Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

United Arab Emirates "Transit" Visa < 96hrs. Does anyone have experience getting one?

United Arab Emirates "Transit" Visa < 96hrs. Does anyone have experience getting one?

Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

Hello,

I need some Visa assistance or guidance for the UAE.

Am a Canadian travelling on a Canadian Passport. I wish to go to Dubai the hard way (not on Emirates or Ethiad but on a Star Alliance carrier). The plan is to continue on a side trip to Africa transiting through Dubai. We would therefore have stops in Dubai on the outbound and inbound of the trip.

Due to some bad politics of not allowing Emirates landing rights in many parts of Canada, the UAE has returned the favour with high visa fees.

The UAE Embassy in Ottawa wants $250 CAD for a single entry visa. There are no multiple visa options available on their website. UAE Embassy Ottawa

They do list options with Merhaba Visa Services, and direct you to their website. Marhaba Visa Services However, I'm leery of being denied boarding in the USA or in Africa without anything in my passport.

They do suggest getting a hotel to arrange the visa for you. I have been in contact with several hotels - the Sheraton, the Sofitel and Le Meridien. Le Meridien turned us away unless we had corporate contacts in Dubai, where as the other hotels are willing to arrange it provided that we pay 450 AED ($125 USD) with a 5000 AED ($1,400) Deposit. All hotels claimed that they would refund the deposit once you send them a copy of the exit stamp.

1. Has anyone had experience getting a Visa through the Hotel and leaving a deposit? It seems very complicated and I'm a bit concerned that if complications arose, it would be difficult to get the money back. I'm equally concerned about spending $250 X 2 which would be $1,000 for two of us for both entries.

2. Once a tourist / transit visa is provided, do you have to stay at the sponsoring hotel? Could you stay one day in Dubai (hotel sponsored visa) then continue on to Abu Dhabi within the 96 hr period?

3. Is there an option of arriving in the afternoon, staying on the secure side of the DXB airport, then departing internationally in the evening of the same day, without any Visa?

Suggestions?

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Apr 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.