Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

CO: TLV-EWR duty free liquor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to confirm- for CO (UA) TLV-EWR, if one wanted to buy duty free liquor in TLV, they would be faced with the secondary liquid screening right before boarding, correct? Or is there a way to get it on board in a legit fashion?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
When I tried to do it they wanted to take it away. Went back to Duty Free and they allowed me an exchange...so I returned with a lot of Swiss Chocolates.

Edit after JoshWex90's post: They saw me packing it into my bag so I was stopped. If you're going to do it be sure to repack out of sight.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Feb 13, 2012 at 7:45 am
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
There is no secondary screening. When you get to the gate, they will ask you if you have liquid. If it's in your bag, where they can't see it, they won't open your bag to check - they will take your word for it. If you want to bring duty free, just tell them no. More and more, they don't even ask me anymore - they just say "no liquids allowed," and it's up to me to say "I have liquids." (Granted, I no longer bring duty free with me.)
So if you want to bring duty free liquor with you, it's quite easy. But it might not fit your criterion of "legit."
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: Skywards, Kris, AA, Star
Originally Posted by Pureboy
I just wanted to confirm- for CO (UA) TLV-EWR, if one wanted to buy duty free liquor in TLV, they would be faced with the secondary liquid screening right before boarding, correct? Or is there a way to get it on board in a legit fashion?
You can find all duty free rules and regulations here... http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/search/tlv
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel Shopper
You can find all duty free rules and regulations here... http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/search/tlv
This not only doesn't answer the OP's question, it's factually incorrect. The OP asked about carrying duty free liquids onto the plane, which isn't technically allowed, though is easy to skirt.
That site doesn't talk about that. It also claims that TLV has an arrivals duty free shop, which isn't true. The extent of inbound duty free at TLV is pickup: If you buy duty free when departing TLV and plan on returning, you can leave your purchase in Israel, and pick it up on return. The site makes no mention of that either.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: All of them...
When I flew on CO they just grabed my bag and opened it and started looking into it
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chff
When I flew on CO they just grabed my bag and opened it and started looking into it
Was there a reason for that? That's technically illegal (at TLV, only official security forces can demand to see your bag).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.