Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 7, 11, 10:43 am   #1
NoY

Programs: OW Emerald, Fairmont Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, TK Gold, Visa Infinite, Costa Flat White? Yes!
Which Immigration Desk at Dubai?

Can anyone advise which immigration desk/line one can use at DXB when holding a GCC Resident Visa? Can one use the GCC Nationals desk/line? Many thanks.
NoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 11, 8:24 am   #2

Programs: EK Gold, SV Gold, BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD RIP, VN Plat, SPG Plat
I doubt it, however if you're a member of a UAE visa waiver country (which I assume you are since you don't mention a UAE visa), you can get an e-gate card to speed entry and exit.
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 11, 11:10 pm   #3
NoY

Programs: OW Emerald, Fairmont Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, TK Gold, Visa Infinite, Costa Flat White? Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical View Post
I doubt it, however if you're a member of a UAE visa waiver country (which I assume you are since you don't mention a UAE visa), you can get an e-gate card to speed entry and exit.
Oh, that sounds great. So if I had a Qatari Residence Visa I could use e-gate at DXB?
Old Jul 8, 11, 11:31 pm   #4

The Qatari residency visa doesn't get you anything in the UAE as far as I know.

The ability to get e-gate depends on the passport you hold. If you're a citizen of one of the 33 countries with a visa waiver, you can get an e-gate card for Dubai.
Old Jul 9, 11, 12:17 am   #5
NoY

Quote:
The Qatari residency visa doesn't get you anything in the UAE as far as I know.

The ability to get e-gate depends on the passport you hold. If you're a citizen of one of the 33 countries with a visa waiver, you can get an e-gate card for Dubai.
UK passports get e-gate then.

Sounds great but I have not found that information definitively stated eleswhere. Will investigate further. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 11, 12:55 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
Sounds great but I have not found that information definitively stated eleswhere. Will investigate further. Thanks.
Definitively stated? In the Middle East?

Some discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...residents.html
and here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...lses-visa.html
Old Jul 9, 11, 1:24 am   #7

Programs: UA 1K, QR Pt, EK Au, TK E, CX Ag, SPG Pt, IC Pt/RA, Hyatt Dia, Shang Dia, Marr Au, Hilt Ag
You cannot use the GCC Nationals desk if you are merely a GCC Resident, unfortunately.

I don't believe that anyone besides a UAE Resident can get the e-gate, unless one is an Emirates Skywards Gold member and national of a visa waiver country.

That's at least according to one official source of information:
Dubai government

But, as typical mentions, you never know, though no counter-example has revealed himself/herself on FlyerTalk as far as I can tell.
mecabq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 11, 7:33 am   #8
NoY

Ok, many thanks for the updates guys but now I do have the definitive (for me & Mrs. NoY annyhow ) answer.

A UK passport DOES qualify for e-gate. We now have in our posession e-gate cards which are valid for 2 years each

Did this at DXB T1 (upper level) where there are dedicated e-gate desks. Process took 10 minutes each - and we walked away with the cards - which in itself is a nothing short of a miracle for any UAE-based beauracracy that I have encountered here Brilliant service indeed. This will reduce my weekly commute times massively as the lines at immigration are nuts most days. e-gate is usually empty.

Should work for any of the 33 (?) visa-on-arrival passport holders.
Old Jul 9, 11, 7:35 am   #9

Great

It seems to work unless those who give them out are on a power trip / the UAE has temporarily clamped down.

Glad to be of help

Oh, and I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 3 minutes at an e-gate.
Old Jul 9, 11, 8:17 am   #10
NoY

Quote:
Great

It seems to work unless those who give them out are on a power trip / the UAE has temporarily clamped down.

Glad to be of help

Thank you.

Very happy
Old Jul 10, 11, 4:37 am   #11

Programs: UA 1K, QR Pt, EK Au, TK E, CX Ag, SPG Pt, IC Pt/RA, Hyatt Dia, Shang Dia, Marr Au, Hilt Ag
Quote:
Great

Glad to be of help

Great news. Thanks, NoY, for the information.
mecabq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 11, 5:58 pm   #12

Programs: EK Skywards
great in theory, but last year the e gate system was down on 4 out of 5 of my trips through!
Although you can get your pp stamped at the e gate line in the normal fashion and still less of a queue!
donnabella is offline   Reply With Quote