Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transport from Dead Sea to Jerusalem during Shabbat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Hi all, I'll be in Israel for a work trip, with some time off from Thursday through Sunday. Being my first visit to Israel, I'd like to go to the Dead Sea on Thursday and Friday, then spend the rest of the time in Jerusalem.

But are there transportation options from the Dead Sea to Jerusalem during the Shabbat? Or is renting a car the only option?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ryu2
Hi all, I'll be in Israel for a work trip, with some time off from Thursday through Sunday. Being my first visit to Israel, I'd like to go to the Dead Sea on Thursday and Friday, then spend the rest of the time in Jerusalem.

But are there transportation options from the Dead Sea to Jerusalem during the Shabbat? Or is renting a car the only option?
Start walking!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 45128
Start walking!
That's helpful...

Originally Posted by Ryu2
Or is renting a car the only option?
I well either that or taking a taxi.

Bear in mind the only rental company that has a Dead Sea presence is Hertz so if you want to pick up/drop off there, they are your only option.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
If you are at a hotel, they will be able to arrange transportation for you with a non-jewish taxi. Pending on your destination in Jerusalem, there might be issues on the Sabbath.

There are numerous beach clubs along the northern portion of the Dead Sea, right where Route 90 goes south from Route 1 out of Jerusalem. Those places are jumping all "weekend" long.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
On Saturday night you will probably hav a bus.
Hitchhiking is a possible but not always safe option
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:05 pm

Do not hitch--it is not safe the way it was years ago.
The hotel will be able to arrange transport with a taxi and there is a good chance the driver will be a secular israeli--it is really irrelevant. BUT it will not be cheap.

Arriving in Jerusalem, depending upon where you are going to be staying you may not be able to check into your hotel until after the Sabbath. Many guests, even those who are not religious will not checkout until AFTER the Sabbath, so rooms are not available. Check in advance with your hotel.

If you only have Thursday-Sunday to actually visit Israel, I would urge you to spend more time in Jerusalem and less at the Dead Sea. There is so much to do and see in Jerusalem and the Dead Sea hotel--will be a resort like resorts all over the world. The Dead Sea experience itself takes maybe 30 minutes. It is not a beach you are going to sit out on and bask in the sun.

Last edited by awayIgo; Jul 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reason: added last two paragraphs.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:10 pm

you will enjoy israel and the dead sea
to travel from dead sea to jerusalem in shabat you can if you have acar or can wait for the end of shabat ( i think 18:00 ) and then you have bus.
you do not have alot of thinks to do in shabat in jerusalem (its closed)
enjoy the dead sea
eran
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:25 pm

[QUOTE
you do not have alot of things to do in shabat in jerusalem (its closed)
[/QUOTE]

It is 100% incorrect to say there is nothing to do in Jerusalem on the Sabbath. The Israel Museum, the Islamic Museum, the Rockefeller museum, the non-Kosher restaurants, the entire Old City except the Jewish Quarter, the zoo etc. etc. are all open on the Sabbath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.