FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   DXB Transit Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1014189-dxb-transit-visa.html)

kiran_kom Nov 5, 2009 2:36 pm

DXB Transit Visa

Hi,

I'm travelling from IAD-DXB-HYD this Dec. The IAD-DXB leg is on UA and DXB-HYD on IC. I was planning for a 3 day layover in dubai. Does anyone know how I can get the 96 hour transit visa in DXB airport? I have an Indian passport. I done a lot of research online and cant find any conclusive answers.

The Maharba Services folks are asking for $220 per pax. They said it includes my hotel. I have a hotel thru my marriott points. The hotel folks want $250 per pax. Both those number seem a little high to me. The UAE embassy said it doesnt do transit visas.

Can I land up at DXB and get a visa on arrival?

ps: I realize this is the wrong forum. I was hoping to catch someone with an Indian passport and has experience around DXB.

ung1 Nov 5, 2009 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by kiran_kom (Post 12774372)
Hi,

I'm travelling from IAD-DXB-HYD this Dec. The IAD-DXB leg is on UA and DXB-HYD on IC. I was planning for a 3 day layover in dubai. Does anyone know how I can get the 96 hour transit visa in DXB airport? I have an Indian passport. I done a lot of research online and cant find any conclusive answers.

The Maharba Services folks are asking for $220 per pax. They said it includes my hotel. I have a hotel thru my marriott points. The hotel folks want $250 per pax. Both those number seem a little high to me. The UAE embassy said it doesnt do transit visas.

Can I land up at DXB and get a visa on arrival?

ps: I realize this is the wrong forum. I was hoping to catch someone with an Indian passport and has experience around DXB.

This is the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department website on which you can find visa information: http://dnrd.ae/DNRD/News%20And%20Eve...322&lang=en-GB

The transit visa costs about USD 45.

I'm not sure how you can go about getting one. I don't think it is available on arrival. What I'd suggest you do is call up Emirates and ask them what the procedure for getting it if you're not flying EK is. I'm not sure if they'd be able to help you, but they might.

aniruddh77 Nov 5, 2009 7:20 pm

What ung1 says is quite true, AFAIK. Transit visa cannot be obtained on arrival. But I suggest call Merhaba - I've used them before, and there was no mention then (last year) of any hotel charges. They can get just the visa done, as well.

kiran_kom Nov 5, 2009 7:22 pm

I called Emirates once and they said they cant help me if I'm not flying them. Maybe I should try calling again.

aniruddh77 Nov 5, 2009 7:31 pm

Hang on. Citizens of certain countries can get a free visit visa for 30 days on arrival (http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-arriva...ionalities.php).

Also, per http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-transit-dubai.php,

You can obtain a 96 hour transit visa in one of the following ways:

- Pre-apply through the airline, travel agent, or UAE hotel that you are booked with. None of them are likely to arrange a transit visa for you unless you are a customer.

- Obtain one on arrival in Dubai at the Marhaba services counter in Terminal 1, or the Emirates Hotels and Visas for Dubai desk in Terminal 3. This is not guaranteed, as the granting of the visa is subject to Dubai immigration department approval. You will need to buy at least one night in a Dubai hotel from Marhaba or Emirates to be issued a transit visa.

Seems like your hotel night must be bought, but why don't you see if you can get it for a cheaper hotel than something as expensive as $250?

aniruddh77 Nov 5, 2009 7:32 pm

What I also meant to indicate, was that would it help to get the 30-day on arrival visa, instead of the 96-hour transit visa? It seems like there is no mandatory hotel room purchase required for the former.

ung1 Nov 5, 2009 8:46 pm

Citizens of certain countries doesn't include Indian citizens (doesn't matter if you have a Green Card).

Also, If you're getting the visa through them, you'll have to get their overpriced hotel. If you know someone in Dubai, ask them to apply for one for you (though this can be complicated if you aren't an immediate relative).

I don't know if changing your flight is an option for you if the difference in visa fees flying EK makes it worth it, but they have decent fares to India, and you can credit miles to UA (not to mention avoid IC).

Even if a TA can't help you if you aren't a customer, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you what you can do.

Originally Posted by aniruddh77 (Post 12775872)
Hang on. Citizens of certain countries can get a free visit visa for 30 days on arrival (http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-arriva...ionalities.php).

Also, per http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-transit-dubai.php,

You can obtain a 96 hour transit visa in one of the following ways:

- Pre-apply through the airline, travel agent, or UAE hotel that you are booked with. None of them are likely to arrange a transit visa for you unless you are a customer.

