Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel and Jordan ATM and SIM card advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb

I'm deciding if I need to get Shekels or Dinars before traveling over. I'll be in Israel first, arriving in TLV Friday, and then flying over to AMM 2 days later. Thus, my first experience (this trip) in each country is going to be in the international arrivals hall.

Should I be comfortable arriving without local currency each time? I know from FT that there is an ATM just before border control in AMM, and I dont think I need NIS before border control in TLV. I've not used US based excahnges as the rates seem brutal...

Will I need a local SIM card for each country, or are there any regional carriers that service both Israel and Jordan? I'll have to buy in the airport in TLV, I assume, since by the time I get to TLV stores will likely be closed. Recommendations on which carrier to buy if I have a choice?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, an ATM is the best choice in both countries.

And yes a unique SIM is required for each country if you want to avoid roaming fees.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
There is an ATM in the arrivals hall in TLV. Don't exchange cash there as the rate you will get is awful. No idea what the story is with the ATM, but I believe they will be fine as they are from Bank Hapoalim and Bank Leumi. Usually, neither charges an ATM fee, and give a pretty reasonable conversion rate.

Get 2 SIM cards, one for Israel and one for Jordan.

For Israel, there are different opinions, but you can also get one in America before traveling.

Travel Cell charges a daily rental fee of 69 cents, and then 17.9 cents a minute and 31.9 cents a minute to America. I believe they will deliver your phone in America.
Talk n' Save is another highly rated option that I have used personally, before getting an Israeli phone, and have liked.

Let me know if you want more options on the phone.

Can't help with Jordan though. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Check with your bank prior to departure to

1. register your overseas travel

2. confirm overseas use policy

My Capitol One card has no fees for any use

My City AA has a $5 per use fee

My home bank ATM card has a 2% per use fee.

So certainly YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90

For Israel, there are different opinions, but you can also get one in America before traveling.

Travel Cell charges a daily rental fee of 69 cents, and then 17.9 cents a minute and 31.9 cents a minute to America. I believe they will deliver your phone in America.
Talk n' Save is another highly rated option that I have used personally, before getting an Israeli phone, and have liked.
not bad considering that Orange went up to where 1.20 sheks is the cheapest rate per min parts of the day or apx .30 US

If I need to call some friends and Im @ my Hotel, I simply take my laptop out and call their US#s its Free that way
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
not bad considering that Orange went up to where 1.20 sheks is the cheapest rate per min parts of the day or apx .30 US

If I need to call some friends and Im @ my Hotel, I simply take my laptop out and call their US#s its Free that way
I'm with Orange and pay 24.9 agurot/minute, and I pay 9 ag/min at night.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I'm with Orange and pay 24.9 agurot/minute, and I pay 9 ag/min at night.
do you have a contract with them,I dont its 'PrePaid' like AT&Ts GO over here. Not there long enough to make having the contract worthwhile, even thou I get over 3-4 times a yr

it used to be 66ag till before Pesach, when I came in theer was a mesage telling me the good news
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
do you have a contract with them,I dont its 'PrePaid' like AT&Ts GO over here. Not there long enough to make having the contract worthwhile, even thou I get over 3-4 times a yr

it used to be 66ag till before Pesach, when I came in theer was a mesage telling me the good news
Ah, I do have a contract with them.

OTOH, I hate them. They are dishonest, have extremely poor and rude customer service and agents, and I don't mean they're "Israeli." Cellcom is a lot nicer. Thankfully, the Communications Ministry just forced them (all the companies) to lower their rates, though that might not affect pay-as-you-go or prepaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.