Search

Philly Cheesesteaks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Philly Cheesesteaks

What comes on a Philly Cheesesteak from Phildelphia? sliced beef, sauteed onions, cheese?

Where is the best place to eat one?
Old Dec 13, 2002, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe it or not, genuine Philly cheese steaks are a la carte, ie you can choose whatever you prefer as long as it is sliced steak, cheese (whiz or sometimes cheddar), onions, italian peppers etc on an italian roll. They are normally eaten outdoors at Pat's, Gino's and other choice Philly neighborhood restaurants. They typically are 1200+ calories. Burp!

MisterNice
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sweet Willie asks:

"Where is the best place to eat one?"

As a New Yorker with many relatives in Philadelphia, I can attest to the fact that the answer to that question is a subject of much debate among true Philly junkfood addicts. Everybody has his favorite place, and almost all of them are very good.
I personally like Pat's in South Philly, although lately I have taken to going to another place on Oregon Avenue called Tony Luke's, partly because they have great sandwiches (after you've tried the cheesesteak, go next for the pork Italian) and partly because it's so convenient to both the Bridge from NJ and the hockey rink at the FU Center.
No matter what, it's hard to go wrong with a real Philly cheesesteak "fried and hot" (translation - with fried onions and hot peppers).
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:56 pm

SweetWillie- This is a huge debate among Philadelphians (Where to get the best steak). Personally, I'm a big fan of Jim's Steaks on South Street. Also, Steak and Hoagie Works in the NE part of Philly makes one of the best.

What is in a steak? Anything you want. But yes, typically it's a slice or broken beef and cheese. I'm a big fan of the pizza steak- beef, sauce, and provolone cheese. Also, steaks come in chicken too. These are also equally delicious (chicken and american cheese). Try it with bacon for an added heart-attack.

Yes, these steaks are very high in calories- but worth it to eat once in awhile (not every day).
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:52 am

Pats!!!!
Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:23 pm

Sweet Willie, I grew up in downtown Philadelphia (only people outside Philadelphia--the suburbs--refer to it as Philly).

Here is the lowdown:

Jim's Steaks: A South Street establishment with good cheesesteaks when you are trying to find an "antibiotic" for the alcohol poisoning you have acquired from having too many margaritas at the Copa accross the street (hopefully you tried the "spanish fries" which are out of this world). You might want to try the "pizza steak" with provolone and leave the "purest" experience for Pat's or Geno's.

Pat's Steaks & Geno's: 9th & Passyunk Avenues. Accross the street from one another. It is a toss up here. I'd vote for Pat's only because I went to high school with Rick Olivieri, whose family started Pat's (by the way, Rick has his own establishment downtown at the Reading Terminal--Rick's Steaks).

You might want to consider driving to Atlantic City for the White House (Mississippi and Arctic Avenues, Atlantic City, 609-345-8599). It is the bread (something about the "salt" in the water) that makes this one TERRIFIC. There are offshoots of White House in Ventner and Margate that I can give you which are good, but not as good as the White House (try the tuna for the road!!!)

Dalessandro's in Roxborough is a great choice as well. It is ashame that "Lee's Hoagie's" on South Street had tax evasion problems in the early 90s because that was a classic. Ishkabibble's on South Street makes a mean "chicken cheesesteak". Ask for a "Gremlin" (Grape Juice and Lemonade) if you go there!!! Abner's in West Philly (at University of Pennsylvania) is okay, but only if you have swilling down the keg beer....
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tokiovd:
Sweet Willie, I grew up in downtown Philadelphia (only people outside Philadelphia--the suburbs--refer to it as Philly).</font>
"Downtown" Philadelphia??? Wouldn't that be "Center City"?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Abner's in West Philly (at University of Pennsylvania) is okay, but only if you have swilling down the keg beer....</font>
Have to disagree with that. Abner's was always pretty bad in my book. Even after plenty of keg beer. About the only thing it has going for it is price (but only when Penn hoops scores 100+ points in a home win, free steak with your ticket stub).

Around the Penn campus, some food trucks do decent cheesesteaks (Sophie's was among the better ones). For traditional cheesesteak joints (i.e. not mobile ones!) probably Lee's Hoagies at 41st/Walnut was about the best around the campus.

[This message has been edited by Herb687 (edited 02-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Herb687 (edited 02-21-2003).]
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:47 pm

I lived in Philly for five years while going to school there, and as a unabashed junk food lover, I have to say that Philly is the junk food capital of the US, and the philly cheese steak is the king of junk food sandwiches.

I used to be a Jim's man, and I have tried Abners a few years back. I even sampled Geno's last year. But I have to say, the best steaks that I've had have been at Pat's. I know its the safe choice but I have to say, I have tried the rest and Pat's *is* the best.

Oh, and none of that solid cheese! Whiz all the way! And if you are a true glutton for punishment, buy two large cokes and try the hot sauce.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Let's revive the great Philadelphia cheesesteak debate. Any new opinions on the best cheesesteak in town?

Also while we're at it, why not also suggest the best spot for a hoagie? I'll nominate Rocco's hoagie stand in the Reading Terminal Market as one of my old favorites (although I haven't been there in a few years so I hope they are still in business)
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
What comes on a Philly Cheesesteak from Phildelphia? sliced beef, sauteed onions, cheese?

Where is the best place to eat one?
</font>
Among the best places to eat one is "3000 Miles To Philadelphia Eat Here," in West LA on Lincoln Bl & Superba Aves. between Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:50 pm

Tony Lukes (the original) at Oregon and something. Maybe 3rd or so.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sometimes my fiancé and I get cheesesteak cravings so we hop in his car and drive down to Philly ONLY to get cheesesteak. After we're done, we drive back to Manhattan.

There is only one place which is truly the best: Pat's.

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'll be downtown Philadelphia at the Westin. Are any of the above 'walking' distance? Or should I eat lunch first, and then check into the hotel?

Is there anything healthy to eat for my wife? Or is healthy 'hold the cheese'.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MP
Ack!

That thing is an MI in bread!

My left arm is tingling at the very thought!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
I'll be downtown Philadelphia at the Westin. Are any of the above 'walking' distance? Or should I eat lunch first, and then check into the hotel?
</font>
Eat first ; it's not walking distance from Center City unless you want to go for one really long walk. South Philly is where Pat's is, and Dan, trust me...it's that good. Wait on line and when you get to the window, have your money ready (cash only) and just say "chee wit" (with onion----that is the best way!).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
Is there anything healthy to eat for my wife?</font>
No, not really. But you don't have cheesesteaks everyday---this is truly special. If she really cannot have cheesesteaks, she's better off waiting until after you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.