern than Deira, so it certainly has its appeal -- though it's mostly chain restaurants in the area. In addition to the old city and souqs, Deira is closer to the airport and slightly closer to the best attraction in Dubai (in my opinion): Souq al Bahar and the fountain. I also love walking along the waterfront in Deira and seeing the rickety old boats carrying all manner of exports to Iran, and you can take a water taxi to the other side.

The Radisson Deira has a pool; it's not quite as nice as that at the Hilton Jumeirah, but perfectly adequate, especially if you don't care about the beach.

I have stayed at all of these except the Radisson Media City; it seems a bit more modern than the other three, all of which are on the old side for Dubai properties. Indeed the main disadvantage of my recommendation is that the public areas and guest rooms are slightly dated, though in my opinion the amenities and location outweigh that disadvantage.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 pm
Suspended

How about staying at the one that the agent was killed, sort of like staying in a historical place?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

@mec--thank you for the reply. Very informative. As we are looking for more of the cultural aspects, Deira it is. I have read favorable things about the executive lounge at the Hilton property, which I would presumably have access to. That may be our trump over the Radisson. Thanks again.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Plastic Elite
How about staying at the one that the agent was killed, sort of like staying in a historical place?
That was the Al Bustan Rotana. Another great hotel. Great lounge!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:30 am

Hilton Dubai Creek executive lounge is very small. Worth staying though, if you can get a free upgrade to the penthouse suite
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: happy hour
Al Bustan Rotana fan

Last month I stayed in the Al Bustan Rotana by DBX for about one week's time for work (first time trip to the Middle East). After I returned home, I found the flyertalk thread that mentioned the assassination of the Hamas military commander on Floor 2 of the hotel. Wow, that was a fascinating post-trip fact to learn! Thanks, flyertalk.

Landing in the desert with a dazzling array of skyscrapers, I loved my stay at this old-style Arab luxury hotel. It is only four stories high. I never heard an American accent my entire stay at the hotel nor where I was working (in an office in Al Mamzar). Staff were very welcoming and friendly. Lots of Arabs stay here, and there were Arab businesses meeting in the hotel.

The executive lounge privilege is worth the extra cost (of course it was, I wasn't paying!). My first night I was in a standard room on Floor 2 (!) and moved into an executive room on Floor 3 for the rest of my stay. The executive room was more spacious, had a balcony, but was more noisy. It also had L'Occitane products, fresh orchids, and treats were left some nights. Canapes, chocolates, etc.

In case this matters to you, the rooms have bidets.

Breakfast, afternoon tea and happy hour are served in the executive lounge each day and is included in the room rate. I enjoyed the spicy Indian food for breakfast, the scones at afternoon tea and everything at happy hour (not a dry hotel).

The pool was easy to access, and I never felt awkward swimming in a standard ladies one-piece swimsuit. I saw a women swimming in a bikini, lots of women dressed like me and women swimming in suits that covered their bodies.

The staff went over and beyond when I asked to check back into my room after I had checked out Thursday morning (Thursday is the start of the weekend in the UAE). My flight didn't depart until 10:30 PM, and I had about 7 hours to burn. They accommodated me, I got to go to happy hour and for a nice long swim one last time, and return to my room to shower and relax before my flight.

Anyway, I was really hoping to be booked in a Hyatt for my stay in DBX so I could earn points, but our travel agent suggested this hotel and I'm glad I threw caution to the wind. It was a great experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.