FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Israel Railways

Comments, criticisms, etc. welcome.

Scheduled itinerary is
JRS/HFA
HFA/TLV

Travel times seem reasonable, as do fares (1 regular, 1 senior). Reserved seat service? Probably a no-brainer.

Or, will we be sorry we didn't take alternate transportation? 1 large bag each w/1 carry-on size each.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
The Tel Aviv - Haifa route is fast and comfortable.

The Jerusalem - Tel Aviv route is a scenic route. It's very slow and the station in Jerusalem is not in the center of town.

You have to go thru Tel aviv to travel from Jerusalem to Haifa.

If you want, you can take the 480 bus from Jerusalem to the TLV train station and from there the train to haifa.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:51 am

Agree with Houminer. BTW unless you are traveling during very busy times it is not necessary to reserve a seat? When are you traveling?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
I would suggest taking the direct Jerusalem Haifa bus There are a number of buses ending in different parts of the city, including the 940, 947 and 960 which is scheduled for 2 hours (although I don't believe it).

True the Tel Aviv Jerusalem train route is very scenic but as mentioned it is very slow and leaves from Malcha in the south of the city near the mall and in the middle of nowhere.

Especially with luggage, the bus is the best bet and you can get to the bus station just about by any local bus or by a taxi

For exact scheules go to www.bus.co.il there is an english page
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They don't do reserved seats on the trains, but outside of rush hour you should be OK.

The most efficient way would be to bus to the Arlozorov in TLV and train from there to haifa.
Haifa-> Tel aviv(both city/airport) is easy.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by entropy
They don't do reserved seats on the trains, but outside of rush hour you should be OK.

The most efficient way would be to bus to the Arlozorov in TLV and train from there to haifa.
Haifa-> Tel aviv(both city/airport) is easy.
The bus is still faster, seamless, non stop and probably cheaper than the train bus combo with a wait, carrying of luggage, and transfer in Tel Aviv
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:37 am

1. Many, not all trains DO have reserved seats. It depends upon the train. ( I am not sure what the criteria is) I just looked a train from TA to Haifa and for 5NIS you can reserve.
Depending upon what time you are traveling to take a direct bus from Jerusalem to Haifa you risk all kinds of traffic.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
For trains that have reserved seats, likely only the first car is. You can always get on any train, and there will be non-reserved seats.
Tel Aviv - Haifa is a great route, a lot of it on the water, very pretty, and reasonably quick. Definitely better than the bus. I believe it's shorter, but also more comfortable. You have a wider aisle, and every 2 seats face 2 seats, and you have more legroom, outlets, bathrooms... A no-brainer. And there's no problem bringing a carry-on or a piece of luggage. I've seen people (such as myself one time) take even 3 pieces of luggage without a problem.
For Tel Aviv-Jerusalem, go with the bus. If you're looking to get to Haifa, take the 480 to Arlozorov, and take the train from there. It's the quickest bus to Tel Aviv, and from there, you're right by the train. The only reason I'd suggest taking the train is if you're traveling in 2017 when the high speed train between the 2 is (supposedly going to be) finished.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Regarding Jerusalem to Haifa, we took the Egged 940. This appears to be the best bet between the two cities, recommended by both the hotel and at the bus station. Traveling with large luggage is a minor PITA at the Jerusalem bus station, and one needs to get the Israeli crowd mentality in order before station arrival. Otherwise, the trip was fairly comfortable and quick, and quite a bargain.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Regarding Haifa to Tel Aviv, we ended up in a taxi. It was not planned that way, but it worked out nicely. We were on our way down from Har Carmel to the train station and the driver told us because of the shelling in the south, we should take the bus, because they have to stop the southbound trains from time to time when there are 'incoming' and they back up for 20-40 minutes at a time. Meanwhile, I saw what the fare already was (with luggage add-on, which they all seem to charge), and knew we had a few KMs @ TLV in taxi when we got here, and the driver offered us a ride all the way here for a not-unreasonable price that went down when I hesitated at the first price. Nice guy, nice ride, saved shlepping luggage for 2 on the train, at a fare I could live with.

Other than showing us family pics on his phone while driving, as well as taking a few calls, he was a good driver.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Regarding Haifa to Tel Aviv, we ended up in a taxi. It was not planned that way, but it worked out nicely. We were on our way down from Har Carmel to the train station and the driver told us because of the shelling in the south, we should take the bus, because they have to stop the southbound trains from time to time when there are 'incoming' and they back up for 20-40 minutes at a time. Meanwhile, I saw what the fare already was (with luggage add-on, which they all seem to charge), and knew we had a few KMs @ TLV in taxi when we got here, and the driver offered us a ride all the way here for a not-unreasonable price that went down when I hesitated at the first price. Nice guy, nice ride, saved shlepping luggage for 2 on the train, at a fare I could live with.

Other than showing us family pics on his phone while driving, as well as taking a few calls, he was a good driver.
How much did you pay? You were 2 people? And how much luggage? (Sorry for all the questions - just trying to asses the fare )
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How much did you pay? You were 2 people? And how much luggage? (Sorry for all the questions - just trying to asses the fare )
NIS400 for 2 with 2 very large bags, and 2 carry-on type. We'd have spent 40 alone for the bags in each taxi (to and from train) for a minimum of 80, plus the fares to/from the train stations.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
What a taste of home. sigh.

I want to take a train from point a to point b.

No you don't, the bus is better.

OK, but I want to take the train.

On the bus it is faster.

I want to take the train.

The view's pretty by train but the bus leaves from a better place.

I want to take the train.

then why did you ask for help if you weren't going to listen.

This conversation could have taken place on any street in Israel. And often does.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Thumper
This conversation could have taken place on any street in Israel. And often does.
LOL!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
Reading that conversation made my day. Thanks! That reminds me of the acronym I learned: TIME
This Is Middle East

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.