Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 hours at IAD- passing the time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

5 hours at IAD- passing the time?

I am flying into IAD and meeting up with colleagues flying in from overseas. My flight arrives around 9AM while theirs is not scheduled to arrive until around 1PM (plus they'll have to clear immigration). I am gold with VS and my first thought was to pass the time there but since I am not flying in on Virgin I will not be able to access their lounge.

Are there any lounges at IAD where I could purchase a day pass?
Failing that any suggestions for a reasonable spot post security to pass some time and get some work done?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:44 pm

There are a couple of lounges that you might want to look at. Just a FYI, though, I have no experience buying a pass for these or using on arrival, as I have access through other means and DC is usually my final destination.

You can definitely buy a United Club pass- $59, and the t/c say that is same day arrivals/departures are eligible to purchase. In my experience these are average lounges.

Lounge Buddy looks like they will also sell access to the TK/LH lounges too. I have no experience with them or the LH lounge, but Turkish only asks me what airline I'm departing on when using my PP (they haven't asked for a BP yet). The Turkish lounge is very nice, and around lunchtime has some fairly solid offerings.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/IAD
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are also lots of nooks and crannies at IAD. At that time of day, you ought to be able to just find one and grab a work station if that is what you want to do.

If you are adventurous, the Smithsonian Air & Space annex out there is a quick bus ride from IAD and opens at 10 AM. There are lockers for carry-on.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'd second the suggestion of the Air & Space center. Don't let the word "annex" fool you, it's where they store much of the good stuff (which is too big to fit at the main museum in DC).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'd second the suggestion of the Air & Space center. Don't let the word "annex" fool you, it's where they store much of the good stuff (which is too big to fit at the main museum in DC).
And by "good stuff" we're talking the space shuttle Discovery, the Enola Gay, the Dash 80 707 prototype, an Air France Concorde, and a whole lot more.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I always learn something on Flyertalk. The Air and Space center sounds amazing.
I had also never thought of Loungebuddy, assuming it was something that required a membership. It's a good option to keep in mind.

I appreciate all of the help. Thanks again.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DCA writer
And by "good stuff" we're talking the space shuttle Discovery, the Enola Gay, the Dash 80 707 prototype, an Air France Concorde, and a whole lot more.
And by "a whole lot more" we're talking A. WHOLE. LOT. MORE.

(my personal other favorite not listed above - the SR-71 Blackbird)

Link to floorplan and maps: https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udv...r-plans-guides
Old May 12, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Technically, that facility is the Udvar-Hazy Center. The Fairfax Connector bus # 983 connects the museum and the airport every 20 minutes for $1.75 cash fare. Senior fare (65+) is $.85 - just show the driver your Medicare card. The bus uses Curb 2E at Dulles.

Information desks in the Dulles baggage claim area next to claim 6 and claim 11 can steer you in the right direction.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. I'm a bit of a gear head and this is right up my alley.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Hell these days the Downtown Smithsonian is the Annex....
Old May 26, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I wanted to provide and update (and thanks). I ended up getting a pass to the Turkish Airlines lounge via loungebuddy and spending the time working. However, this was much different from my usual day to day. The lounge was peaceful and a good atmosphere to work in. I was able to sip Turkish coffee and grab the occasional intriguing snack. Due to the window view table that I claimed I also got a nice clear view of JAL's Star Wars Liveried plane as it pulled up to the gate outside of the lounge. All in all it was a nice, relaxing break (if that makes any sense, considering that I was working) before the hectic, hamster wheel pace resumed once my colleagues arrived.

The Udvar-Hazy Center is at the top of the list for a non working trip to the area so that I can enjoy it without time and travel constraints.

Thank you all for your suggestions and for broadening my horizons a bit.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Glad to hear it rsqrott. I think you'll enjoy Udvar-Hazy when you get a chance to go.
JAL's Star Wars Liveried plane as it pulled up to the gate outside of the lounge.
One minor correction in that it's ANA (NH1/2) that owns the Star Wars planes and flies to IAD. As much as I'd love JAL to start flying to DC, they seemingly don't listen to random people's requests for new routes
Old May 27, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Glad to hear it rsqrott.

One minor correction in that it's ANA (NH1/2) that owns the Star Wars planes and flies to IAD. As much as I'd love JAL to start flying to DC, they seemingly don't listen to random people's requests for new routes
Argh, you're completely correct! It was ANA. And to think I stuck to coffee so I have no excuse for the lapse .
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Argh, you're completely correct! It was ANA. And to think I stuck to coffee so I have no excuse for the lapse .
Now, was it R2-D2 or BB-8?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.