Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Petra from Amman Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Day trip to Petra from Amman

I wanted to share some information about doing a day trip to the wonderful Petra site from Amman. This is not the cheapest way to do it, but it was wonderful and worked well.

I needed to leave Amman and return the same day. No matter what all the guidebooks say, you can easily cover it all in 6-8 hours. When I mean "all", I mean the high points, the photo stops, etc. In fact, I cannot imagine spending more than one day. The striking sites (monastery, treasury) are so much more amazing than the rest, that after a while the ancillary stuff just is less interesting.

We stayed at the Le Meridien Amman. Which was fantastic. We hired a private package which also was wonderful via Dakkak tours. There are cheaper ways to go. This just worked for us, as it put us in control, and it was hassle free.

We arranged a one day visit via email with the tour company. It was for me and a business colleague. I received email confirmation, and was asked to pay in cash when the driver met me. I received a call the night before at the Le Meridien to confirm the tour that we had arranged via email weeks prior.

We decided to leave at 5:30 am. This was the absolute best thing we ever did. Our driver spoke impeccable English, and arrived in a minivan type vehicle with air conditioning and water. It was clean and nice. We paid him for the trip. We took the 2.5 hour drive to Petra past desert structures and small homes.

When we arrived, the tour agency had set up an official guide. He had been living in or near Petra since age of 5. The tickets were included in the price. We took a horse to the Siq. Everything was included unless I state otherwise. Then we walked down the Siq to the treasury. We arrived at the treasury at 8:30 am, which allowed the perfect sunlight to fall on it. I think that if you go to petra it is critical to arrive early, when it was cool and when the treasury is perfectly lit. It is THE photo op in all of Jordan. It was great. Then we walked with the guide past all of the less important sites (the tombs, the temples, the theater, etc.) to the base of the monastery. It was about 11 am by now. This walk, which terminates near the crown plaza restaurant (and prior to the steps up to the monastery) was a slow amble, sloping downwards. We drank some water, and despite it being June, barely broke even a sweat. If you are fit, you do not need a donkey or camel or chariot to get down to this place, and you will miss the more minor photo ops. Our guide bid us "adieu", after calling a donkey "taxi driver" to take us up to the monastery. The donkey drivers charge 3-5JD, but will ask you for 10 if you are willing to pay. We were, so we were ripped off by a few dinars. Taking the donkeys up the monastery was fun and quick, and every traveler we passed mentioned that they wished they had done that. The 850 steps are a lot for the summer.

We reached the top by 1120am, took pictures, had a drink, and then walked down and we reached the base again by 12:15 or so. At this point, we decided to eat lunch. There are two lunch places. We heard that the crown plaza, at the monastery steps, was better. It was 17 dinars for an enormous buffet. We ate well.

We decided to walk back, as we had seen the major sites. There are camel and donkey taxis right there at the restaurant. They only would charge 2-5 dinars to take you to the treasury. The walk is a slow incline to backtrack. It is more challenging since it is hotter in the afternoon. Despite us being fit, we really sweated a lot. In retrospect I wish I paid the few dinars to go back. If you took a slow walk from the treasury to the monastery earlier, then a ride back is better, since you would have all of your requisite pictures. If you didn't take enough, then you probably should walk back, and although the walk doesn't seem like much, it is a lot warmer at this time, and it is an incline back up, so it is much more taxing.

Arriving back at the treasury by 2pm, the throngs of tourists (which we had missed), were now there. Guess what, the treasury has a terrible shadow on it, since the sun is not shining on it. It is better when the sun goes down, or in the morning. There is no comparison in the pictures, or experience. In other words, leave Amman early like we did. No question.

From the treasury, you can walk back up the siq, or take a chariot for a few dinars. Again, the walk back up is tougher since it is inclined up and it is much hotter. I would consider the chariot if a few dinar doesn't mean much. We walked and again it was fine since we were fit, but we worked up quite the sweat.

WE arrived back at the pert entrance at 2:45 pm, called our driver, and made it back to Amman by 5pm.

We slept both ways in the van as well, so we were refreshed.

