Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question - duty free Middle East

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A question to those who know, is it permitted to take duty free (a couple of bottles of red wine) from London to Muscat [in the normal carrier bag onboard fashion] and then from Oman to Dubai on another flight (understanding it will need to be packed in the suitcase because of liquid on planes restrictions). Passenger is non-Muslim, and what I can find tells me it should be ok going into Muscat, but I wasn't sure Muscat to Dubai, whether that may be different, even for a Western visitor.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
If it is bought duty free, and it remains sealed all the way, there's no need to stuff it in your checked bag (which you probably won't see during the transfer). Be however aware that you can't buy any duty free liquids when entering Australia before the last transit point.
Here's an example: if you're flying LHR-MCT-DOH-SYD then you can only buy duty free liquids at DOH. Anything bought before that (liquids that is) will be confiscated by SYD costums.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headhunterke
If it is bought duty free, and it remains sealed all the way, there's no need to stuff it in your checked bag (which you probably won't see during the transfer). Be however aware that you can't buy any duty free liquids when entering Australia before the last transit point.
Here's an example: if you're flying LHR-MCT-DOH-SYD then you can only buy duty free liquids at DOH. Anything bought before that (liquids that is) will be confiscated by SYD costums.
Thanks - the flight is London to Muscat, then a few days in Muscat, then a flight to Dubai, with a few days in Dubai, then on (but the wine is for consumption in Dubai with some other expats at their home). I am just not sure about the rules on alcohol from Muscat to Dubai, but I think it will have to be in checked, due to the liquid rules (which is fine) just don't want trouble for the act of bringing alchol from Muscat to Dubai if that is not permitted.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:14 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Middle East Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: EY Platinum
You can take duty free alcohol into both Dubai and Muscat, and you can buy duty-free alcohol in Muscat airport to take into Dubai and vice-versa. You're allowed a maximum of 5 bottles of wine duty-free into Dubai.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by csdf
You're allowed a maximum of 5 bottles of wine duty-free into Dubai.
5 full size and one third-size

Limit is 4l of alcohol, you can mix wine and spirits within this.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: Skywards, Kris, AA, Star
Originally Posted by emma69
Thanks - the flight is London to Muscat, then a few days in Muscat, then a flight to Dubai, with a few days in Dubai, then on (but the wine is for consumption in Dubai with some other expats at their home). I am just not sure about the rules on alcohol from Muscat to Dubai, but I think it will have to be in checked, due to the liquid rules (which is fine) just don't want trouble for the act of bringing alchol from Muscat to Dubai if that is not permitted.
You can buy duty free on arrival at both airports, the selection includes beer, spirits, wines etc and the shops are in the respective baggage halls. Prices are quite good, maybe more expensive than the US but probably not the UK. This avoids all the problems.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:15 am

What about buying wine outside of duty free? For example, we are traveling to Georgia (the country) and want to bring back some wine to Dubai in our check-in luggage. Is this permitted? We are Dubai residents. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Travel Shopper
You can buy duty free on arrival at both airports, the selection includes beer, spirits, wines etc and the shops are in the respective baggage halls. Prices are quite good, maybe more expensive than the US but probably not the UK. This avoids all the problems.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by niner4nine
What about buying wine outside of duty free? For example, we are traveling to Georgia (the country) and want to bring back some wine to Dubai in our check-in luggage. Is this permitted? We are Dubai residents. Thanks!
Yup.

Passengers are permitted to bring the following items into Dubai without paying customs duty:
  • Gifts whose value does not exceed AED 3,000.
  • The Number of cigarettes should not exceed (400) cigarettes, (50) cigars, (500) grams of tobacco (minced or pressed for pipes), minced or pressed tobacco for smoking, tobacco or mild-tasting tobacco. Exceeding the above will be dutiable.
  • The amount of alcoholic beverages and beers should not exceed 4 liters of alcohol beverages, or 2 cartons of beer (each consisting of 24 cans, not exceeding 355 ml for each can or its equivalent).

But:
Conditions for Exemption

The following conditions shall be in force for the duty exemption for the above:
  • Baggage and gifts must be of a personal nature and not in commercial quantities.
  • The passenger should not be a frequent traveler with goods on a regular basis, or a member of the respective conveyance crew.
  • Passengers must be above 18 years of age for carrying allowable cigarettes or alcoholic beverages into the country.
  • The aforementioned conditions apply to whoever accompanies the passenger.

http://www.dubaicustoms.ae/Content/T...ittedItems.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.