Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

A basic guide to WAS and its airports

A basic guide to WAS and its airports

Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Since bhatnasx is no longer in the area, I figure it is up to all of us to help keep this up-to-date. Here are three new links for the Taxi fares (all of which are currently broken up above).

DCA - http://www.mwaa.com/reagan/1193.htm
IAD - http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_rate.htm
BWI - http://www.bwiairporttaxi.com/ratetable.htm

and a new one for the metrorail system map.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Since bhatnasx is no longer in the area...
Thanks! You are correct, I'm no longer in the DC area (although I hope to move back soon). Spent the past 2+ years in Vegas & moving to NYC next week & will be there for a couple of years probably.

I subscribe to this thread & make updates as people like you post them - so keep them coming & I'm happy to edit.

That said, if there are any DC area regulars who want to "take over" this thread and keep it updated, I'm totally good with that as well!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:31 am

201 to Shady Grove

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but it should probably be added to this thread:

Since March 2011, BWI passengers have an additional transit option to the DC metro area, the MTA commuter bus 201 (schedule here). The 201 runs from the BWI to Shady Grove metro, stopping twice along the way at Park & Rides. Its BWI stops include Southwest's terminal, the international terminal, and the Amtrak station. It takes about an hour to run BWI-Shady Grove. The cost is $5, and unlike the B30, the MTA 201 uses a commuter coach with under-carriage baggage storage.

Note that the schedule is a little weird, as it's trying to provide both commuter and mid-day service. Going from Shady Grove to BWI, the bus runs hourly 4 a.m. to 5 p.m.; going from BWI to Shady Grove, the bus runs hourly 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: *Wood Platinum, AA Platium, HH Gold
Yes, the ICC bus is great. It's cheaper than having a family member drive/pick me up.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by techboyds
The 5A to/from IAD is now $6.
Also, take note that the WMATA airport buses (5A & B30) are nice and new-ish city buses, but do not have much luggage space or even standing room -- just some RJ-sized overhead racks above half of the seats. On a recent 5A trip, we spent 25 minutes idling as passengers tried to squeeze past bags which had piled up in the aisle, and I ended up trapped in the back behind a dozen giant suitcases filling both the aisle and several seats.

If you're traveling with large checked bags, I would recommend that you use other means. The Washington Flyer bus from IAD is just a bit more expensive, but since it's a highway coach it has ample room underneath the bus for bags.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i passed a B30 saturday at about noon. it was an articulated bus, much larger than any i have seen on dc streets. from what i could see, all window seats were taken.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Originally Posted by paytonc
Also, take note that the WMATA airport buses (5A & B30) are nice and new-ish city buses, but do not have much luggage space or even standing room -- just some RJ-sized overhead racks above half of the seats.
That is generally true of the 5A, but the B30 does have a luggage rack in the middle of the coach. This is to be expected, as the 5A is primarily a commuter bus, whereas the B30 is an airport express. On holiday weekends, of course, all bets are off.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:32 pm

Great Resources for Getting around DC

May I also suggest the following:

Getting Around DC by Metro (including fares and maps), Taxi (including transportation from/to Washington DC area airports), Bus, Car, Bicycle (including Capital Bikesharing) and Walking around the National Mall
Getting to Washington DC by Plane (including all three airports and transportation from/to airports), Rail, Bus and Driving to Washington DC.

Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 5:22 pm

Something to keep an eye on: MDOT has proposed adding weekend MARC service, though arrangements with Amtrak may take months to work out.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by choster
Something to keep an eye on: MDOT has proposed adding weekend MARC service, though arrangements with Amtrak may take months to work out.
Target date for starting service is before year end 2013. It would be pretty funny if BWI ended up with better transit access than Dulles..
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
A poster upthread suggested allowing 20 minutes to transfer from MARC's BWI station to the airport terminal. Would this 20 minute transfer also apply to Amtrak? I know the trains use the same station, but wonder whether the shuttle bus coordinates with MARC, or Amtrak, or just goes along on its own schedule?

Any fare for this shuttle bus?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
A poster upthread suggested allowing 20 minutes to transfer from MARC's BWI station to the airport terminal. Would this 20 minute transfer also apply to Amtrak?
Yes, the transfer time applies regardless of how you get to the station drive, bus, bike, MARC, or Amtrak.

The shuttle bus is free, independently operated from the trains, and not coordinated with any train or bus schedules. It is, after all, a shuttle.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by transportprof
A poster upthread suggested allowing 20 minutes to transfer from MARC's BWI station to the airport terminal. Would this 20 minute transfer also apply to Amtrak? I know the trains use the same station, but wonder whether the shuttle bus coordinates with MARC, or Amtrak, or just goes along on its own schedule?

Any fare for this shuttle bus?
It does not matter.....

They use the same lines and same station

Some of the MARC trains are operated by Amtrak. The ones operated by AMtrak are on the MARC schedule.

I am not sure what you are quoting with the 20 min time....I think 20 minutes it what it takes to get from Amtrak/MARC to BWI where they take into account the wait time to get the bus and then the drive from the station to airport.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
The Airport Express MetroBus fare (5A to IAD, and B30 to BWI) went up to $7 on 6/29/2014 - same fare using cash or SmarTrip card.

Phase I of the new Silver Line extension of Metrorail service starts running on 7/26/2014. See www.silverlinemetro.com for more information. There will be lots of changes in bus services connecting the end of the Silver Line to Dulles Airport at that time.

No change planned to the 5A Airport Express MetroBus.

Washington Flyer Coach. Becomes the Washington Flyer Silver Line Express - airport-operated express bus service between IAD and Wiehle-Reston East Metro station. Replaces express bus service between IAD and West Falls Church Metro station. Buses also will be more frequent. They currently run every 30 minutes; when the new line opens, they will run every 20 minutes– and every 15 minutes during some weekday peak hours. Fare will be $5 each way. Riders will be able to pay with cash or credit cards, but the buses will not be equipped to take SmarTrip cards.

Fairfax Connector. Local bus service. Route 981 connects IAD and Wiehle-Reston East Metro station, with several stops. Route 983 replaces 981 when Udvar-Hazy is open, and extends the run past IAD to Udvar-Hazy. See: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connect...hedule/983.pdf Fare is $1.75.

I'll post more details as they are announced.

Last edited by Annandaler; Jan 3, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Time to update the thread. As of Saturday, you will have multiple public transport options to get to/from IAD.
1. Fairfax Connector line 981/983 for to the Wiehle Metro Station for a grand total of $1.75 (30 mins to the metro)
2. Silver Line Express for $5 to the same metro station (I imagine the ride won't be more than 15 mins), wifi.
3. Metrobus route 5A for $6 (1h4m to L'Enfant Plaza).

If you have some time to kill at IAD and want to go visit the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, the 981/983 bus will take you there in less than 15 mins. See timetable above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.