Tips:
1. If you can afford a private driver, do it. The JETT bus leaves too late to get the fantastic petra shots at the treasury. It is slow, and you end up spending your time at petra when it is much hotter and the sun is overhead.
2. Bring a hat and sunscreen
3. Bring a small backpack for your camera and water when you ride the donkeys up the monastery
4. Get an official guide - they know they best places for photos and the history
5. Always have a water bottle with you - you can buy almost every 100 yards inside pert
6. Sit down and have lunch - it is a nice treat, but expensive
7. Take the donkey and camel and chariot "taxis" back when you are done with the monastery. You will save time and you will be happy and better rested. It is cheap.
8. Take a donkey up the 800 steps to the monastery - no doubt.
9. Sure you can linger at petra for a few days, but this itinerary we really enjoyed. We saw the major two monuments (the monastery and the treasury), we saw most of everything in between. After those two, everything else seems less special. So don't be dissuaded at all by tours and people who say you need 2-3 days, you have to stay there, etc. If you want a wonderful high impact tour, it is great.

Thanks this is just my opinion.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold
Which tour company did you use, and how much did it cost?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:19 am

I'd like to know the company as well - might be going later this year.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
[QUOTE=sambb;14160979]Day trip to Petra from Amman

We hired a private package which also was wonderful via Dakkak tours.

[QUOTE]
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by sambb
Our guide bid us "adieu", after calling a donkey "taxi driver" to take us up to the monastery. The donkey drivers charge 3-5JD, but will ask you for 10 if you are willing to pay.

There are camel and donkey taxis right there at the restaurant. They only would charge 2-5 dinars to take you to the treasury.
Were the prices above per person or per ride for the two of you?

Originally Posted by sambb
5. Always have a water bottle with you - you can buy almost every 100 yards inside pert
?? You can buy water to refill your water bottle?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Petra is one of the most magnificent places to visit on earth!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We're senior citizens - walked in, to the monastery, the colonnaded streets and the mosaics, etc. Definitely worth it, definitely go early - it's cool still, it's considerably less crowded, the "golden hour" light makes it magic (especially the canyon in and the Treasury).

As sambb says, take plenty of water - and I'd expand and say a broad-brimmed hat plus very comfortable walking shoes.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:21 pm

hello, I am planning a trip end of Aug with my 6 year old child. Is it worthwhile to spend a night at the Moevenpick resort Petra/Marriott? or should I just do the day trip.
Another information i would like to know where can we get data SIM (for ipad) so i dont incur huge amount of data cost. Thank you all.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:28 am

I just did this day trip yesterday, and Petra is amazing!

I think a day trip from Amman is enough, no need to overnight. We booked a hotel taxi driver for the day for 100 JOD (= 100 euros). He picked us up at 6:00, and we arrived at 8:30. It's quite expensive now to get in: 50 JOD for a day pass (we were not asked to prove that we're overnight guests but brought our passport and hotel confirmation just in case; one-day visitors have to pay 90 JOD). For Jordanians, the cost is only 1 JOD.

We spent the whole day until 15:00 exploring the site, mostly by foot but also doing the donkey ride up to the High Place of Sacrifice. The day was tiring, very hot and somewhat physically demanding. You can make use of the donkeys more if you want to hike up to the Monastery (Al Deir), but we walked instead. The donkey owners all lie to you and tell you that walking takes an hour, and the donkey takes 20 minutes. In our case, walking up to the Monastery took 25-30 minutes, exactly the same as the donkeys. In fact, we were right behind them the whole way.

If you take the donkeys, you can't take photos as well, and it's a little scary sometimes as they go near the edge. It costs 5 JOD per ride up or down, but you can bargain a little.

The site was not crowded at all. We left at 15:00 and got to the Dead Sea at around 17:45, after a scenic drive with similar rock formations as Petra and great view of the Dead Sea as you descend. You wouldn't get this view if going to Dead Sea southward from Amman. The public beach facilities at Amman Beach costs 15 JOD for non-Jordanians, excluding towels, locks and water. It was fun to float on the Dead Sea, but it was quite an expensive 20 minutes, as we didn't have time to stay and relax in the other freshwater pools.

