Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia 2-stop Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I've booked the following connection in SV:
Kuwait-Jeddah (8 hours layover)
Jeddah-Riyadh (6 hours layover)
Riyadh-Milan

These are 3 different flights, not a stop flight or something, which Saudia has a lot of .

Jeddah is 4 hours MCT international/domestic, Jedday is is 2 hours or so domestic/international, so this is fine.

According to TIMATIC this is allowed: When flying with SV, you may have 2 stops in Saudi Arabia, as long as you stay not more than 18 hours within the country. So no visa would be required.

Now I was really hoping that someone could explain me if in practice it works, and how.
The most logic thing would be that I receive a entry stamp in JED, I proceed to my domestic flight, and I get a exit stamp in RUH. That's it. However I imagine it will be not that easy...

Or would it be worth to apply for a transit visa beforehand nevertheless. I would be happy to do that, however I am anxious they could refuse it for whatever reason (it's KSA after all) and I would not be able to use the regular TIMATIC transit without visa rule since I am on some kind of blacklist.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: QR Platinum; EY Silver; KC Gold
Can you confirm that the whole trip is with Saudi Arabian Airlines?

They have different non-transit connected terminals in both Riyadh and Jeddah to foreign airlines which would require an entry stamp.

The disconnected terminals in Jeddah are particularly annoying.

Both airports are dull and you'll be climbing the walls to get out of the place.

As far as visas are concerned, you'll be at the mercy of whatever prick there is at your passport control counter, and if you get one of the nasty ones, also your nationality and/or ethnicity. Dress smart and smile glibly.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, all is on Saudia flight number and saudia operated flight. That I behave properly is clear as cristal. Thankfully I would have access to the Alfursan lounges (priority pass, but I am travelling Eco), so the boring part will not be that bad (or I'll just have a nap).

I was just wondering how this "domestic" leg inside the two international would be handle, as it is a legit connection according to TIMATIC. So something must be in place to cover these passengers, just wanted to know what to expect.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I know RUH (too) well but not JED, and I rarely fly SV.

That said, I agree with your interpretation of the TWOV regs (assuming you don't have an Israeli passport ). I have two concerns:

- the random KSA cluelessness. I've never met an unpleasant immigration official but quite a few bored/inept/unhelpful ones. I'm sure it will work out fine but you need to be prepared for lots of hassle and queueing. Remain positive and smiling !
- SV's poor punctuality. Especially worrying with two connections.

If there really is no other option, call your local SV office and ask to talk through the transit process in JED and RUH.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. At least a delay will not be an issue with a 8 hour layover in JED and 6 hour in RUH, plus JED-RUH flying basically every hour

If all goes wrong they would probably rebook me in KWI anyway, since there are two different KWI-RUH-MXP one stop connections in SV that day (a later and an early one).

Did you guys flew SV before? What to expect on their flights? All flights are on A320... I believe no personal IFE, but especailly the RUH-MXP seems to have large seat pitch and I guess one can expect decent food...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I've only flown SV on a couple of short trips from RUH to BAH on the E170. I was pleasantly surprised how they managed to serve a drinks round and an edible full meal on a 43 min flight (in Y). Friendly crew but no IFE and no alcohol (obviously).

As I said before, my concern is their punctuality. Not from personal experience but from looking at the screens at various airports.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:32 pm

Location: شمال أمريكا والعالم العربي - N America + Arab World
Programs: *A, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by Reifel
Did you guys flew SV before? What to expect on their flights? All flights are on A320... I believe no personal IFE, but especailly the RUH-MXP seems to have large seat pitch and I guess one can expect decent food...
They will feed you in all their flights (even the domestic ones will have a hot mini-tray.)
A320 don't have PTV or IFE, you are stuck with the ceiling screens.
Mini concern: the international and national terminals in Jeddah are two separate buildings. I know there is a (rickity old) bus that takes you there, but you have to ask.
The switch in Riyadh will be easier.
In Riyadh you need to leave thru the baggage claim and turn north to head from terminal 3 to terminal 2. Then go up the escalators to check in and passport control.
Good luck!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gayrab
Mini concern: the international and national terminals in Jeddah are two separate buildings. I know there is a (rickity old) bus that takes you there, but you have to ask.
They are?

Last time I was in Jeddah, all Saudia flights (international and domestic) operated from the South terminal. A quick look at Flightstats suggests that hasn't changed...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your hints so far. SV loads a minimum connecting time of 4 hours from International to domestic in the GDS, so I believe this will be rock'n'roll... Would be great if a terminal transfer in JED isn't necessary, that said I have time, and it will add a little bit to the fun
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Reifel, did you fly this already?
Also, was it all on one ticket?

I am looking into booking XXX-JED on SV on one ticket, to be followed with JED-RUH-LHR on SV on a second ticket.

If I was to leave 8-10 hours between flights in JED, is that going to be sufficient? And will it cause issues with 18hrs TWOV?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Hi There,
no didn't flew it yet. Will be End of January. I am in serious trouble anyway with tons of schedule changes, sending back and forth between Saudia, my travel agency and the airline which issued the ticket (which is different than SV). Plus in Frankfurt SV staff all say me I will never able to travel with a two stop connection in KSA anyway...

Alone with this experience I would not recommend you to a) book a two stop connection in SV and b) even less on two tickets, especially with all the schedule changes I received which will cause you serious headache if you receive similar things.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the reply - for me that travel is off the table, for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.