Wiki Posts
Search

How to get to IAD from Downtown DC Tuesday morning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
How to get to IAD from Downtown DC Tuesday morning

I know, for the opposite direction, the first advice I got on a my previous post, was to use google.
Now, I have this flight from IAD:
TUE 5 SEP 2017
WASHINGTON-DULLES, US (IAD) TO TORONTO, CA (YTZ)
10:55 AM Washington-Dulles, US (IAD) Arrive at airport by 9:25 AM

So I am asked to be at the airport 90 minutes before the flight to Canada. My hotel is downtown - 14th NW and I st NW.
I will probably get an UBER or taxi - if my UBER app will not work - so, what would be the best time to get on the UBER (or a taxi for the same reason)to be at IAD in time. It's a work day and it's supposedly rush hour.
Not familiar with traffic hazards and fluidity in DC but comparing to Toronto where I live I would think the latest I should be in the car is 8:00 am.

Any advice or any other smarter alternatives are welcome. I am traveling with my wife who has some mobility issues and moves slower than normal. We'll just have a carry-on spinner - the smallest size , maybe 20" ???

Thank you.

Last edited by ticu; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:14 pm

8 am should be fine.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:31 am

I think it should take you no more than hour to get to IAD. The path out of DC from that location isn't bad. After that, you'll be going against traffic. And, then its usually smooth sailing on the Dulles Access Road. But I'm all for adding some extra time as a cushion. That route isn't one I've taken more than once or twice. And the hour I suggest is actual driving time and doesn't include loading an unloading.

I would probably take a taxi or Uber.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I am also wondering how slow/long could be security lines at IAD for passengers to Canada, in the event I won't get awarded my usual TSA Pre-check - I fly an airline I haven't flown before (Porter Airlines) and I am not sure I saw a place where to input the trusted traveler ID (Nexus) on Porter's website.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With no traffic, allow 45 mins. At that time of day, allow 1:15. 90 minutes prior to departure is comfortably in advance even if you don't get Pre-Check.

But, presumably you will know if you don't have Pre-Check before you leave for IAD, so can adjust for that if you wish.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

consider getting a wheelchair with driver. although they do not require payment, i think $10 probably is adequate. they will cut lines for you.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A new low. Even for FT.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Lyft is much better than Uber in DC area.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ticu
Thank you. I am also wondering how slow/long could be security lines at IAD for passengers to Canada, in the event I won't get awarded my usual TSA Pre-check - I fly an airline I haven't flown before (Porter Airlines) and I am not sure I saw a place where to input the trusted traveler ID (Nexus) on Porter's website.
According to the CBP Porter does not take part in pre-check - which explains why there is no place to input your ID!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I am back now so I think I should post un update.
I ended up taking a Suburban the hotel arranged for us for $60. I handed out the driver $65. UBER was quoting the trip between $40-$55 so I thought that for convenience I should not bother chasing for the UBER car on the sidewalk lugging my bags. It took the car 45 minutes from Hilton Garden Inn downtown to IAD (7:45 am-8:30 am). Not bad traffic at all along the way. A little congestion on highway from about Harrison St to after exit 69 , and after that pretty fluid. At IAD no TSA Pre-check for Porter passengers, so shoes off,everything off, etc.. but it wasn't crowded so it didn't take long.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ticu
I ended up taking a Suburban the hotel arranged for us for $60. I handed out the driver $65.
I'm sure the Suburban driver was delighted with your generous tip!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I'm sure the Suburban driver was delighted with your generous tip!
Yeah it was a little more than nothing. It looked though like he was OK with it. That seemed more like a private car than a car service company car. I would think the money went all to the driver (with maybe a cut to the hotel person who arranged for it) as opposed to a taxi service or UBER where they would get a percentage of the fare. I could be wrong though. Maybe I should have tipped double? And one more thing: I haven't ask for a Suburban - I asked for a car. It could have been a Hyundai Accent or so.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by slawecki
consider getting a wheelchair with driver. although they do not require payment, i think $10 probably is adequate. they will cut lines for you.
Confirmation that some people are faking it.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Confirmation that some people are faking it.

dear deaf flyer, I'm 81 years old, can walk 200 feet with no problems. most walk ways are well over 200 feet. i am unable to continue comments on your post without getting banned.

how do you confirm that some people are faking it?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by slawecki

how do you confirm that some people are faking it?
The easiest way is noting which passengers boarding with a wheel chair don't wait for one when deplaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.