From there we got back to our hotel in Amman by 19:00, after a 45-min drive and a couple of souvenir store stops.

It was a very long day, but well worth it.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:22 am

Thanks!! that was very useful.
Which hotel did you stay at Amman pls?
btw i was thinking...can I ride on donkeys half way (or whne i am exhausted?) or do i have to either go all the way on donkey or all the way on foot?
also, are there any restaurants?
for arrival. do you just hop on a taxi or prearrange an airport pick up?
I am thinking about either using my points to stay at Holiday Inn (which some of the comments were dirty beach on trip advisor). Holiday Inn has point break promo on this hotel so each night cost only 5000 points. Alternatively staying at movenpick resort where i was told has the best spa in dead sea...any comments? Thanks a ton!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Wchchang
Thanks!! that was very useful.
Which hotel did you stay at Amman pls?
btw i was thinking...can I ride on donkeys half way (or whne i am exhausted?) or do i have to either go all the way on donkey or all the way on foot?
also, are there any restaurants?
for arrival. do you just hop on a taxi or prearrange an airport pick up?
I am thinking about either using my points to stay at Holiday Inn (which some of the comments were dirty beach on trip advisor). Holiday Inn has point break promo on this hotel so each night cost only 5000 points. Alternatively staying at movenpick resort where i was told has the best spa in dead sea...any comments? Thanks a ton!
I stayed at Le Meridien and Four Seasons. The latter is supposed to be the best hotel in town, and it was very good. The former is average.

You can ride the donkeys up or down or round-trip either of the two uphill trails: to the High Place of Sacrifice or the Monastery. Or they can take you up the first one then over to the second one and then back down - this option is the easiest on you physically but would cut down on photo ops. I didn't notice anyone doing a partial up or downward donkey ride, but I suppose you can flag one down if it's passing by with no passenger. (The donkey owners are very eager for riders, needless to say!)

Many tourists don't even bother with either trails up; some just go as far as the Treasury and then turn back.

You can also ride the donkey carts into (or out of) the Treasury, or a horse all the way back up from the Outer Siq to the Visitor Center.

If you are physically fit and can handle somewhat strenuous hike, I would suggest you just walk as much as possible. The return hike back to the Visitor Center is on an incline and will feel a bit challenging at the end of the day.

There are a couple of restaurants, but August is Ramadan. When I was there last Sunday, the main restaurant was empty. There were a few staff members, so perhaps they were serving. But I'd suggest you bring a picnic lunch or snacks. There is a cafe at the top of the Monastery for snacks and drinks. Due to Ramadan, more than half of the numerous souvenir stands were not open.

I took the hotel car upon arrival at AMM, which cost 38 JOD and was overpriced. A normal taxi should cost 16-18 JOD. On the way back, the taxi driver who "adopted" me for the whole trip charged me 20 JOD.

One thing to note is that when you leave your hotel, all the cabs are "hotel cabs" and have negotiated rates set by the hotel (or so they claim) and are inflated. You have to cross the street or go further to flag down regular taxis with meters (by law) to get the normal price. I didn't bother with that and ended up using the same driver for the whole trip. If you want his name and contact details, feel free to PM me.

Don't know about Holiday Inn. Maybe you can ask at that board or check out their reviews on Tripadvisor. As for a resort at Dead Sea, if you are into sun and sea and really hot weather, by all means go for it. In my case, I just wanted to experience floating on the Dead Sea for a couple of minutes, so I didn't consider that option.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by sfvoyage; Aug 10, 2011 at 4:15 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'm one of those who say that at least 2 whole days in Petra would be good. My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights and didn't regret it. There's lots more to see (among those, seeing the "treasury" from above and the place of high sacrifice).
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
If you are staying in Petra then the Crowne Plaza is a great loacation. Not the most luxurious Crowne Plaza but adequate.

If planning to spend a night in the region then perhaps I can suggest Aqaba on day 2. I agree with OP, one day is enough for Petra.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
I am also of the opinion that one full day is enough in Petra.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:36 am
RRV

Amman to Petra

Can you pls give me the contact for Dakkak tours or let me know how much it cost for the whole trip? I am planning a 2 day sortie from Cairo in March to Petra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.