Search

Hyperloop NYC-WAS <30 min from city center to city center

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Hyperloop NYC-WAS <30 min from city center to city center

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-d-c-hyperloop
Elon Musk Says He Has 'Verbal' OK To Build N.Y.-D.C. Hyperloop
A plan to build an ultrafast Hyperloop tube train has been given "verbal [government] approval" to connect large cities on the East Coast, tech entrepreneur Elon Musk says. He adds that the system would whisk passengers from New York to Washington, D.C., in 29 minutes.
Any idea on how this would affect airlines and Amtrak?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'll believe it when I see it which I anticipate to be sometime around 2050 or later knowing the state and local governments in between that might have something to say about it and can make what should be a relatively short project take forever (see Silver Line extension to IAD, new Hudson River tunnels, etc.).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I can't fathom what this would cost to build.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd go with $25B (current dollars), 10 years to get approvals, 10 years to build - 2040 with some contingency, at best.

Amtrak's probably not cancelling their next-gen trainset orders quite yet.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

Not a single government / transit agency has confirmed this

http://jalopnik.com/heres-a-running-...s-o-1797094244
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
There is no such thing as a "verbal approval" in government permitting. He may have gotten positive response to a pitch but he apparently hasn't even started the EIR process. That and the various permits will take a lot of time, particularly since it would involve multiple jurisdictions. It sounds good but don't hold your breath.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:23 am

If this comes to pass, and let's say it comes to pass in 25 years, it's impossible to predict how that affects other transit that's around at that time.

But it bears mentioning that air travel didn't kill train travel on this route and Acela didn't kill regional trains either. It's all a matter of price.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
But it bears mentioning that air travel didn't kill train travel on this route
I don't see air travel and train travel competing on this route. Flying up to JFK/LGA is great for connecting flights, but not for going into the city. Going out to DCA (or heaven forbid, IAD or BWI) only to fly to LGA/JFK/EWR and have to take a train or taxi back into the city is a very circuitous route.

If Musk's plan comes to pass, I'm seeing it as an Amtrak competitor. But like you mentioned, price is almost everything.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The punishingly long time needed to get environmental approvals and overcome other permitting obstacles ("see Silver Line extension to IAD, new Hudson River tunnels, etc.") is a real problem. Musk's pipe dream drawing some attention to that would be worthwhile, even if his discussion of punching 200+ miles of tunnels through some of America's most intensely-developed cities looks comically naive.

His scheme won't be worthwhile if it becomes another futuristic vision (see maglev) that persuades people to hold off on investing in the kind of intercity transportation that the rest of the world knows already works and is busy building: high-speed rail.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If this comes to pass, and let's say it comes to pass in 25 years, it's impossible to predict how that affects other transit that's around at that time.

But it bears mentioning that air travel didn't kill train travel on this route and Acela didn't kill regional trains either. It's all a matter of price.
but air certainly killed interurban travel in the mid west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.