- Obtain one on arrival in Dubai at the Marhaba services counter in Terminal 1, or the Emirates Hotels and Visas for Dubai desk in Terminal 3. This is not guaranteed, as the granting of the visa is subject to Dubai immigration department approval. You will need to buy at least one night in a Dubai hotel from Marhaba or Emirates to be issued a transit visa.

Seems like your hotel night must be bought, but why don't you see if you can get it for a cheaper hotel than something as expensive as $250?

Bitterroot Nov 5, 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 12776188)
I don't know if changing your flight is an option for you if the difference in visa fees flying EK makes it worth it, but they have decent fares to India, and you can credit miles to UA (not to mention avoid IC).

A little off thread -- the visa isn't an issue in my case -- but my hypothetical itinerary is similar to OP: LH into DXB, then IC DXB - GOI.

So is the consensus that IC is to be avoided under any circumstances? Their 4x weekly DXB - GOI - (BLR) schedule is better than QR, which arrives GOI from DOH at something like 0335 hours. But, DOH and the QR connection is an alternative, and QR would be the better carrier, other things being equal.

They aren't equal, but still: which of the two ways to GOI would y'all choose?

hserus Nov 5, 2009 9:18 pm

Its a short flight - for IC or any other airline gulf - india dont fly Y, fly J for a very small premium over Y. Should be reasonably ok.

By the way you can also have the Dubai Marriott you're staying at help you get your transit visa. Ask them and see what they charge.

kiran_kom Nov 5, 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by aniruddh77 (Post 12775872)

The cheapest hotel that Maheraba suggested costs $170 per pax/night. They want an additional $50 for the visa fee.... I called up the Maheraba desk in UAE and apparently there is a maheraba desk before I get to immigration. I can get a transit visa through them by coughing up $220 per/pax. This is my failsafe option, I'm hoping it wont get to this.

kiran_kom Nov 5, 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 12776276)
By the way you can also have the Dubai Marriott you're staying at help you get your transit visa. Ask them and see what they charge.

I'm staying at the Renaissance Dubai. They were asking for $250 per person (two of us, $500 total). It seems rather ridiculous figure. I can get a decent four star hotel for 4 nights for $500.

kiran_kom Nov 5, 2009 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot (Post 12776250)
A little off thread -- the visa isn't an issue in my case -- but my hypothetical itinerary is similar to OP: LH into DXB, then IC DXB - GOI.

So is the consensus that IC is to be avoided under any circumstances? Their 4x weekly DXB - GOI - (BLR) schedule is better than QR, which arrives GOI from DOH at something like 0335 hours. But, DOH and the QR connection is an alternative, and QR would be the better carrier, other things being equal.

They aren't equal, but still: which of the two ways to GOI would y'all choose?

Have you looked at Air Arabia? If you are doing a stopover in UAE, then it might work for you. They fly from SHJ to GOI nonstop. SHJ is just 12 kms from DXB.

Bitterroot Nov 6, 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by kiran_kom (Post 12776305)
Have you looked at Air Arabia? If you are doing a stopover in UAE, then it might work for you. They fly from SHJ to GOI nonstop. SHJ is just 12 kms from DXB.

I have noticed the Air Arabia flight.

Any personal or second-hand stories about their service (well, OK, it's an LCC I know, but I'm thinking more about condition of their Airbii, reliability, on-time performance, etc.)?

ung1 Nov 7, 2009 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bitterroot (Post 12779845)
I have noticed the Air Arabia flight.

Any personal or second-hand stories about their service (well, OK, it's an LCC I know, but I'm thinking more about condition of their Airbii, reliability, on-time performance, etc.)?

condition of aircraft, reliability, on-time performance - those aren't criteria based on which one would choose IC. Things seem to have improved now, but there was a time I would go to the airport at least two hours late knowing the flight would be delayed by three hours. That said, I've never flown Air Arabia - only noticed a really long queue at check -in at SHJ (this was about 2 years ago and I've since vowed never to fly IC again). Being a UAE based airline there is greater assurance of safety etc on Air Arabia, and I'd say if the price is right, and you don't need a flexible ticket, go for it!

Bitterroot Nov 7, 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 12785640)
condition of aircraft, reliability, on-time performance - those aren't criteria based on which one would choose IC. Things seem to have improved now, but there was a time I would go to the airport at least two hours late knowing the flight would be delayed by three hours.

Yeah -- I see your point about IC. Since my trip to Dubai and Goa is still a ways off, I started a log, writing down the arrival/departure times of the now
4x weekly IC flights that operate BLR-GOA-DXB vv.

Hasn't been on time at DXB yet, though most days it's 45 - 60 minutes late, not three hours. We'll see how it goes. Even an hour late or so on IC is better at the Goa end than QR arriving at 0335 or Air Arabia arriving at 0515..........unless, of course, IC cancels entirely.