Travel to Israel in March?

Subscribe
If I go to Israel in March will all the tourism sites be open? It seems like March will be in the off season for tourism but does Israel really have an off season like the Greek Islands?

I'm trying to pick between going in March, late April, or May. I would like the crowds to be small, but all the sites still open.
Depends what you mean by All the Sites. If you're referring to the religious/historical stuff yes. If you're talking about recreational stuff some hotels do have slow seasons because the weather isn't standard Israeli beach time. But you can still get massages and scuba.

Quote: If I go to Israel in March will all the tourism sites be open? It seems like March will be in the off season for tourism but does Israel really have an off season like the Greek Islands?

I'm trying to pick between going in March, late April, or May. I would like the crowds to be small, but all the sites still open.
Quote: Depends what you mean by All the Sites. If you're referring to the religious/historical stuff yes. If you're talking about recreational stuff some hotels do have slow seasons because the weather isn't standard Israeli beach time. But you can still get massages and scuba.
+1

All major sites are open. Religious, historical, tourist... you will have no problems
Also do you have any ideas for your itinerary? Many on here could tell you if your ideas are great, ok...something to skip. I lived there for many years and know a few small points of interest that if you're intending on going to something that is just plain boring I wouldn't mind suggesting as I'm sure others will toss in ideas.
Quote: If I go to Israel in March will all the tourism sites be open? It seems like March will be in the off season for tourism but does Israel really have an off season like the Greek Islands?

Passover is high season. Sometimes its beginning falls in March. In 2012, it begins at sundown on April 6.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Quote: Also do you have any ideas for your itinerary? Many on here could tell you if your ideas are great, ok...something to skip. I lived there for many years and know a few small points of interest that if you're intending on going to something that is just plain boring I wouldn't mind suggesting as I'm sure others will toss in ideas.
I'm taking a package tour there, but on the first day (of 2) in Jerusalem there is no tour, you just go out on your own. Is it easy to walk around Jerusalem, are the sites easy to access? I guess security will be tight, but other than that is it kind of like other cities?
Jerusalem is very easy to navigate on your own. Comfortable shoes are a good idea. Security is always present but not in your face. They're there observing more than interacting. You can ask any soldier to take pictures with them and for directions. Pretty much everyone there speaks English so don't be shy. Knowing a few words in Hebrew is a good idea. Enjoy the trip.
I know your SN says Delta in it but if you've never flown 11 hours (NYC-TLV) you may want to consider the CO direct flight over the DL flight. The AVOD alone is worth it. I do not know if DL 744 have AVOD in Y...if you're flying Y. I prefer the mid afternoon flight out of EWR to TLV as you arrive mid morning I think and that gives you the day in TLV-Jerusalem instead of arriving at night.
Weather wise, would March or October be the best time to visit Israel?
I actually went there last October and this March and the October weather was much much better.
But I think March this year was colder, rainier, windier than usual.
Quote: Weather wise, would March or October be the best time to visit Israel?
Early October is great - but check the calendar; the Jewish religious holidays will result in closure for several days at tourist sites, and can drive up airfare and hotels.
Quote: Early October is great - but check the calendar; the Jewish religious holidays will result in closure for several days at tourist sites, and can drive up airfare and hotels.
I was actually thinking of late March or late October.
Quote: I was actually thinking of late March or late October.
Late March is the end of the rainy season. Late October is the the beginning of the rainy season. When I was last there in early Nov 2014, it was dry with temps mostly in the 70's and 80's, however, the week before I got there it was wet and cold (for Israel).
The weather will be better in Israel than in Boston -- either in late March OR in late October.

As I noted before, look at the calendar for the Jewish holidays: Israel gets a LOT cheaper to visit after the fall holidays are over (which won't happen until the last week of October in 2016), but you probably don't want to be paying the premium to be there as a casual tourist over Passover (again, not an issue for March 2017).