Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 8, 12, 10:27 pm   #1

TLV car rental "center", really?

Is the new remote car rental area at TLV temporary, or is that really the permanent solution, with the separate shuttles and everything? I ask because last time in TLV, 3-4 years ago, renting from Hertz was fairly painless, went to the counter then out to the garage to the well signed elevator to the car.

This time, a few weeks ago, I got to experience the "consolidated" facility near T1 after arrival. First, I missed the signage and used the floor level list to go to the wrong side of whichever level has the rental counters, requiring multiple escalators back to the right side (Maybe it's just me being obtuse, but I find the TLV airport signage to not always be as complete as other places, including trying to find checkin area "G" for US Airways on the way home. But that's another story). Got near the counter, and despite the lack of the standard "Gold customers proceed to shuttle" sign, decided that's what I should do. Followed the signs out to the garage and elevators, down to the shuttle area, which lacks sidewalks or a clear idea of where to wait while avoiding being run over by traffic. Of course all of the other companies' shuttles were waiting except Hertz, and 3-4 of them left while I waited for about 15 minutes.

The shuttle bus was the kind meant for tours -- driver comes around to the back to load luggage, then everyone goes back around to the front to board. Luckily just me and one other person, or that could take a while. The ride is 5-10 minutes to an area that looks like it belongs in the 1950s (probably the original car rental facility?), with the rental companies in tiny offices arranged in a U shape.

Return was equally inconvenient, with the shuttle, of course, leaving just before I was there, so I got to wait another 15 minutes for it to return.

Assuming the remote lot is really the plan, wouldn't a common shuttle system that ran more frequently be more efficient?

I don't mean to complain too much, as I enjoyed (most) other aspects of my business trip (nothing like expensing dinner at a beachside cafe watching the sun set or spending a free day walking around Jerusalem), but this just seemed like a huge step backward from the rest of the shiny "new" airport (I remember the old T1 circa 1996)...
jmastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 12, 5:18 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastron View Post

Assuming the remote lot is really the plan, wouldn't a common shuttle system that ran more frequently be more efficient?

1- the lot by T1 isnt new and is in fact many yrs old and where we used to go to get and return the car before T3 was opened

2- even when you were able to p/u the car @ T3, after you dropped it off they drove it over to the lot by T1 to clean it etc etc

3- when they moved the p/u over to T1 then did in fact have a common shuttle it was far Worse then what it is today. It left at certain times and went around the U if you werent the 1st or 2nd place, you had to wait for the next shuttle and hope no one waits at the 1st couple of places again. In the end most people simply took a cart and went over to the 1st stop

4- there is talk of the companys returning to T3 but who knows when. right now Avis is the Only company where you can p/u @ T3 but you still must return the car to the lot by T1
Old Jun 17, 12, 12:32 am   #3

Programs: All of them...
There is a shuttle bus for all rentels, and yes it's a big pain to pickup/return the car there, the bus only travels at 15km/h....
chff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 7:46 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chff View Post
There is a shuttle bus for all rentels, and yes it's a big pain to pickup/return the car there, the bus only travels at 15km/h....
well for 3 of my rentals in the past yr that werent with Avis there was no generic shuttle van but each company had its own and they went a heck of alot faster then 15km/h So I can only assume either you didnt rent at TLV or didnt have any idea of how fast they were travelin
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:07 pm   #5

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I wanted to confirm that Craz's experiences were similar to mine.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:04 am   #6

I was returning a car 10pm running to catch a flight so I was very nervous to make my flight... But it was a shuttle for all rentel cars, not each company their own. It was Nov 2010, maybe changed since then
Old Jun 21, 12, 4:45 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IC Amb, SPG Gold, Avis PC, Hertz Gold #1 etc...
Quote:
It was Nov 2010, maybe changed since then
Indeed it has.
clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 12, 7:47 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman
Indeed it has.
Ah, B"H
Old Jun 22, 12, 12:16 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
I was returning a car 10pm running to catch a flight so I was very nervous to make my flight... But it was a shuttle for all rentel cars, not each company their own. It was Nov 2010, maybe changed since then
as Clubman already posted its no longer a generic shuttle for all companys.

But take note at night since the airport isnt at full capacity if you miss the companys shuttle you will have to wait till the next one and Id say at least with Hertz that meant bet 10-15 mins as I believe they are running only 2 at that hour, it also looked like everyone else was doing the same

When Ive arrived mid afternoon it seemed as if they were running 1 or 2 more. Since I had plenty of time till my flight I didnt ask Hertz to drive me over in a their car, and dont know if they would have. Ive had a personal drop off a few times here in the US when I was running very late

But I did wait close to 15 mins before the shuttle arrived and we left, which is still better then what it was with the All for 1 shuttle
Old Aug 15, 13, 7:09 am   #10

I figure my old thread is as good a place to ask this as any, since I can't seem to find the latest anywhere -- what is the current location for pickup and return with Hertz at TLV? I'm arriving this weekend, first time since my OP; will I still take the shuttle to the old rental offices, or have they moved some operations back to the Terminal 3 garage? I'm Hertz Gold if it makes a difference.
jmastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 11:24 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
I figure my old thread is as good a place to ask this as any, since I can't seem to find the latest anywhere -- what is the current location for pickup and return with Hertz at TLV? I'm arriving this weekend, first time since my OP; will I still take the shuttle to the old rental offices, or have they moved some operations back to the Terminal 3 garage? I'm Hertz Gold if it makes a difference.
Hertz has an office for pickups inside terminal 3, in the eastern gallery which is overlooking the arrivals hall (that means - when you get out to the arrivals hall (after baggage claim) you should look up and to the left - that's the gallery floor. Take the elevator which is situated left to exit 03, up to floor 1 (your are on ground floor - floor "G"). You should easily spot the Hertz counter. They seem to have a rental pickup parking lot in terminal 3, however the returning may be in the rental cars center, which is next to the entrance to the airport (just ask them where the drop-off).
FlyingELAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 11:30 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingELAL View Post
however the returning may be in the rental cars center, which is next to the entrance to the airport (just ask them where the drop-off).
I think Avis might be the only ones who offer return to T3 as well.
Old Sep 20, 13, 3:17 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
well for 3 of my rentals in the past yr that werent with Avis there was no generic shuttle van but each company had its own and they went a heck of alot faster then 15km/h So I can only assume either you didnt rent at TLV or didnt have any idea of how fast they were travelin
I rented from Avis on Aug 16, 2013.
No shuttle needed. To return you just head toward short term parking.
They said only Avis had this

At the end of the trip I booked from Sixt in the city and returned it to the airport
That involved a shuttle in a Sixt van by myself early in the morning, and the driver "requested" a tip before opening the back of the van to get my bags out. He did drive very fast, not 15 KM/HR as someone reported shuttles going

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 20, 13 at 3:34 am.
mvoight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 13, 5:48 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
That involved a shuttle in a Sixt van by myself early in the morning, and the driver "requested" a tip before opening the back of the van to get my bags out.
I would have reported him.
Old Sep 23, 13, 11:15 am   #15

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Both Avis and Eldan have return at T3
joshwex90 is online now   Reply With Quote